AMD

3.1
1,208 Reviews

AMD President & CEO Dr. Lisa Su
Dr. Lisa Su

Pros
  • Potentially good work/life balance if you don't have too many conference calls in off hours (in 114 reviews)

• Good work/life balance, pretty flexible work hours as long as you deliver on things (in 62 reviews)

Cons
  • short staffed in terms of resources and can impact your work life balance (in 27 reviews)

• Senior management in marketing is a complete train wreck (in 50 reviews)

More Highlights

343 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Only for Engineering and Technology

Current Employee - Marketing in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing in Austin, TX

I have been working at AMD full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good salary and benefits, but right now the focus is on Engineering and key Technologies and any support functions are being minimized.

Cons

Yearly (or bi-yearly) reductions in force; only the focus areas will be supported over the near term; morale in many groups is very low

Good people but no discipline as a company and ineffective upper management.

Current Employee - Manager, Marketing in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Manager, Marketing in Austin, TX

I have been working at AMD full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Smart people. Flexible hours and ability to work remotely.

Cons

Constant stress of layoffs. Capricious decision making by executives. Still runs like a fly by the seat of your pants start up even though it's 45 years old.

Time to instill more discipline in your decision making. Establish strong strategic approaches, map solutions to that strategy and allow them to see the course. Short attention span style decision making is killing any chance for success.

It's Challenging but in a Good Way

I have been working at AMD full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I'm very happy working at AMD, yes it has had some ups and downs but that is everywhere and at AMD always provides opportunities to learn and grow to meet the challenges. My management team is smart, decisive and empowers me to do great work. We have awesome health care benefits and on par with everyone else on holidays, vacation, 401K, bonuses, etc. After 5 years I am still happy and not looking for another job

Cons

Wish we were downtown on the main transit lines, my commute to Southwest Parkway is rough,

Typical large tech company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at AMD full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you have a love for technology and the opportunity to change the computing industry this is a great company to work for. AMD is currently working on a lot of exciting new products, there are plenty of great projects to work on if you know what you’re looking for.

Cons

AMD is understaffed in certain areas and that makes it hard to have a good work life balance if you work in one of those areas. It can also be hard to find the resources needed to complete your job. Like most big tech companies it also feels like you are just a number to upper management.

Please put a big emphasis on improving the company culture and communication between business units and teams—the different business units/teams tend to keep separate which can make broad planning hard. Also keep pushing for cutting edge design wins, when we have great technology coming it’s easier for us to do our jobs and be inspired by them.

As a contract employee the pay is above average but the short contract with little notice it was ending was shocking.

Former Employee - Engineering Technician in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Engineering Technician in Austin, TX

I worked at AMD as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Above average pay. Flexible hours. Onsite cafeteria. One on one reviews with management every other week are great to stay on track of my goals and what is expected of me.

Cons

Short term contract. I was told I would be there a year but contract was cancelled after 6 months due to budget cuts. I was there once before and it lasted 18 months which was great so I expected to be there at least a year but they pulled the plug early which caught me by surprise.

Don't hire too many contractors just to let them go after a few months. Utilize their unique skills and let them wear several hats and keep them around for a while. I have and always will be a loyal employee even as a contractor. I understand business is just business and contractors cost money so when the contract ends, it's not because I did something wrong. However, it would be nice to have the contact last at least as long as we are told it will.

Poorly managed

Former Employee - Test Technician in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Test Technician in Austin, TX

I worked at AMD full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good co-workers, laid-back environment, work-life balance. Lenient on time off, if needed, on short notice e.g. having to pick up kids from school.

Cons

Poor management, empty promises, subpar compensation, hurry up and wait mentality, benefits slowly cut. When the going is good it's GOOD, but when it's bad it's UGLY.

Create value in your employees by cross-training, continuing education and inspiring. Don't make hiring decisions based on who has been your friend the longest.

AMD Experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at AMD full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good work life balance with time off as needed.

Cons

PC market on the decline. Difficult career advancement.

Security

Former Employee - Security in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Security in Austin, TX

I worked at AMD full-time (more than an year)

Pros

One of the best command centers in the industry.

Cons

Too many chiefs, poor hiring of qualified personnel who are able to do the job, way too much unnecessary paperwork.

Good place to work when business is good

Current Employee - Senior Product Development Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Product Development Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at AMD full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work is challenging and interesting when times are good and it really can feel like you are making a difference

Cons

Business can be hit or miss and this can provide many stressing points - work load, job security, outsourcing, technical focus, etc

Had some great products, but overall an average company

Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at AMD full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Typical mid-sized high-tech company; flexible working hours (depending on your team/group/boss); most employees are nice and helpful; senior management confident turning around (they always do, don't they).

Cons

Surviving in a very competitive industry which is declining / not-growing, and whose market could shift quickly; hard workers work really hard, but easy worker work easy; average compensation; smaller cubical sizes; regular/annual restructuring and/or layoff; not enough investments and resources in many areas.

Go private and restructure.