AMD Reviews

3.2
1,158 Reviews

AMD President & CEO Dr. Lisa Su
Dr. Lisa Su

Pros
  • Very laid back culture across the board and you can have an awesome work-life balance (in 109 reviews)

• Good work/life balance, pretty flexible work hours as long as you deliver on things (in 58 reviews)

Cons
  • This impacted work/life balance very negatively (in 23 reviews)

• Senior management in marketing is a complete train wreck (in 51 reviews)

More Highlights

ARM, x86, Graphics, SoC Know-How All Under One Roof

I have been working at AMD full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Unmatched IP, brilliant new and young CEO, ambitious roadmaps, paving the way on "Semi-custom" SoCs for big customers.

Cons

Lots of change, competing with Intel is like fighting a gorilla on steroids who makes up all the rules of the fight. But Intel increasingly less relevant to AMD's future.

Focus on great products and customers, trust that Intel Inside has had its day, empower employees even more, do fewer great products even if it means missing out on some market segments.

Good technique, poor management

I worked at AMD

Pros

Much things to do, period!

Cons

Agree with your manager on everything, otherwise, game over!

Do things correctly!

It's Challenging but in a Good Way

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at AMD full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I'm very happy working at AMD, yes it has had some ups and downs but that is everywhere and at AMD always provides opportunities to learn and grow to meet the challenges. My management team is smart, decisive and empowers me to do great work. We have awesome health care benefits and on par with everyone else on holidays, vacation, 401K, bonuses, etc. After 5 years I am still happy and not looking for another job

Cons

Wish we were downtown on the main transit lines, my commute to Southwest Parkway is rough,

Typical large tech company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at AMD full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you have a love for technology and the opportunity to change the computing industry this is a great company to work for. AMD is currently working on a lot of exciting new products, there are plenty of great projects to work on if you know what you’re looking for.

Cons

AMD is understaffed in certain areas and that makes it hard to have a good work life balance if you work in one of those areas. It can also be hard to find the resources needed to complete your job. Like most big tech companies it also feels like you are just a number to upper management.

Please put a big emphasis on improving the company culture and communication between business units and teams—the different business units/teams tend to keep separate which can make broad planning hard. Also keep pushing for cutting edge design wins, when we have great technology coming it’s easier for us to do our jobs and be inspired by them.

As a contract employee the pay is above average but the short contract with little notice it was ending was shocking.

Former Employee - Engineering Technician in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Engineering Technician in Austin, TX

I worked at AMD as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Above average pay. Flexible hours. Onsite cafeteria. One on one reviews with management every other week are great to stay on track of my goals and what is expected of me.

Cons

Short term contract. I was told I would be there a year but contract was cancelled after 6 months due to budget cuts. I was there once before and it lasted 18 months which was great so I expected to be there at least a year but they pulled the plug early which caught me by surprise.

Don't hire too many contractors just to let them go after a few months. Utilize their unique skills and let them wear several hats and keep them around for a while. I have and always will be a loyal employee even as a contractor. I understand business is just business and contractors cost money so when the contract ends, it's not because I did something wrong. However, it would be nice to have the contact last at least as long as we are told it will.

Enriching experience to work at AMD

Former Employee - Product Management in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Product Management in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at AMD as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Work culture, company values, team structures enhance learning environment

Cons

Many people appear to be leaving.

Not as great as it used to be.

I worked at AMD

Pros

Good location, some good folks still around, great technology, but very immature processes and product development methodology.

Cons

Very limited opportunities to grow or develop. Performance- good or bad- is not rewarded or punished. No focus on keeping top talent.

AMD Experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at AMD full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good work life balance with time off as needed.

Cons

PC market on the decline. Difficult career advancement.

Poorly managed

Former Employee - Test Technician in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Test Technician in Austin, TX

I worked at AMD full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good co-workers, laid-back environment, work-life balance. Lenient on time off, if needed, on short notice e.g. having to pick up kids from school.

Cons

Poor management, empty promises, subpar compensation, hurry up and wait mentality, benefits slowly cut. When the going is good it's GOOD, but when it's bad it's UGLY.

Create value in your employees by cross-training, continuing education and inspiring. Don't make hiring decisions based on who has been your friend the longest.

down the way

Current Employee - PMTS in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - PMTS in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at AMD full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

still there are good talent people

Cons

bad management and worst marketing/platform team

don't be fooled by those fellow and CTO which most know nothing but just politics