AMLI Residential

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Greg Mutz

Great Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsIt's nice to be a part of something that you're proud to represent. AMLI's resident programs are designed to create and keep a highly satisfied resident population. Like-minded employees are selected, trained and encouraged to be the best they can be to support this goal. It's nice to work with others who want to be and contribute to a winning team. There are numerous employee programs designed to award and reward. Integrity is abundant.

ConsAs with most organizations, there are some growing pains with expansion. Urgency is an important attribute; continue to balance varying department initiatives.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay true to your roots! They're good!

AMLI is not cracked up to all that they say they are.

Service Manager (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsAMLI has a very high standard and they have a lot of Class A properties

ConsAMLI's standard are so high that they expect you to give them the moon. If you do that they will take care of you if you don't you are gone.

Advice to Senior ManagementService managers are flooded with reports, inspections, logs and budgets.expect a lot of ppwk along with the physical work as well.

Jul 23, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. AMLI does set a high performance standard for our Service Managers. We have evolved the role over the years from a senior technician to a true ... More

Leasing agent

Leasing Consultant (Current Employee) Naperville, IL

ProsVery detailed training plan. Company has been around for a while, and knows what they are doing. Very forward focused. Innovation, cross training, and expertise in your craft are all highly recognized. Many opportunities for growth. Focused on work life home life balance. Community and charity oriented as well. 20% off housing costs if you live on property

ConsNot much to say here. I don't enjoy working weekends, of course. But overall I really have nothing to complain about. Im still fairly new, but so far so good. I don't know what else to say.

Jun 3, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your views on working for AMLI. I am pleased to read that your experiences in this first year have been positive and that you appreciate our training programs ... More
  1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Poor Upper Management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsRapidly expanding, so there are a lot of opportunities.

ConsUpper management doesn't know how to manage employees. They give no feed back or direction. They are regularly understaffed, so they expect the rest of the team to pick up the work load.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet clear expectation of your employees and help them achieve it. Give constant feed back so your employees can meet those goals.

Apr 24, 2014

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. AMLI has a well-defined performance management process that includes goal setting, a 90-day initial review a mid-year review and annual performance appraisal ... More

don't bother.

Service Tech (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsDecent pay, 401k matching up to 50 percent,

ConsAs a maintenance tech I would spend more time looking for parts to fix things than fixing things. I worked on a 100 million dollar complex with six men on the maintenance staff. We all shared one ladder. The service manager received a free one bedroom apartment. Everyone else received a 20 percent discount, Unless there were to many people living on site. In that case you were out of luck. And paid full price. Amli has a very high turnover rate. Amli also has a habit of trying to screw over it former tenants and employees by charging them absurd fees and fines after they move out.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your act together. Unless you love interviewing people.

Apr 23, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments, including the positive feedback on AMLI’s compensation and 401(k) plan. I am sorry that you did not have a positive experience at AMLI. We ... More

Great company to work for.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWork-life balance. Receive bonuses and work is appreciated.

ConsNo room for growth. You cannot take time-off until you have been there 6 months.

Apr 23, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We take pride in our bonus and recognition programs and pleased to hear you found a work life balance while working at AMLI. I am sorry to hear you ... More

Leasing Consultant Review

Leasing Consultant (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsA lot of support to help reach sales goals, resources readily available to learn more about the company, corporate and regional managers easily within reach.

ConsWork 8-10 day stretches, a lot of cliques within the management organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the onsite support

Apr 23, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and experiences. I have passed on your comments to the Dallas and senior management teams, as we are always looking for ways to improve our work ... More

Too much volunteerism and employee donations requested

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat leadership. Executives are readily available and have quarterly conference and recognition events which they attend and seem to really take an interest in the success of employees.

ConsOften try to shove their "culture" down your throat. Excessive requests to donate to their preferred charities. Distracting office events (ex: chair racing, filming videos for events) then with the guise of a contest for college hoops brackets or super bowl squares, they take and give half the money to their preferred charity and only give half back to employees, but take the tax break themselves without offering you the employee a receipt for your charitable donations. During events people yelling and screaming in middle of office making concentration or phone calls impossible.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't shove your Lungevity and SOS charities down our throats.

Apr 23, 2014

Thank you for taking time to share your feedback. I am disappointed to read that you feel we are pushing volunteering and corporate culture in a negative manner. AMLI was built on the foundation ... More

Ups and downs

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsTraining classes, nice commissions, closed on most holidays, friendly policies for the residents, nice benefits

ConsNot structured very well, too many policies that confuse employees, docks pay on mystery shop scores, lots of red tape, no overtime pay

Advice to Senior ManagementPay for overtime when short-staffed, twice-a-year tours are all show (have unexpected visits if you really want to see what goes on), have all shops be video or audio recorded

Apr 24, 2014

Thank you for taking time to share your comments, both positive and constructive. AMLI has developed policies and procedures that support our efforts to handle situations consistently and within ... More

Red Queen Theory: Run fast but get nowhere

Community Manager (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsCompensation is above industry average. Great training department. Awards programs create a healthy competition. Majority of communities are quality assets.

