AMIDEAST Reviews in Washington, DC

Updated July 29, 2014
3.3

The Honorable Theodore H. Kattouf

6 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Interesting organization but absolutely no room for upward mobility

Former Employee - Fulbright Foreign Student Program in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Fulbright Foreign Student Program in Washington, DC

I worked at AMIDEAST full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is exciting working for an organization doing such great work in the Middle East, especially if that is your area of interest. Having worked there has opened doors to other jobs in international education since it is a rather well-known org. Certain departments are more social than others, but the other young people in the office are really fantastic and make a real effort to get to know one another. There is no shortage of work happy hours. I made close lifelong friends at this job and really loved coming to work largely for that reason. AMIDEAST will pay for classes if you are proactive about getting the paperwork done, and the benefits were decent. This was only my second job out of college so I don't know what's normal as far as company events or parties, but I did enjoy the company picnic, coffee hours, holiday parties, and other parties thrown within my department. While I have some gripes, AMIDEAST did benefit me in the long run and overall working there was very positive for me due to the quality of experience and my coworkers.

Cons

The starting pay for a program assistant is very low, which wouldn't be an issue if they ever gave raises or promotions. But they don't. Unfortunately since the organization is pretty well-known they don't have to provide competitive salaries to recruit smart and eager recent graduates, and they don't especially need lower-level people to stick around for more than a year or so. I think this is the way many non-profits in DC operate. I felt very replaceable there since it is nearly impossible to move beyond the Program Assistant level without a masters degree. It doesn't take long to plateau in the content of your work; after a certain point there is simply nothing left to learn (and for me that point arrived after about a year). The older people who have worked there for a long time definitely seem jaded and complacent about their jobs. Excellence was often not a priority. I would never make a career at this organization.

Try harder to create a culture of treating fellow employees as customers. Dealing with the finance department was always a terrible experience. In the beginning I was downright afraid of those people because they were unclear about what they wanted and were angry and rude if you messed up. I think management should take a look at the high turnover rates as well and think about how to create an environment that people will stay for. Affirm people when they do well, even small merit-based raises every once in awhile would go a really long way for morale.

Limited opportunities for professional growth

Former Employee - , Fulbright Foreign Student Program in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - , Fulbright Foreign Student Program in Washington, DC

I worked at AMIDEAST as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- Entry-level employees have the opportunity to acquire basic administrative skills and office experience.
    - AMIDEAST offers the potential for overseas work in one of their many field offices in the Middle East region.
    - Senior leadership and management appear to be committed to furthering the organization's mission.

Cons

- Employees lack interpersonal and communications skills and are awkward in their approaches to dealing with people.
    - Program officers generally lack management experience ; they are inept at offering constructive performance feedback to supervisees.
    - Micromanagement is the norm at AMIDEAST. Program officers delegate one task at a time to supervisees who, as a result, miss out on the opportunity to learn how to juggle competing priorities and balance a workload.
    - Salaries for program officers and assistants are extremely uncompetitive, and there is almost no opportunity for upward professional growth.
    - The AMIDEAST office culture as a whole is boring and incohesive.

Professional development plans need to be implemented at the program assistant and possibly intern levels. Salaries need to be adjusted if AMIDEAST wishes to retain its program officers and associates for more than 14 months.

Lots of work, but good people

Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at AMIDEAST as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

You do get to be a part of an organization doing great work, and most of the coworkers are friendly.

Cons

Not a lot of cross-office communication, and the differences between the regulars and management is usually pretty stark.

Work on creating a more cohesive whole and the organization can improve that much more.

If you're a young professional, motivated, or interested in engaging with your work, AMIDEAST is not for you.

Current Employee - Program Assistant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Program Assistant in Washington, DC

I have been working at AMIDEAST as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Gives a different insight into international affairs. Most of the people working here are very sweet but keep to themselves. Office is low-key and mellow. There are certain office activities such as coffee hour every month and a brown-bag lunch series.

Cons

Definitely not a place for young professionals or people with aspirations for their career. Very little enthusiasm for the work being completed. The Fulbright side may have a better environment,but for the most part there is small traces of a community.

Management needs to consider their employees. Myself and multiple other coworkers were forced into making an on the spot decision and were not allowed to negotiate schedule or pay. AMIDEAST is very aggressive about hiring but very uninvolved

Good.

Current Employee - Program Officer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Program Officer in Washington, DC

I have been working at AMIDEAST full-time

Pros

Flexibility, creativity, dedication, openness, staff support.

Cons

Difficulty increasing pay, support for staff

decent place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at AMIDEAST

Pros

nice people, collegial environment, interesting mission, professional development and travel opportunities

Cons

low salaries, long work day, no employer contribution to retirement for 2 years, little recognition for a job well done

if you provide higher salaries at the lower levels, you can keep your employees happier and avoid turnover