AMD Reviews

1271 reviews filtered by

Ups and Downs

Current Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in Boxborough, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in Boxborough, MA

I have been working at AMD full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Some teams have healthy cultures. Some technical work is cutting-edge. It's a friendly atmosphere. AMD is never too formal. Flex time is possible so long as you're delivering stuff. There's often good collaboration across teams / sites / functions. Not much red tape. Work/life balance is fine in my experience, 40 hours will usually do it on most teams.

Not a lot of crazy pie-in-the-sky research projects -- everyone's work is directly related to products. And we do ship a lot of products, they are in people's hands.

Cons

Some teams have unhealthy cultures: some are documentation-free, some are led by bullies. A few entire teams are deadwood. Some very senior bullshitters have built empires for themselves, and you don't want to cross them. Some parts of the company are an old-boy network, and some of the old boys don't hardly deserve their privilege.

Revolving door senior management. Revolving door strategic plans. Annual layoffs and titanic-deck-chair-rearranging exercise. There are big upcoming debt payments, so a major future restructuring seems unavoidable.

There's been brain drain, and less mature people have been promoted to fill the gaps, this has led to coworker quality issues on some teams.

No accountability. Nobody ever gets in trouble for missing deadlines, low quality deliverables. It's good enough right?

AMD can be democratic in the worst way. We can't do something unless everyone agrees, but we have to keep talking about it if anyone wants to do it. So there are a lot of "efforts" where 25 people get called to a weekly meeting to discuss some vague future process improvement which never goes anywhere. To survive, you have to develop a good sense of which efforts are fictitious and ignore them or decline participation.

To the management of the company that acquires us in the future: don't keep AMD intact. Refactor it. Sort the teams into "healthy", "needs more resources", and "needs to go".

2. design engineer

I worked at AMD

Pros

good learning environment in the company

Cons

not good senior management at top

Struggling company whose transition plan didn't pan out

Former Employee - IT Service Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - IT Service Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at AMD full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The AMD Way, was a good organizational culture that was developed well, and the transition plan for the product line and delivery all made sense, but it wasn't enough in the competitive market.

Cons

Layoffs were always the first response to revenue decreases, and while there were far too few people to complete projects, more and more were approved and added, which burned out a lot of good people.

I honestly think AMD's best days may well be behind it, and it may be time to merge with a healthy firm, so the IP isn't completely lost.

5. Manager

I have been working at AMD

Pros

smart people, location, innovative products, benefits

Cons

constant layoffs, managers don't know how to manage

6. support

I have been working at AMD

Pros

Respectful, allows for personal development

Cons

Too many management and roadmap changes

A once shining light slowly fading due to ineffective leadership and poor decision making.

Current Employee - Business Development in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Business Development in Austin, TX

I have been working at AMD full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent people - Folks at AMD have that underdog, fighter mentality, they are bold, scrappy, and eternally optimistic. As a result people are very collaborative and tend to work very well together to get the job done. A rich IP portfolio across x86, Graphics, and emerging technologies means the company has the tools to be successful.

Cons

Continued annual restructuring and downsizing has left people over worked and underpaid, burnt out. Lack of competitive products and roadmap due to poor decision making is costing the company valuable partnerships and brand equity. Engineering is overworked and stretched to thin on too many projects, only exacerbating the situation.

Be decisive, tactical, and innovative. Since we don't have the deep pockets for R&D or marketing of our chief competitors we need to choose the markets where we can succeed and go after them exclusively. We can no longer afford the "peanut butter spread" to try and be all things to all customers. It only continues to sour relationships when we make commitments we can't meet.

Strong people, poor product management, top heavy senior management

I have been working at AMD full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent technical staff who are motivated and largely competent. Some lossage in recent years as AMD has stumbled, but still has some very good folks. Good work culture if you can avoid having to deal with the vicissitudes of senior management.

Cons

Product management and marketing continues to be a weak spot. Similarly, upper management (Senior Director / VPs has been bloated with a lot of churn and not a lot of apparent value). Perhaps recent downsizing and reorgs have improved this.

Get the company profitable. Kill broken projects earlier. Downsize the top-heavy management structure. Keep those good employees you still have.

9. Ever increasing work, Not enough compensation

I worked at AMD

Pros

No lack of interesting work, friendly co-workers, beautiful campus with onsite Gym

Cons

Ever increasing work due to voluntary or involuntary workforce reduction. Not enough compensation or recognition of hard work. You have to be really good in PR to get ahead. Very risky future, at least for 2015.

Recognize the talent in your workforce before they completely give up on their future. Measure the worth in what they produce and not how loud they speak.

10. Good place to work for a few years

I have been working at AMD

Pros

Very interesting job. Great projects to work on.
    Very knowledgeable, detailed, friendly engineers.
    Relaxed environment.
    Flexible working schedules.
    Good work-life balance.

Cons

Company is in perpetual crisis. Morale is frequently low.
    Personal growth is slow, sometimes very slow.
    Salary is below average.

Make up your minds on what is wrong with AMD and fix it.

11. GOOD CULTURE

I worked at AMD

Pros

Management appreciate and recognize hard work

Cons

unstable industry, management strategy does not have long term goal