AMD

Updated Jul 24, 2014

3.1 1,099 reviews

AMD President & CEO Rory Read

Rory Read

Pros
  • Very laid back culture across the board and you can have an awesome work-life balance(in 101 reviews)

• Nice campus, flexible work hours, some good people left but maybe not for much longer(in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management in marketing is a complete train wreck(in 50 reviews)

• This impacted work/life balance very negatively(in 20 reviews)

1,099 Employee Reviews

great opportunities for a career path

principal member of staff engineer (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsExcellent Profesional Culture; professionalism and great personal respect.
    Exciting project to work on

ConsSome organizations have a top down modus of operandus. Some preferential treatment

Advice to Senior ManagementGive equal opportunityto women.
    More effective leadership , lead by example.

Work is nice but compensation not !!

ASIC/Layout Design Engineer II (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsWork can be very challenging and fun depending on what team you get into
    Career growth opportunities are ok ok.
    Very good benefits and 401k plan

ConsCompensation could be very challenging
    General image of the company is not that good in the industry and recent layoffs has made it worse
    Usually no difference in bonus/pay hikes between high and average performers
    Lot of good people have left. So only few people are remaining and others are new

Advice to Senior ManagementStick to the current plan and focus on execution

Development Engineer in 2014

SMTS Design Engineer (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsExcellent engineer staff and cooperative environment

ConsUnhealthy business, bad bonuses as a result. No job stability. Super efforts are the expectation and are undervalued.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen building new businesses, talk to the employees instead of just giving them a new assignment and assuming they'll like it.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Earn Your Stripe, Join a Company Re-Defining Itself

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI love AMD and I worked in Corporate Marketing.

Yes, AMD's salaries are extremely competitive. Work/life balance is yours to own as long as you deliver. However, the real selling factor is the people: Colette LaForce is easily the most personable CMO I've had the pleasure of working for in my career. She is open to new ideas, critical feedback and in turn her leadership mostly mirrors these traits. The marketing team at AMD across the board is full of great leaders who are passionate and intelligent.

The organization I worked in is full of go getters who work hard but, in my opinion, are ultimately under appreciated because of AMD's historical engineering and sales focus.

ConsAs the company is mid-turn around, there is some natural confusion and oftentimes bureaucracy. This is a symptom of frequent reorgs and historical cultural traditions. This has unfortunately resulted in sub-optimal, siloed processes and an unwillingness to accept change.

Enablement is a real issue at AMD as profitability goals have caused opex pressure, resulting in limited resources.

Advice to Senior ManagementBreak down traditional barriers - open yourself up to risk. Exit old go to market strategies gracefully and truly enable your new strategy and growth businesses. Wrangle quarter end, margin killing, gray market deals to hit numbers and create real value for your products -- they are competitive. Unite the marketing function and give it purpose in the new world outside of communications and events. You need it for channel and you need it for growth in relationship focused business models. Marketing needs to generate leads, sales needs to take them.

Great engineering team. Need better management.

Design Engineer II (Current Employee)

ProsReally talented group of engineers. Can attack any problem head-on and will come up neat solutions.

ConsUnrealistic schedule with not enough background analysis of the requirements/features has led to chaotic project execution and sub-optimal design. This impacted work/life balance very negatively.

I enjoyed working at AMD

Engineer (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsFlat organization - managing your own work
    Personal growth - provide trainings

ConsCompensation - on the low side
    Work/Life balance - night calls

Advice to Senior Managementgood place for your career if you want to learn and ok with frequent organization changes

Good company to develop your skills by being given responsibility

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsAMD will give you responsibility and expect you to perform. This is a great way to gain true growth and improvement in your skills - a good school in that sense. Also, AMD has a culture of developing really good products from the ground up. They do this by thinking out of the box, which results in new technologies or better ways of delivering solutions. Great research, engineering and product development teams.

ConsAMD has always relied on layoffs to control their OPEX. When times are good, the company shares its success with employees, which is great. But when times are bad, they wont hesitate to cut employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementBeware of the long term effects that layoffs can have on your reputation as an employer. Find other means to control expenses and maintain a stable work force, even in growth cycles. Especially in sluggish economic times, people value stability. Don't ever lose focus on the importance of keeping your products on the leading edge.

So much potential, but where are the visionary leaders?

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsDespite all the engineering/technical talent that has left in the past several years (mostly by choice, although layoffs have been devastating to morale as well as productivity), there are still some pretty sharp people around who want to do amazing things and might actually know how if given a chance and some breaks.

ConsDespite their many years of experience, none of the most senior leaders has experience in a role similar to what they are currently in, none has been faced with the internal and external challenges facing AMD, most do not really understand the semiconductor industry or the markets AMD is targeting, and sadly, none really have the support of the employee population anymore (that started evaporating almost two years ago).

Advice to Senior ManagementProbably can't replace senior leaders at this point as few really experienced leaders would want to come to AMD. That means the ones we have better get much smarter and skillful much quicker.

Co-op Intern

Co-Op Engineer (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsGood people - very good environment, probably one of the best company for electrical people.

ConsAs I was in software division, there was not enough learning, you have to do everything by yourself.

No code reviews, no testing..

Current Work environment and culture

SMTS Design Engineer (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsCutting edge. Allow innovation and new ideas. Projects are very relevant. Work across many sites in Asia, India and North America.

ConsDoes not have money to hire and work machines and cad. Teams are stressed with current resources. Have to fight to get needed computing resources.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen profitable hire more people

Worked for AMD? Contribute to the Community!