AMD Reviews

Reset
3.1
AMD President & CEO Dr. Lisa Su
Dr. Lisa Su

Pros
  • Good Pay but don't expect work life balance (in 114 reviews)

• Flexible Work Hours, good management (in 62 reviews)

Cons
  • No work-life balance for multiple reasons (in 27 reviews)

• Poor senior management just in it for padding their own pockets while the ship sinks (in 50 reviews)

1,270 Employee Reviews

1. On the fence

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at AMD full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people at AMD are fantastic. Everyone doesn't always get along but in general everyone has the best for the company at heart.

Cons

Uncertainty in the market has caused angst and speculation. People have to soul search to decide if they believe AMD has a future.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the people dimensions as much as the financials. Products first. But people as a close second.

OK to work

Current Employee - Staff IT Architect in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Staff IT Architect in Austin, TX

I have been working at AMD full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Collaboration among the cross-functional teams is great. People treat one another always respectfully. Good work-life balance.

Cons

Company is not managed efficiently. There is problem in executing projects from top to the bottom level. No clear directions on what's next.

Advice to Management

Work efficiently and execute product development according to plan.

3. Excellent Work Culture

Current Employee - Co-Op Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Co-Op Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at AMD (Less than a year)

Pros

Worked in AMD Research in Bellevue Excellent work culture Complete freedom to work on things we like No micromanagement

Cons

Not so competitive salary Instability as a whole for AMD

Great People & Projects - Stability Issues

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at AMD full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Many good things about this company, including: - People - Projects - Competitive Salaries - No micro-management

Cons

There is only one big negative: The company is having financial issues and is doing on-going restructuring and layoffs. Unfortunately, the only way you find out people are gone is when your email to them (and their boss?) goes unanswered.

Advice to Management

Make it easier to find out that people are gone so that you don't impact the ability of the remaining folks to be productive.

6. Great company but not so great future

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at AMD full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people (peers and Directors), great benefits especially health, good cafeteria on site, Starbucks on site, paid vacation (15 days)

Cons

Executives lack strategic outlook, process are not efficient, it takes extraordinary effort to achieve ordinary results, financial future is bleak

Advice to Management

Advice to Executive management: stop reorging the company, instead look at the business decisions you are making and stop doing what you have been doing because clearly it is not working

7. Good place to work at.

Current Employee - Senior ASIC Design Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior ASIC Design Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at AMD full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good learning opportunities and excellent teams.

Cons

Not doing very good right now.

Marketing

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pflugerville, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pflugerville, TX

I worked at AMD (More than a year)

Pros

Staff is dedicated which illustrates a good understanding in recruiting talented individuals. Even when the management team would flounder, the staff would make them look like they were on top of things.

Cons

Simple economics tell you when adjustements are made to rates, it takes around 6 months to see the affect. When AMD changes the guard, the baby is thrown out with the bath water leaving some of the same floundering managers not understanding the value of the return on those that propelled them into management to begin with. When the guard changes and staff is let go, it takes months to see the affect of that downward trending decision. In AMD's case, the trend continued to spiral downward. Yet another changing of the guard because no real traction was made with the last bunch. Any guesses where business will go? Stocks should tell plenty along with internal costs out of control as management continues to not fully understand the value the contribution of previous, current or future staff delivered.

Advice to Management

Recommend a middle management cleans. Check if the good ole' boy network has been traded in for the good ole' girl network. Those organizations are easy to spot. A diverse gender mix is ideal.

Sinking Ship?

Current Employee - Manager in Round Rock, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Round Rock, TX

I have been working at AMD full-time (More than a year)

Pros

AMD has a great culture with a good mix of professionalism and friendliness. My immediate management are helpful when needed, set clear expectations, and do not micromanage.

Cons

Even though the facilities are nice, my desk is a 4x2 table with people on either side of me, right next to me with no partitions of any kind. No privacy whatsoever, so bad that at times I can't even hear the calls that I'm on because of discussions or other calls that are going on nearby. Major Con: the company is doing terrible and I'm not sure how long it will last. If you read about AMD in the news you'll see the same. At the same time, the AMD leadership gave themselves over $12M in bonuses... It's just unbelievable...

Advice to Management

1. Forget about giving yourselves bonuses. The way the company is doing I would have much more respect for someone who took NO SALARY until it turns around. The fact that the top 4 people in the company took these RSUs makes me think that you're getting ready to jump (or sink). 2. Stop cutting R&D. The engineers tell me things like they have to share one tech between them, don't have tools they need, don't have the proper skillsets in "low cost" locations. 3. it's time to put all of our eggs in one basket. We simply can't compete across all markets that we are currently in and the resources that we have. 4. Don't cut marketing!!! I'm not in marketing, but I hear that we don't have people moving product because there aren't enough people!

10. good company to work in

I have been working at AMD full-time

Pros

people are friendly and can learn a lot

Cons

stability is a problem in this market

11. Senior Design Engineer

Current Employee - Senior Design Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Design Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at AMD full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Products cover both CPU and GPU.

Cons

The PC industry is declining

Showing 1,270 of 1,396 reviews