AMD

Updated Jul 23, 2014

3.1 1,098 reviews

AMD President & CEO Rory Read

Rory Read

Pros
  • Very laid back culture across the board and you can have an awesome work-life balance(in 101 reviews)

• Nice campus, flexible work hours, some good people left but maybe not for much longer(in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management in marketing is a complete train wreck(in 50 reviews)

• This impacted work/life balance very negatively(in 20 reviews)

1,098 Employee Reviews

Co-op engineer Platform emulation team Austin TX

Co-Op Design Engineer (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsIt was an amazing learning experience. My team was supportive and nurturing. I gained a lot of first hand experience in ASIC based emulation. Best team and manager ever

ConsFor an intern no con's. A great first experience in the industry. Work load is a bit rigorous but totally enjoyable.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more college grads

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

huge learning experience

Senior Design Engineer (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

Prosalways interesting projects, great people, comfortable working conditions

Consno problems, everything is thought out here

Advice to Senior Managementmore documentation is needed

Best employer

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Hyderābād (India)

ProsExcellent and open culture. Plenty of opportunities with lot of innovation within.

ConsLow pay scales driving people move out of the company

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease pay to match market levels

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

good experience

Test Engineer (Former Employee) Markham, ON (Canada)

Prosgood pay, nice people, good working environment

Consrepetitive testing job, not much new technology

Earn Your Stripe, Join a Company Re-Defining Itself

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI love AMD and I worked in Corporate Marketing.

Yes, AMD's salaries are extremely competitive. Work/life balance is yours to own as long as you deliver. However, the real selling factor is the people: Colette LaForce is easily the most personable CMO I've had the pleasure of working for in my career. She is open to new ideas, critical feedback and in turn her leadership mostly mirrors these traits. The marketing team at AMD across the board is full of great leaders who are passionate and intelligent.

The organization I worked in is full of go getters who work hard but, in my opinion, are ultimately under appreciated because of AMD's historical engineering and sales focus.

ConsAs the company is mid-turn around, there is some natural confusion and oftentimes bureaucracy. This is a symptom of frequent reorgs and historical cultural traditions. This has unfortunately resulted in sub-optimal, siloed processes and an unwillingness to accept change.

Enablement is a real issue at AMD as profitability goals have caused opex pressure, resulting in limited resources.

Advice to Senior ManagementBreak down traditional barriers - open yourself up to risk. Exit old go to market strategies gracefully and truly enable your new strategy and growth businesses. Wrangle quarter end, margin killing, gray market deals to hit numbers and create real value for your products -- they are competitive. Unite the marketing function and give it purpose in the new world outside of communications and events. You need it for channel and you need it for growth in relationship focused business models. Marketing needs to generate leads, sales needs to take them.

Great engineering team. Need better management.

Design Engineer II (Current Employee)

ProsReally talented group of engineers. Can attack any problem head-on and will come up neat solutions.

ConsUnrealistic schedule with not enough background analysis of the requirements/features has led to chaotic project execution and sub-optimal design. This impacted work/life balance very negatively.

great working experience

Internship Student (Former Employee) Markham, ON (Canada)

Prosget in touch with various tools and learned a lot from the work that I have been doing

ConsAs an intern, there is no paid vocations.

Fantastic Company to work and be apart of.

Regional Sales Manager (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsThe campus is large and great scenery. Just a wonderful environment.

ConsOnly Re-locating was not efficient for me.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone at this time.

Excellent!!

Technical Writer (Current Employee) Bangalore (India)

Pros1. Good Manager (If you are lucky)
    2. Flexible time
    3. Cab Facility
    4. Loads to learn
    5. Good Salary, even if you are on contract.

Cons1. Bad food
    2. Under resourced
    3. Slow management
    4. Poor marketing

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease market AMD products well, Indian consumers are obsessed with Intel, even though AMD is better in a good number of products.

Excellent company to work for

Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsFriendly environment, good for personal growth, good comp and salary. You will be working in with some smart people. You will also work with the latest cutting edge techonologies

ConsAs is the case with any hardware company, time to market is the most important thing so to balance work and life is a challenge for anyone and sometimes late hours may be required to achieve targets

Worked for AMD? Contribute to the Community!