AMD

Updated Jul 30, 2014

3.1 1,107 reviews

AMD President & CEO Rory Read

Rory Read

Pros
  • Very laid back culture across the board and you can have an awesome work-life balance (in 101 reviews)

• Good work/life balance, pretty flexible work hours as long as you deliver on things (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management in marketing is a complete train wreck (in 50 reviews)

• This impacted work/life balance very negatively (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights
1,107 Employee Reviews

Proud to work here

ProsCompetent colleagues, sense of mission, nice cammputs

Consstress of layoffs frequently in the air

satisfied with the work culture

Member of Technical Staff Design Engineer (Former Employee) Austin, TX

Proswork is balanced and encourage innovation

Consnot many cons as such

working from home, flexible hours, good base salary, unclear future

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsThe company lets you work from home most of the time, which is refreshing. Base salary is good, stocks/bonus not so much.

ConsNo proper communication within the company. AMD needs some 'google groups' infrastructure.
    Unstable future. Management doesn't focus on the right projects. Due to working from home, the office can feel empty.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdd a world-wide communication network, not based on email, such as Google groups. Regularly ask for feedback from engineers about their manager.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Co-op engineer Platform emulation team Austin TX

Co-Op Design Engineer (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsIt was an amazing learning experience. My team was supportive and nurturing. I gained a lot of first hand experience in ASIC based emulation. Best team and manager ever

ConsFor an intern no con's. A great first experience in the industry. Work load is a bit rigorous but totally enjoyable.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more college grads

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

huge learning experience

Senior Design Engineer (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

Prosalways interesting projects, great people, comfortable working conditions

Consno problems, everything is thought out here

Advice to Senior Managementmore documentation is needed

Nice place to work and learn

Senior Design Engineer (Current Employee) Austin, TX

Proswork with a lot of talented and smart guys, the peer relationship is very good. Managers are nice. Can touch the cutting edge technologies.

Consa lot of re-org recent couple of years... team is short staffed, and need to work over time. Not every day, but maybe around 5 months out of 1 year.

jt

Analyst (Current Employee) Tacoma, WA

Prosgood company to work for

Conslots of competition in this market so you have to really aggressive !

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't just look at the bottom line and remember who actually do the jobs for you !

Great Engineering

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsGreat engineering team.
    The company is not too large, so there are many opportunities for broadening your horizon.
    Decent work-life balance.

ConsCompensation has not kept up with industry peers. The low stock price makes stock awards look small.
    The company has recovered from the hole it was in two years ago but it still has a long way to go before it is truly financially stable.

Technical position at AMD

Member of Technical Staff Software Development Engineer (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsAMD has lots of freedom on work schedules.

ConsOrganization and product lines are in a little bit of a transition period now/

Advice to Senior ManagementMore direction for current long term employees.

Marketing Disaster

Marketing (Former Employee)

Pros- Nice campus, good location in Austin
    - Nice employees - everyone is working through the same issues/challenges
    - Generally decent working hours - flexibility and good life balance

ConsThe marketing team has been in a steady decline since the new CMO came on board. Lack of leadership, direction or strategy - she is clearly in over her head and the entire function feels it. A lot of hard work from the team to stay relevant in the market -- great teamwork, but many good people have left. Constant financial challenges/layoffs leave everyone on edge.

At one point the company was focused on diversity, but that has gone by the wayside. One female on the board, two on the leadership team and countless female VPs and Directors have been let go, forced out or left. This isn't an industry with high concentration of women, so maybe just more visible when someone leaves, but it is definitely noticeable.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in competent leadership -- this huge void is causing a lot of anxiety and extra work throughout the team. We hear so much about the "AMD Way". It started out great, but no actions to follow the words, which is really disappointing. I was a huge fan when Rory started, but he lost me.

Worked for AMD? Contribute to the Community!