AMD Reviews

Dr. Lisa Su

1. Great environment for a job in this field in Colorado

Current Employee - Design Engineer I in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - Design Engineer I in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at AMD full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Work is challenging, fun, and rewarding! There are a ton of interesting people and a lot of the team members enjoy each others company and it's a pretty good group. Pay is competitive, location is amazing, Importantly, the mid-level management (who the engineers deal with) is VERY flexible with hours, with taking time off, with load balancing in difficult times. I've literally never been overworked. Barring compute limitations, there's not a lot of excessive meetings and red tape to do actual work, the engineering team is pretty efficient.

Cons

There's not much effort put into training because there are a lot of smart stubborn people around who eventually just figure things out the hard way, but that's just stupid and frankly inefficient. The engineering team needs to better communicate concepts and strategies to each other and to new hires. There's a lot of people in their own world and like things done their own way, but this is unhealthy because if you don't collaborate and communicate then there are going to be different peoples' expectations that are at odds with each other. I don't think this is done intentionally though and most are courteous enough to take time to help you understand and open minded enough to change their minds if need be.

HEALTH CARE PLAN is lackluster (although it's essentially free) - little to no coverage for mental health, and if you want to see a specialist or go to urgent care, better start putting some $ into your HSA. It's about to get even worse too as the company will not seed HSA's in the coming years, so it's no better than out of pocket for most people. The more pricey plans don't have enough value for most people to warrant consideration.

Give us a better health care plan. I know for a FACT there are several of us who need better mental health care but are too embarrassed to say anything, and for a job that relies so much on the brain, it's really important that it works well.

2. Good experience

Former Contractor - Senior Administrative Assistant in Fort Collins, CO
    Former Contractor - Senior Administrative Assistant in Fort Collins, CO

I worked at AMD as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Good immediate management. Fairly open in decision making processes and good benefits.

Cons

Never know if the next new CVP will decide to move your job elsewhere. Or do layoffs.

3. Sr. Mask Designer

Current Employee - Senior Mask Designer in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Mask Designer in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at AMD full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great health benefits and nice 401k. Great CAD and IT support. In general a comfortable work environment with folks that really want to resolve problems.

Cons

I saw very few Cons at AMD. A couple are loss of 1 month Sabatical after 5 yrs worked and loss of ESPP.

I'd like to see management take a better look at future markets.

5. AMD has been the best company I've worked for in my career.

I have been working at AMD

Pros

AMD offers tremendous growth opportunities for circuit design engineers. Designers at AMD are encouraged to reach their full potential and get great support from their managers.

Cons

CAD development and CAD management are weak points for AMD. The culture behind it does not promote good software design practices.

AMD senior management needs to listen to the engineers and not just the MBAs if they are going to succeed.

6. better than nothing

Current Employee - Design Engineer II in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - Design Engineer II in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at AMD

Pros

flexible working hours
    good home work balance

Cons

poor project scheduling
    frequent mgmt change

get dirk back

7. Still a nice place to work, really needs to be profitable again.

I have been working at AMD

Pros

Talented people and the freedom and opportunities given.

Cons

AMD is not profitable and they can't continue this way. We need to keep the people we have a keep compensating them well to remain competitive.

Make some money.

8. Happy engineer at an unhappy company.

I have been working at AMD

Pros

There is lots of freedom as an engineer to propose ideas and work on them. The company is small enough that an individual has the opportunity to have a real impact on the company, but big enough to have a real impact on the industry

Cons

The company is not competing well against Intel, so the bonuses and raises are small. Senior management has no ability to make a successful strategy, or even know how to develop a feasible strategy.

First, learn how to schedule a project. Then, come up with a plan involving successful projects. Last, have a strategy for dealing with our competitors.