AMEC

www.amec.com

AMEC Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014
AMEC – London – “HQ office”

AMEC CEO Samir Brikho

Samir Brikho

Pros
  • Good benefits, fair pay, good chance for junior engineers to gain experience(in 11 reviews)

• Work life balance with flexi time and additional holiday was incredible(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of communication between departments within organization(in 4 reviews)

• It can be very hard to move up in the company(in 3 reviews)

Good place to work with good opportunities

Operations Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThere is plenty of opportunity to grow technically and with your career. Fair compensation in terms of performace. The is good leadership at the local/regional level. There is a string and positive culture

ConsThe bonus structure is very lacking - there is none at middle management and below. Sometimes the business is too numbers driven and there needs to be more co us on people. Benefits seem to be reducing.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople are your only assett, so there needs to be a stronger focus on benefit and tranparency in compensation, especially bonuses. There needs to be more engagement by senior regional management on vision and goals. The cascading of new policies and proceedhres leaves a lot to be desired - sending emails isn't enough.

A roller coaster of drama, backstabbing and finger pointing

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) Trenton, NJ

ProsSome of the staff are very cool, others not much. 401K plan is awesome.

ConsNo recognition for completed work, overworked, pay raises stink if you're not upper management. Zero accountability on the end of some upper management. Below average and way below average salaries. Too many chiefs, not enough indians.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople are your greatest asset, treat them as such. A well paid employee is a happy employee. You can't get blood from a stone, so try not to harden your workers. Good or bad you will see the results of such actions. Pay people their worth, not what you think you can get away with.

A suffering firm

SCM (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGreat benefits an salaries. Flexible work hours. Internal / external Training. Big company with internal transfers locally and globally. Great location.

ConsLeadership is poor. Lack of communication. Very clickish with advancement and currently has no projects to speak of. A lot of uncertainty for its future.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a different approach to clients.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nice people, poor managerial decision making

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPeople were generally nice and there was flexibility to work at home.

ConsThe company is a conglomeration of acquired companies and you never quite feel like there's a sense of unity. Seems to be more of a focus on acquisitions for the sake of growth and no attention to ensuring their existing employee population is happy and taken care of.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't lose focus of the employees you currently have.

Great place to work for, extremely hard to move up in the company.

Project Geoscientist (Current Employee)

ProsA good company to work for. The benefits are very good and their vacation incentives are really good. AMEC is a diverse company with many roles and positions. Within the environmental sector, there are a huge amount of diverse projects and over the last years, I have expanded my resume with many many roles....it has made me well rounded. My office gives me a lot of flexibility, I make my own hours and as long as I get my work done, which I do, my supervisor is satisfied. My personal supervisor is great as well but the office politics changes office to office.

ConsIt can be very hard to move up in the company. I was promoted a few years into my career and when it happened, I had coworkers very upset with me for taking it as they all said, "AMEC never wants to promote". There are some leaders in the company who foster growth and learning but office managers on the local level have limited budgets as corporate is always crunching down on them, and they rarely support training even though corporate preaches it. Lastly, the higher up people can be jerks. The Area lead came to our office and never went around to say hello to anyone and introduce themself, after they left, others in the office thought it was rude. They preach that it is one big happy team but the truth is that even though we do work together, there is a sense that everyone is out for themselves. Health and Safety can be lip service as well, I have personally seen project continue even after a technician level person has called the PM with concerns and the PM responds that we have to continue working as we have to finish by Friday.

Worked out of the Greenville, SC, Electrical Power Dept. and it was the best job experience I have ever had.

Electrical Designer/Draftsman (Former Employee) Greenville, SC

ProsThe people that I worked with.

ConsI really don't have any.

Decent starting company

Technical Professional III (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsManagement easy to talk to. Promotions are few and far in between, Welcoming culture, celibate diversity.

ConsForced to perform functions that meet the companies needs with little or no focus on training and employee development. Compensation could be better,

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove on training and development, competitive compensation.

Good Place to work

Project Controller (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsGood place to work. The wages are competitive.

ConsNot a lot of personality in the work force.

Excellent Company

Construction Management (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsThis company has excellent benefits with fair compensation

ConsNone that I have found thus far

Great company to work for!

Concrete Technician (Current Employee) Addison, TX

ProsPlenty of work in a sometimes seasonal industry

ConsWork is 24/7 Nights Weekends, Early, Late, Very little advance notice of schedule

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the work coming Be aware of employee needs

Worked for AMEC? Contribute to the Community!