AMD

AMD Reviews in San Jose, CA

Updated Jul 25, 2014

AMD President & CEO Rory Read

Rory Read

Pros
  • Very laid back culture across the board and you can have an awesome work-life balance (in 101 reviews)

• Good work/life balance, pretty flexible work hours as long as you deliver on things (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management in marketing is a complete train wreck (in 50 reviews)

• This impacted work/life balance very negatively (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights
142 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Hectic Place to work at

Senior Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsLots of very smart people, can have interesting products depending on which sub division you are in

ConsChaotic, highly political, despite a reasonably flat organization very title driven, if you are not part of one of the fiefdoms you are not valuable

Advice to Senior Managementstop thinking that Austin is the center of the universe and think about long term strategy not next quarter

waiting for the transform

Advice to Senior Management1. make the work place more enjoyable
    2. no more layoffs

Good employees, bad management

Senior Design Engineer (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsIntelligent, hardworking employees. Work-life balance. You'll get to meet great people who want to do their jobs well, and you may even learn a lot from them.

ConsBenefits and perks are minimal. Leadership is void at best. Too many fiefdoms, management don't listen to employees. Career growth is very limited at best, and you constantly have this nagging feeling that you'll get laid off at any time.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot sure if management is doing what's best for themselves or for the company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

great technology but going downside

Smts (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsCPU and GFX are good design topic which requires lots of skill and talent people to work on and can learn lots of new skills

Consmost of fellow and CTO are useless and don't bring any innovation and guideline for the company

Advice to Senior Managementlay off most of CTO and fellows

Sr. Design Engineer

Senior Design Engineer (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsThe best thing was a nice work like balance and also nice people to with. Another good reason was that it does a lot of things, so you can potentially work on some things that you like.

ConsThe biggest con for me, was that salary was not at the market level and with minimal bonus etc, you pretty much grow very slowly financially.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensate people in sync with the market

Very good company to work for or with.

Senior Mask Designer (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsThey use the latest in technology tools and processes. They have very experienced engineers which allows you to get your work done in a timely manner

ConsThey are a big company and it sometimes takes longer for paperwork to get processed or issues to get addressed.

good engineers, weak executives, bad managers, highly dysfunctional

Senior Member of Technical Staff (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

Prosgreat graphics technology, good work-life balance most of the time, some good research opportunities, relaxed work ethic, nice coworkers, not too much local politics

Consthis company is a chronic underachiever and so cannot attract talented executives (who are compensated in relation to the company profits). managers range from incompetent to lackluster. An engineering career will go nowhere here but you may gain valuable experience.

Advice to Senior Managementresign and break up the company

AMD CPU engineering

Member of Technical Staff (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsGreat people, very open culture of contribution

ConsOverall company picture not very solid

Advice to Senior ManagementMore merit based promotions

Sr.Ic mask layout design

Senior IC Masklyout Design (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsAMD is the best place to work

ConsAMD is no down side

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Best

Cutting edge technology at work,

Senior Software Development Engineer (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

Pros- Good work/life balance, pretty flexible work hours as long as you deliver on things
    - Good talent, and great learning experience, some awesome folks to work with
    - Pretty casual environment

ConsNothing really, if you can do a bit of self management work is good. One can always keep complaining about money, but thats not what I particularly target.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease sort out things especially with Global Foundry .

Worked for AMD? Contribute to the Community!