AMETEK

Frank S. Hermance

Very relaxed-paced

Current Employee - Test Technician in Wayne, NJ
    Current Employee - Test Technician in Wayne, NJ

I have been working at AMETEK

Pros

Good people, knowledgeable and friendly, good pay. Won't hesitate to let you off early if weather is bad or before a holiday, with pay.

Cons

Supervisor is a jerk most of the time. Micromanages and butts into everyone else's conversation. Never listens to anything anyone else has to say. Needs a class in management.

Please get the supervisor of the test department some management classes. He needs to learn how to train and lead without overstepping his boundaries.

Environment

I worked at AMETEK

Pros

Great people and longevity of employment is high. The people seem to work well together; although, there is a lot of fluctuation in direction.

Cons

There is a lack of respect from some management that creates resentment. Colleagues are not motivated to do their best since, at times, it goes unrecognized or management takes the credit for their subordinates' efforts.

Give credit where credit is due and this will increase respect from your team and colleagues.

It was okay

Former Employee - Design Engineer in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Design Engineer in Waltham, MA

I worked at AMETEK

Pros

I had a good experience here. I was a design engineer and they gave me some work to do most of the time, but some of the time i found my days dragging along. Great people to work with, all very funny and accommodating.

Cons

It dragged along most of the time, finding no work to be done. I think they didn't trust me with design, they told me I looked pissed off all the time so they didn't give me work.

Don't put some kid two years older than me in charge of me. He was a bad teacher

Good Company to work for

Former Employee - Commercial Operations Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Commercial Operations Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at AMETEK

Pros

Structured company that will grow you as an employee and/or manager. Good pay and benefits. Lot's of opportunity as they are always growing.

Cons

At times company can overlook employee value with eyes only on profit margins.

Drill down and push to find and keep high potential employees.

Overworked and Underpaid

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berwyn, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berwyn, PA

I worked at AMETEK full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Apart from having nice coworkers to work with there are no other pros

Cons

Underpaid than the market, Unfriendly management that is unacceptable of change, too much office politics. Management doesn't care for what u did in the past, only focused on what u do today

Management needs to recognize their employees and rewars their efforts.

Great company. Great people. High turnover in certain key roles.

I have been working at AMETEK full-time

Pros

Top tier products and quality

Cons

Some business units are not on stable footing.

Switch the focus from margin to market share.

My time at Ametek in NJ

Former Employee - Director of Procurement in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Director of Procurement in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at AMETEK full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ametek is a high tech company with a strong Acquisition growth model. They specialize in taking smaller high tech firms and turning them into cash cows with high powered channels to market. They keep the branding of the acquisitions typically. The company itself has a very high performance CAGR to reach with high expectations of all managers and engineers. While this is not a "cutting edge" technology firm it is focused on marketability of new tech to the business and academic sectors.

Cons

A lack of decentralized organic growth. With most of the focus on meeting acquisition synergy metrics organic growth can eventually fall by the wayside. This creates a feeling for the smaller newly acquired companies of being "gutted" over a few years/decade after the full synergies have been met and it is time for new investment into the business. This focus stifles these companies prematurely and can drive talent out of the organization.

Managers struggle with short term financial objectives driven from the senior management. There is not a huge focus on marketing and sector growth as much as there is interest in new acquisition potential to bolt on to existing businesses. While this model can be advantageous it has its negative impacts as well. I would recommend more consideration of organic growth in some specific instances to sustain talent as well and grow the individual BU's when possible. I will say that Managers are usually highly competent and technical and are strong leaders in this organization. There are a lot of hard working engineers and the work life balance is certainly slanted toward work. There is some good travel and global exposure in this company and it is a great place to grow an see true executive leadership at work.

Meh

I worked at AMETEK (more than 3 years)

Pros

There is a decent work-life balance. Benefits are average as far as insurance and 401k contributions. A good company to learn your field of specialty.

Cons

Manufacturing environments can be very demanding with reactive instead of proactive approaches. Limited top down communication.

None

Customer Service Coordinator

I worked at AMETEK full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The company offered an exciting learning experience that was fast paced. The pay and benefits package was satisfactory.

Cons

After the initial excitement, there was little training of product line to build confidence. With that it became difficult to get answers from certain outlets.

Simply define goals & roles. Incorporate a robust training method. Acknowledge good work & effort.

A company which offers no professional growth

Current Employee - Tech Lead in Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Tech Lead in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at AMETEK full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good life
    Good work life balance
    Friendly environment
    Flexible timings

Cons

No professional growth
    You need to search for good work
    No proper support functions

Just hiring high quality people is not enough. You need to give the challenging work environment to use their skills.