AMEC

Updated August 15, 2014

3.3

AMEC CEO Samir Brikho
Samir Brikho

Pros
  • Good benefits, fair pay, good chance for junior engineers to gain experience (in 11 reviews)

• Work life balance with flexi time and additional holiday was incredible (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of communication between departments within organization (in 4 reviews)

• It can be very hard to move up in the company (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work, depending on the office.

Current Employee - Engineer  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Diego, CA

Pros

San Diego office has a great working environment with a lot of flexibility and opportunities. Depending on the department there is a wide range of work and staff generally care about each other and the product they are producing.

Cons

The company has not formal structure to reward employees. There are bonuses but only if the company exceeds some unknown target. Would be great to have just a simple "you did a great job" award to motivate staff. Also, the office space is old and could be updated.

Provide more opportunities to highlight employees contributions to the company's and office's success.

A roller coaster of drama, backstabbing and finger pointing

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Trenton, NJ
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Trenton, NJ

Pros

Some of the staff are very cool, others not much. 401K plan is awesome.

Cons

No recognition for completed work, overworked, pay raises stink if you're not upper management. Zero accountability on the end of some upper management. Below average and way below average salaries. Too many chiefs, not enough indians.

People are your greatest asset, treat them as such. A well paid employee is a happy employee. You can't get blood from a stone, so try not to harden your workers. Good or bad you will see the results of such actions. Pay people their worth, not what you think you can get away with.

A suffering firm

Current Employee - SCM  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - SCM in Houston, TX

Pros

Great benefits an salaries. Flexible work hours. Internal / external Training. Big company with internal transfers locally and globally. Great location.

Cons

Leadership is poor. Lack of communication. Very clickish with advancement and currently has no projects to speak of. A lot of uncertainty for its future.

Take a different approach to clients.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nice people, poor managerial decision making

Pros

People were generally nice and there was flexibility to work at home.

Cons

The company is a conglomeration of acquired companies and you never quite feel like there's a sense of unity. Seems to be more of a focus on acquisitions for the sake of growth and no attention to ensuring their existing employee population is happy and taken care of.

Don't lose focus of the employees you currently have.

Good place to work with good opportunities

Current Employee - Operations Manager
    Current Employee - Operations Manager

Pros

There is plenty of opportunity to grow technically and with your career. Fair compensation in terms of performace. The is good leadership at the local/regional level. There is a string and positive culture

Cons

The bonus structure is very lacking - there is none at middle management and below. Sometimes the business is too numbers driven and there needs to be more co us on people. Benefits seem to be reducing.

People are your only assett, so there needs to be a stronger focus on benefit and tranparency in compensation, especially bonuses. There needs to be more engagement by senior regional management on vision and goals. The cascading of new policies and proceedhres leaves a lot to be desired - sending emails isn't enough.

Great place to work for, extremely hard to move up in the company.

Current Employee - Project Geoscientist
    Current Employee - Project Geoscientist

Pros

A good company to work for. The benefits are very good and their vacation incentives are really good. AMEC is a diverse company with many roles and positions. Within the environmental sector, there are a huge amount of diverse projects and over the last years, I have expanded my resume with many many roles....it has made me well rounded. My office gives me a lot of flexibility, I make my own hours and as long as I get my work done, which I do, my supervisor is satisfied. My personal supervisor is great as well but the office politics changes office to office.

Cons

It can be very hard to move up in the company. I was promoted a few years into my career and when it happened, I had coworkers very upset with me for taking it as they all said, "AMEC never wants to promote". There are some leaders in the company who foster growth and learning but office managers on the local level have limited budgets as corporate is always crunching down on them, and they rarely support training even though corporate preaches it. Lastly, the higher up people can be jerks. The Area lead came to our office and never went around to say hello to anyone and introduce themself, after they left, others in the office thought it was rude. They preach that it is one big happy team but the truth is that even though we do work together, there is a sense that everyone is out for themselves. Health and Safety can be lip service as well, I have personally seen project continue even after a technician level person has called the PM with concerns and the PM responds that we have to continue working as we have to finish by Friday.

Worked out of the Greenville, SC, Electrical Power Dept. and it was the best job experience I have ever had.

Former Employee - Electrical Designer/Draftsman  in  Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Electrical Designer/Draftsman in Greenville, SC

Pros

The people that I worked with.

Cons

I really don't have any.

Decent starting company

Current Employee - Technical Professional III  in  Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Technical Professional III in Raleigh, NC

Pros

Management easy to talk to. Promotions are few and far in between, Welcoming culture, celibate diversity.

Cons

Forced to perform functions that meet the companies needs with little or no focus on training and employee development. Compensation could be better,

Improve on training and development, competitive compensation.

Good Place to work

Current Employee - Project Controller  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Project Controller in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Good place to work. The wages are competitive.

Cons

Not a lot of personality in the work force.

Excellent Company

Current Employee - Construction Management  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Construction Management in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

This company has excellent benefits with fair compensation

Cons

None that I have found thus far

Worked for AMEC? Contribute to the Community!