AMEC Paragon

AMEC Paragon Chief Executive Samir Brikho
Samir Brikho

Fair Place to work

Current Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at AMEC Paragon full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very good people.
    Decent systems and well experienced staff

Cons

Not getting big projects aggressively

Corporate plays politics with projects. It is project that brings in the revenue but most Corporate manager treat projects as a step child, dont care and dont understand the needs of the project. Some of the Coporate managers have maybe one or two project execution experience but advice projects on how to do a better job.

Concentrate on what really makes the organization efficient
    People are the biggest strength of company especially people with experience. Just having good procedures will not make the Company to grow. There are some good people with Company who have over 20 years of experience working in industry. These folks have come in past two to four years they will not last long if they are not treated properly.

Frustrating company - could do well but UK overhead burden is pricing it out of the market.

Former Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at AMEC Paragon full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good people at project level, good benefits. Most department managers care about their people and have made good hiring choices at the technical level.

Cons

Local upper management is British and spends a lot of time pleasing the owners in UK. To keep their jobs they have to choose their bosses over their employees. Overhead payments to the mother company makes their rates non-competitive in the Houston market so the chances of new projects are slim. Document Control is forced to use redundant poorly thought out processes and software. They dismantled Ken Arnold's Facility Engineer model, the original Paragon model, and replaced it with a narrowly focused and silo'ed discipline engineer model. Project Managers and Project Engineer's are excluded from major facility decisions, Engineering Managers focus on cost, deliverables, client management and schedule, none of the engineering departments want ownership of the physical design outside narrowly defined scope, so the pipers run the physical aspects of the job. Went from over 600 to about 200 people in less than a year.

Why bother, they are the smartest guys in the room anyway, just ask them.

I worked at AMEC Paragon for over three years

I worked at AMEC Paragon full-time

Pros

AMEC employees can be encouraging and helpful. Their 401K is pretty good.

Cons

Like a lot of other EPC companies, AMEC believes in hiring for big projects and laying people off as soon as the projects are over. This work culture is suitable for a lot of people but not for me. I believe that AMEC management does a poor job of trying to retain their employees and seem disinterested in their progress or their career path. I felt demotivated and felt that my manager didn't really care if I was happy there as long as I kept my head down and kept doing what I had been assigned.

This attitude can of course be different between managers and I did have good managers while I was there but the majority of the people there (except for the lifers) just seemed to be passing time till something better came along.

Except for their 401K, other benefits like vacation are pretty bare bones especially for people with only a few years of experience.

During most of my time at AMEC I felt that my manager didn't care about my career path. My performance evaluation felt like a formality and I felt that I will never be appreciated there. My other manager was more encouraging about my performance and I appreciate things changing but by then it was too late. While I was there I saw so many good employees leave the company while management seemed not to care.

Engineering/Project Engineer talent is spread too thin.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at AMEC Paragon full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is Reasonable. Projects are good.

Cons

Discipline department managers out of touch to needs of projects.

You need to figure out why you are not attracting new discipline lead engineers to work on projects

Neutral

I have been working at AMEC Paragon

Pros

Good place to work as a fresher. Amazing starting salary for a new joiner.

Cons

Overtime pay is not given completely. It is half the number of hours you work. This is really bad. Annual raise is very less. It is hardly 2000$ that is nothing.

Please increase the annual raise and introduce policies to retain youngsters. Stocks is one good option.

Great place to work

I have been working at AMEC Paragon

Pros

Freedom, Open to ideas and outside the box thinking, great co-workers

Cons

has not gotten many mega projects lately, still in transition form Paragon to Amec