AMD

3.1
1,230 Reviews

AMD President & CEO Dr. Lisa Su
Dr. Lisa Su

Pros
  • Potentially good work/life balance if you don't have too many conference calls in off hours (in 114 reviews)

• Good work/life balance, pretty flexible work hours as long as you deliver on things (in 62 reviews)

Cons
  • short staffed in terms of resources and can impact your work life balance (in 27 reviews)

• Senior management in marketing is a complete train wreck (in 50 reviews)

More Highlights

Big name, good products and good benefits.

Former Employee - House Wife in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - House Wife in Austin, TX

I worked at AMD full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Stability, friendly, caring, safety and equality.

Cons

Ordinary environment, not clean enough and dark.

Increase stability.

Improve environment.

Hire more people to replace the retirees.

Enjoyable challenging work, good people, a little uncertain...

Current Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff
    Current Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff

I have been working at AMD full-time

Pros

I find the work enjoyable and challenging, and feel like I am appreciated. Still working on reasonably cutting edge technology. Upper leadership seems to be trying their best to stabilize the company and grow it for the future. Reasonably good benefits. Generally a nice place to work in terms of atmosphere.

Cons

Life as the underdog can get a bit wearing - only time will tell if the bets taken by leadership will stem the perennial lean times. Some of the cost cutting measures can introduce some annoying issues.

design engineer

I worked at AMD

Pros

good learning environment in the company

Cons

not good senior management at top

Ups and Downs

Current Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in Boxborough, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in Boxborough, MA

I have been working at AMD full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Some teams have healthy cultures. Some technical work is cutting-edge. It's a friendly atmosphere. AMD is never too formal. Flex time is possible so long as you're delivering stuff. There's often good collaboration across teams / sites / functions. Not much red tape. Work/life balance is fine in my experience, 40 hours will usually do it on most teams.

Not a lot of crazy pie-in-the-sky research projects -- everyone's work is directly related to products. And we do ship a lot of products, they are in people's hands.

Cons

Some teams have unhealthy cultures: some are documentation-free, some are led by bullies. A few entire teams are deadwood. Some very senior bullshitters have built empires for themselves, and you don't want to cross them. Some parts of the company are an old-boy network, and some of the old boys don't hardly deserve their privilege.

Revolving door senior management. Revolving door strategic plans. Annual layoffs and titanic-deck-chair-rearranging exercise. There are big upcoming debt payments, so a major future restructuring seems unavoidable.

There's been brain drain, and less mature people have been promoted to fill the gaps, this has led to coworker quality issues on some teams.

No accountability. Nobody ever gets in trouble for missing deadlines, low quality deliverables. It's good enough right?

AMD can be democratic in the worst way. We can't do something unless everyone agrees, but we have to keep talking about it if anyone wants to do it. So there are a lot of "efforts" where 25 people get called to a weekly meeting to discuss some vague future process improvement which never goes anywhere. To survive, you have to develop a good sense of which efforts are fictitious and ignore them or decline participation.

To the management of the company that acquires us in the future: don't keep AMD intact. Refactor it. Sort the teams into "healthy", "needs more resources", and "needs to go".

Struggling company whose transition plan didn't pan out

Former Employee - IT Service Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - IT Service Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at AMD full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The AMD Way, was a good organizational culture that was developed well, and the transition plan for the product line and delivery all made sense, but it wasn't enough in the competitive market.

Cons

Layoffs were always the first response to revenue decreases, and while there were far too few people to complete projects, more and more were approved and added, which burned out a lot of good people.

I honestly think AMD's best days may well be behind it, and it may be time to merge with a healthy firm, so the IP isn't completely lost.

Cost-cutting has driven away many strong contributors

Current Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in Austin, TX

I have been working at AMD full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

In the early-to-mid 2000s, market conditions enabled the company to retain multiple strong design teams. Innovation was encouraged, for example, by awarding bonuses for patents. The sabbatical program was generous: 8 weeks paid vacation after every 7 years. Work-life balance is good, except for the inevitable need for late night meetings due to design teams spread over multiple time zones.

Cons

Many good employees left after taking their final sabbatical when management ended the program in the early 2010s. Cost-cutting, in the form of regular layoffs, forced many of the best engineers out. Getting communication from design teams halfway across the world became more difficult. The fundamental problem is that the traditional market -- CPU/GPU for desktop and laptop machines -- isn't growing fast enough.

Reinstate the sabbatical to encourage a long-term commitment from employees. Get some design wins in fast-growing markets. If necessary, buy or develop the capability to produce an AMD-branded tablet or smartphone; don't worry about possible cannibalization of the OEM market. It's better to control your own destiny!

Manager

I have been working at AMD

Pros

smart people, location, innovative products, benefits

Cons

constant layoffs, managers don't know how to manage

support

I have been working at AMD

Pros

Respectful, allows for personal development

Cons

Too many management and roadmap changes

Strong people, poor product management, top heavy senior management

I have been working at AMD full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent technical staff who are motivated and largely competent. Some lossage in recent years as AMD has stumbled, but still has some very good folks. Good work culture if you can avoid having to deal with the vicissitudes of senior management.

Cons

Product management and marketing continues to be a weak spot. Similarly, upper management (Senior Director / VPs has been bloated with a lot of churn and not a lot of apparent value). Perhaps recent downsizing and reorgs have improved this.

Get the company profitable. Kill broken projects earlier. Downsize the top-heavy management structure. Keep those good employees you still have.

A once shining light slowly fading due to ineffective leadership and poor decision making.

Current Employee - Business Development in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Business Development in Austin, TX

I have been working at AMD full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent people - Folks at AMD have that underdog, fighter mentality, they are bold, scrappy, and eternally optimistic. As a result people are very collaborative and tend to work very well together to get the job done. A rich IP portfolio across x86, Graphics, and emerging technologies means the company has the tools to be successful.

Cons

Continued annual restructuring and downsizing has left people over worked and underpaid, burnt out. Lack of competitive products and roadmap due to poor decision making is costing the company valuable partnerships and brand equity. Engineering is overworked and stretched to thin on too many projects, only exacerbating the situation.

Be decisive, tactical, and innovative. Since we don't have the deep pockets for R&D or marketing of our chief competitors we need to choose the markets where we can succeed and go after them exclusively. We can no longer afford the "peanut butter spread" to try and be all things to all customers. It only continues to sour relationships when we make commitments we can't meet.