AMD

AMD Reviews in Texas

Updated Jul 13, 2014

AMD President & CEO Rory Read

Rory Read

Pros
  • Very laid back culture across the board and you can have an awesome work-life balance(in 101 reviews)

• Nice campus, flexible work hours, some good people left but maybe not for much longer(in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management in marketing is a complete train wreck(in 50 reviews)

• This impacted work/life balance very negatively(in 20 reviews)

316 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Going through change.

Product Development Engineering Manager (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsGreat Campus. Some great people.

ConsQuestionable leadership. May be loosing focus on the employees as the company changes.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the right decision, not the one that makes you look good.

Product Engineer

Product Engineer (Current Employee) Austin, TX

Prosgood colleague, good chance to be promoted

Consmarket is not that good for the products, a lot of pressures on smart people left company

Advice to Senior Managementmore clear vision

Great Company and Philosophy

Human Resources Analyst (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsEasy to talk to Upper Management, Benefits, Culture, Work/Life Balance

ConsSalary offered could be better

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Valuable experience, but no career growth

Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsVery bright, assertive, talented people. Big budgets, opportunities to work on large projects in a variety of formats. Pays fairly well, but make sure to come in as high as possible because promotions and raises are only for the loudest noisemakers and people who show steady results and growth over time are ignored. Flexible schedules.

ConsWithout a disciplined structure all those talented, assertive people walk all over each other and spend more time fighting amongst themselves than against the competition. Huge wastes of time, energy, enthusiasm, and ultimately, money. No continuity in planning over time - the latest, coolest, most exciting thing gets the attention whenever new leadership comes in. Existing projects, priorities and people are scrapped. Expect nothing to last more than 6 months.

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamline, streamline, streamline. Gut the VP, Director and Sr. Mgr ranks. Install some sense of process or order. Stop hiring big talkers who sound good but can't do anything. (*cough* Colette LaForce). Make sure salaries for similar roles align.

It is a Job.

Senior Product Engineer (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsWhen the times are good and you are in the right place, it is a great place. You can learn a lot and it can be a fun place to spend time

ConsIf you are not in the right place you are going to be let go or hanging.

Advice to Senior ManagementDefine Career paths more clearly.

Some hope but difficult times

Marketing Team (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsCompany with some tremendous talent, but many have become disengaged or have left for other opportunities.
    The turnaround strategy seems sound, but may be to0 far behind to catch up.
    Fairly flexible schedule overall so there can be a balance.

ConsAgree with some of the other marketing posts that bringing in someone who talks a good game with little true experience or leadership has hurt the marketing team significantly. Many from the team have left due to poor treatment and lack of leadership. As the team shrinks many positions are not being refilled so that does put a fair amount of stress on the people that remain.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a few minutes to talk to the employees who are a few layers down from the top. They have may good perspectives that likely aren't heard because are too concerned for their jobs to elevate issues. Ensure your leadership is living the 'AMD Way'.

its a job that works for me

PMTS (Current Employee) Austin, TX

Proshi quality work
    short commute
    good boss
    decent pay

Consits a unintended "not for profit"

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up with industry salaries

A great place to grow as a marketer

Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Austin, TX

Pros- Working with amazingly smart people
    - Great products and partners to work with
    - Amazing work/life balance

Cons- Alignment issues and unclear roles and responsibilities caused confusion and duplication of efforts
    - Morale issues due to annual layoffs and budget cuts
    - Lack of direction and follow through

Advice to Senior ManagementSet a clear path, execute, and underpromise/overdeliver

MTS Product Development Engineer

Member of Technical Staff Product Engineer (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsRelatively strong engineering team and good culture. Good place for fresh graduates to learn and pick up the skills.

ConsManagement needs to be improved. Product Road map should be well set up and executed. There were too many projects cancelled and that's a big waste.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the responsibility of leading the organization and the products development.

Co-op engineer

Co-Op (Former Employee) Austin, TX

Prosgood technical exposure and teams are very experienced

Consdid not get full time offer

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Worked for AMD? Contribute to the Community!