AMK9 Reviews

9 reviews filtered by
2.8
CEO

1. experience as EDD handler

Current Contractor - Handler in Kaf Taskī (Afghanistan)
    Current Contractor - Handler in Kaf Taskī (Afghanistan)

I have been working at AMK9 as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Its good but vacation remain a huge challenge because your R&R is never defined.salary and pay is ok and in time.

Cons

Training is good and you can gather the best skills ever on earth

Advice to Management

Consider and mind about families left behind because employees need time to rest and atleast spend some time with families back home.Long time before R&R keeps torturing employees especially married couples,please be fair and humane.

2. I worked with so much passion in the job I was employed to do.

Former Employee - No Comment
    Former Employee - No Comment

I worked at AMK9

Pros

The Pay was good, but the way I left or end of contract I was devistated.

Cons

None, I was one of the hard workers there they kept the lazy people

Advice to Management

No Comment

3. fine

I have been working at AMK9 full-time

Pros

you get a steady paycheck

Cons

good luck using your vacation days

5. overall, very easy job for the money in Basra, Iraq

Current Contractor - EDD Handler in Al Makīnah, Basra Governorate (Iraq)
    Current Contractor - EDD Handler in Al Makīnah, Basra Governorate (Iraq)

I have been working at AMK9 as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Work schedule is very easy- 4 days one week and 3 days the next week- work is not hard- only entry check points and searching bags and vehicles. Everything is paid for (living quarters and food). It is like being in a minimum security jail with no supervision. Pay is slightly lower that industry standard but if you compare to the amount of hours worked, I guess it balances out.

Cons

Kennel master is a joke- has lied repeatedly to handlers on various issues- does not do his job- stays in his room unless he has a meeting to go to or is going to chow- you will not see him anywhere else. Delegates all duties he can so he doesn't have to work. It seems there have been positions "created" to assist this KM. When we requested the job description for the titles of "Team Leader" and "Assistant Kennel Master" as it pertains the to the Basrah contract, we was told those were not valid positions for this contract. This "team leader" or "assistant kennel master" as they have been called does not work a post and only does "Admin" things since the KM delegated this person to do them.
    New trainer (assigned in August) is also a joke. ZERO professionalism towards handlers- curses and yells at handlers on numerous occasions. No one is sure if he is even certified as a trainer- research on my end has shown he is not but I cant say for sure. Trainer is very careless during training sessions.
    Leave issues are a big problem which created moral issues. Contract discrepancies have been identified and brought to the attention of management but handlers were told "that the contract was not accurate". Contract states you will accrue a 35 day R&R for every 105 days you are in country. All handlers leave date has been pushed back by as much as 90 days for some. Accrue means earn, so if your R&R date was pushed back for just say, 30 days, that 30 days WILL NOT COUNT towards your next R&R, even though you are in country. Some guys will not even get a second R&R since their first was pushed back for so long.
    Management overall is a joke but if you can put up with the little issues, the job is not bad.

Advice to Management

Address the management issues to improve moral with the handlers. Handlers are afraid to speak out regarding the issue for fear of some type of retribution. If there are concerns from the handlers, and there are many, do not tell them to send an email with those concerns. Have a member of management, other than the Kennel Master and trainer, meet with the handlers.

6. Canine Detection Handler (K9)

Current Intern - Canine Detection Handler: in Kabul (Afghanistan)
    Current Intern - Canine Detection Handler: in Kabul (Afghanistan)

I have been working at AMK9 as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

Good company to work for, salary is great

Cons

Mostly contract work, limited permanent positions.

Advice to Management

Employ more international people

Typical government contractor

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at AMK9 as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Payroll is usually on-time
    Vacations are paid, which means you don't have to pre-plan your finances to account for it

Cons

They have a willingness to force employees to work obscene amounts of hours without compensating them for the extra work.
    The living conditions (although not entirely AMK9's fault) are spotty at best.
    Pay is lower than average the average for most companies

8. Learned a lot about war, people and dogs.

Former Contractor - PNDD in Dabak, Kandahar Province (Afghanistan)
    Former Contractor - PNDD in Dabak, Kandahar Province (Afghanistan)

I worked at AMK9 as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

I was working as a Patrol Narcotic Detection Dog handler(PNDD), Team Leader and kennel master, and also as an instructor.

Cons

You never knew when was your next leave.

Advice to Management

Treed your employees good, and they will look after the company.

9. Not worth your time and experience.

Former Employee - Patrol/Explosives K9 Handler in Kabul (Afghanistan)
    Former Employee - Patrol/Explosives K9 Handler in Kabul (Afghanistan)

I worked at AMK9

Pros

It's a tax free pay check as long as you stay out of the U.S. for 330 days of the tax year.

Cons

So many "cons". Treatment of dogs is at the top of my list, if the dogs are not assigned they are "forgotten" and given the least amount of care. So many dogs I've seen were emaciated, and neglected. You will sleep in a tent, and won't have much privacy. They also don't provide internet access. We actually paid out of pocket for our own.

Advice to Management

If I could tell management anything it would be "You are no longer in the military!!! And you were probably never Drill Instructors or very good at your jobs. Learn some people skills, and quit trying to relive your military career.

It sucked tremendously

Former Contractor - Kennel Master in Bagrām (Afghanistan)
    Former Contractor - Kennel Master in Bagrām (Afghanistan)

I worked at AMK9 as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Kennel master pay was 102,000 a year

Cons

Company often pays late or doesn't pay full pay. Fights against paying full bonus. Leadership treats subordinates with disdain

Advice to Management

Fire current afghanistan leadership.