ConsOne thing the Red Queen loves is red tape, and at AMLI you will a lot. There is a significant disconnect between senior management and onsite operations staff. A lot of time is wasted on unimportant details. National Property Tours are an absolute joke. Senior management should just show up. Even some of the VPs refer to it as a dog and pony show.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn business there exists is a thing called the “Red Queen Theory.” This theory is based off of the queen from “Through the Looking Glass,” where the queen runs as fast as she can, not to get ahead, but merely to keep up with the world around her. That is what it felt like to work at AMLI, as if we were constantly working and fighting to keep up with our competition, yet never finding ways to pass them. When I discussed this fact with a few peers who are also former AMLI alums, we sadly realized that the best description of this was a “culture of mediocrity.”
    After five years of working with AMLI, I will say that there were some pros and cons to working with this company. At times, I felt like I learned more about how not to lead people than how to lead people. There was a constant disconnect between senior management and onsite operations. I’ve read that this seems to be a consistent theme on reviews of all management companies, so maybe AMLI is just keeping up with the dysfunction of their industry peers. At the same time, I felt that AMLI failed to address the key issue, how do we be the best? That answer which escaped them was simple. Take care of your people.
    One of the strengths of AMLI is their ability to squeeze water out of a rock. Their processes and programs, policies and procedures, turned innovative new hire’s into black and white automatons. Every property, regardless of resident demographic, must market, manage and execute exactly the same way, down to the same black and white uniforms that every employee must wear. The high turnover that we saw was, in my opinion, directly related to the fact that this company would push people to their limits, using extreme expectations and a strict structure. In theory, squeezing that rock should produce a diamond, but in most cases it just produced unhappy coal.
    Having said that, AMLI is doing a few things very well. Their training program, particularly the Peer Trainer Program, has improved the team’s ability to attract the right talent. Top talent in the market place is concerned whether a new company will give them the tools to succeed. In this respect, AMLI markets their education program well. It’s not a perfect education system, but if I were to pick a department that impressed me, it would be the Education Department. The VP is phenomenal and her team is solid.
    From a compensation perspective, I would also say that AMLI does well. It is not the highest paying company in the market, but on a scale of 1 to 10, I’d say their compensation packages would rank an 8. I was very pleased with mine, and the bonus structure was above industry average. As a service manager, they did offer free apartments so that they could have a 24 hour maintenance emergency presence. This is a benefit that has almost entirely disappeared from our industry, which makes it a strong point.
    AMLI is aware that there are far too many levels of red tape. I’ve been in strategy meetings and conferences where the top brass discussed the need to improve in this area. I know it’s a focus, but it felt as though it was a problem they were afraid to fix. As if loosening the shackles to allow the prisoner movement might result in full-fledged riot in the prison. My argument was simply this, “you trust me to manage a $100,000,000 piece of real estate but not to make a $100 decision?”
    If you want to feel like a number, AMLI is your company. Before I joined AMLI, a former VP for AMLI called me to talk me out of it. This VP said, “I was a vice president there and I felt like a number. AMLI just doesn’t know how to treat people.” I quickly saw what the VP meant. AMLI put so much focus on achieving results but not enough into determining are these the right results? In life nothing is more valuable than a person’s time. AMLI focused on so many things that wasted their employees time, that it was hard to achieve the right results. I can’t even begin to count the number of tasks that even VPs and regional managers said were pointless, but needed to be done anyway. The biggest insult you can give a man is to waste his time.
    Here is my advice to AMLI: The founders of AMLI are great men. I’ve personally had the pleasure of talking shop, rehashing about the military, and just chatting with these gentlemen on a number of occasions. They had a great vision that turned into a thriving and profitable company. Maybe it’s the difference between the baby boomers and the X & Y generations, but somewhere along the line there became a disconnect. Maybe it’s that the people in senior management roles lost touch with what it means to be on the ground?
    You have the body for greatness and mind for success, but the brain isn’t listening to the signals coming from the arms and legs. AMLI deserves so much more than mediocre. I truly hope that AMLI becomes the type of employer that keeps top talent. More than anything, I hope that AMLI refocuses on the most valuable asset, their people. AMLI deserves to be the pace setter, but as the saying goes, “the pace of the leader sets the pace of the pack.”

Worked for AMLI Residential? Contribute to the Community!