AMN Healthcare

AMN Healthcare Reviews

Updated Jul 2, 2014

AMN Healthcare President, CEO, and Director Susan R. Salka

Susan R. Salka

Pros:
  • "Nice cafe and gym for employees"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Friendly co-workers, nice location"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Low pay compared to other companies"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Although they appreciate you (as long as you do well) you definitely get a sense of a revolving door with the company"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Market leader in healthcare staffing

San Diego, CA

ProsGreat amenities (e.g. gym, cafe, parking) and work environment
    Thought leader in its industry and market leader in most business lines
    Well defined career paths for many departments

ConsLow salary and benefits lead to higher turnover
    Computer technology antiquated and lacking in integration
    Does not allow its staff to provide references for former employees

Flag Review
    AMN Healthcare Senior Manager, Online Marketing responded to this review Jan 24, 2014 EditDelete
    I am sorry that you experienced difficulties with AMN’s technology platforms; however, we are happy to report we are in the midst of a company-wide technology overhaul that will result in upgraded ... More

I enjoyed working at AMN

Client Accounting Representative (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsI was fortunate enough to work with people I liked. They offer plenty of benefits including adoption assistance. Overall, it was a good experience

ConsI left because I saw people who had been in the same position for years without being promoted. However, after I left one of my co-workers got a job in another department and is making more money, but is working a lot of over-time hours to get his work done.

If you don't want to make $$$ as a sales professional - WORK HERE

Account Manager (Current Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsThe people & the corporate office location.

ConsPoor compensation and commission opportunity ; technology from 1985, maybe. The company's main objective is to be a 10% EBITA company , so they stick it to their clients in the form of increasing rates but fail to compensate the people responsible for these increases/ "wins."

Advice to Senior ManagementTransparancy regarding salaries /reviews , specifically how AMNs offering to employees stacks up against other large employers both in the industry and in the geography.

Flag Review
    AMN Healthcare Senior Manager, Online Marketing responded to this review Jan 21, 2014 EditDelete
    I am sorry to hear you have been unhappy with parts of your AMN experience. AMN truly values our team members and is proud of our total rewards package which includes not only base compensation, but ... More
  • We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I have never felt so welcome in my life.

San Diego, CA

ProsI am a very new employee, but I can read a company pretty quickly.
    My first day, I was greeted by the director of my department, along with other management, holding a giant welcome sign in the lobby. Followed by Starbucks, meet and greets with near everyone, a big signed poster on my wall and a gift basket complete with card.
    They scheduled and paid for a department lunch on my behalf, and followed that up with daily lunches with different executives.
    I have never had a company do half as much.

The director has consistently asked how things are going and re-affirmed how happy they are to have me.

Co-Workers are all long term employees. The people complaining before about turnover must be speaking about sales alone, because my department is seasoned. Everyone is friendly, welcoming and working hard to make you feel a part of the team.

Facility is beautiful, amenities out the you know what.

Gym, subsidized Starbucks (2$!), security.

Pay is comparable, if not better in this economy. SoCal was hit hard and I was seeing the same position listed for half the compensation.

4/10 Schedule is fantastic. Alternating Thursday/Friday off.

Cons(This is where people complained about unrealistic expectations)
    You are told from the beginning that you will be held to a high standard, if your aren't prepared to work your ___ off, then why accept the job?? Half ass it somewhere else.

The software is laughable. What should be a one step process, is dragged through SIX different programs. I am told this is soon to transition though.

Very old school. I've held higher positions in just as "corporate" environments, where tattoos were allowed, if you followed business professional dress code. I was warned that even the smallest tattoo is to be covered with a band-aid. Needless to say, I'll be wearing long sleeves until the CEO is gone.

Advice to Senior ManagementI suppose to focus less on trivial things, like tattoos and shoes.
    And more on implementing new technology that will at the very least, triple your productivity. Having 6 programs open at once to finish one task is just laughable.

Great company if you like to work hard and play hard

San Diego, CA

ProsTop performers get paid very well at AMN, great co-workers, willling to train and develop you particularly in sales and recruiting, they are beginning to embrace the importance of technology, theres a great on site gym, a Starbucks, cafeteria, covered parking, business casual, great holiday parties and events

ConsNot for those that just want a check without putting in the effort, management can be a little dated and conservative

Great Company!

(Current Employee)
    Irving, TX

ProsAMN has new IT leadership that are very forward thinking in their approach. The entire team will have skills more valuable the IT industry in a couple years than they would have with prior leadership. It's a company that believes in promoting from within. Woman really have an opportunity to move into VP positions and higher. The average tenure for team members is much higher than any other company I've worked for.

ConsI'm not sure if it's the industry or AMN itself or both but they are very sensitive to the economy and market. If sales are down no one will receive merit increases.

Great experience overall

Travel Nurse Recruiter (Current Employee)
    Huntersville, NC

ProsMost money I ever made.

ConsThis job was stressful beyond belief.

Summer Worker review

Summer Worker (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsGreat culture and friendly people

ConsJob was not what I had expected--lots of scanning (worked in DIS). If accepted to summer worker program, ask for any other department.

Advice to Senior Managementgive summer workers more exciting projects

Traveling Physical Therapist Review

Travel Physical Therapist (Former Employee)
    Orlando, FL

ProsMedTravellers/Platinum Select have many opportunities around the country in all types of settings. My recruiter replies to me quickly with my concerns/questions. They are willing to work with the companies and with you to get the rate I desire or at least close to it. They also give you the support you need, when there is any conflict with the assignment you are working on.

ConsThey don't have all the contacts in that particular city, that some other travel companies might have.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaintain communication with therapists that you have worked with in the past, with personalized emails or phone calls.

Stressful, Turn over very high! Military style training program, EXTREMELY unorganized !!

Recruiter (Former Employee)
    Irving, TX

Pros*Gym on location
    * Centrally located to area

Cons* LOW pay
    * Poor Management
    * VERY Unorganized
    * HIGH HIGH turnover
    * Sweat shop they set your goals for 100 calls / day you hit that then they tell you It isn't good enough!
    * KPI 's are unreasonable for new employees
    * No communication
    * Back is always against the wall.

Advice to Senior ManagementMorals- Get some!

Worked for AMN Healthcare? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at AMN Healthcare reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for AMN Healthcare CEO Susan R. Salka. All 83 reviews posted anonymously by AMN Healthcare employees.