AMN Healthcare

Be The First To
Add Photos

AMN Healthcare President, CEO, and Director Susan R. Salka

Susan R. Salka

Pros:
  • "Nice cafe and gym for employees"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Friendly co-workers, nice location"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Low pay and unrealistic expectations for sales goals"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Although they appreciate you (as long as you do well) you definitely get a sense of a revolving door with the company"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

make more money of charging nurses for fees than from hospital contracts

Travel RN (Former Employee)

I worked at AMN Healthcare full-time

Prosnone. run now. don't get stuck with this company for even one contract. NOT WORTH IT

Conslied about pay. lied about positions. left me stranded in cities with no job with not even an apology TWICE. when I decided to go with a different company tried to charge me all sorts of fees and refused to pay me.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop teaching used car salesmen sales strategies, deceit, lies, and financial corruption. You'd make more money paying your nurses honestly, treating them fairly and you'll be able to make money off the contracts rather than having to make money off of charging nurses who work so hard to help people. With all the reviews coming out this company won't be in business long. At least one can hope to save other hard-working, well-meaning nurses from having to go through so much personal, professional, and financial damage. The retaliation I received for deciding to go with a different more fair company was awful. And it came from every side. Shame on you. Get a conscience. And a good lawyer.

Worst pay in the industry, recruiters who don't care if you stay for more than one assignment and blatantly lie to you.

Travel Nurse (Former Employee)

I worked at AMN Healthcare as a contractor for less than a year

ProsPossibly the largest selection of travel/temporary RN jobs
They hire travelers with no experience

ConsWorst travel RN pay (blended pay is only there to benefit the company, not the traveler)
Terrible, cheap, disgusting company housing
Recruiters will tell you anything to get you to the job then once you start, those promises are rarely kept.
Basically non-existent benefits ( health insurance is very expensive and poor coverage)
Paycheck mistakes that are never addressed
Support staff gives you attitude when you call for help or concerns

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your travel and temporary employees with a little more respect. Make your pay at least somewhat competitive with other travel RN companies since your benefits are also awful. Make recruiters accountable for what they promise in a contract when it is not delivered.

Great coworkers but weak management. Little to no room for advancement.

Marketing Specialist (Former Employee)
San Diego, CA

I worked at AMN Healthcare full-time for more than a year

Pros- Great company events (Halloween, Christmas, Summer team building)
- Cafe and Gym onsite
- Medium sized company, so a great variety of people and personalities to meet
- Leader in the healthcare staffing industy. CEO and other top management seem very focused

Cons- Outdated work processes, using software and systems that other companies were using years ago
- Difficult and slow to move up the ladder, if at all
- Other than one manager, management is not engaged and really doesn't seem to know what they are doing. It's hard to believe you are being "managed" or "led" when you see incompetence
- Majority of employees in departments are all preparing themselves to leave. At the end of the day pay is very important and with salaries being low in every role, people start to get ready to leave after about a year. Turnover can be very high in certain departments
- Any new opening gets hired externally, rather than promoted from within. The company claims to internally promote but this is not the case 90% of the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementBeing a multi-million dollar company means that employees start to look at their salaries and realize there is a mismatch. Match more realistic salary requirements to the roles. Also, rather than say there is room for advancement - prove it by hiring internally. Too many external hires without a good balance of promotion. Focus on the staff you have.

A Company That Seems To Foster Constant Improvement

Researcher (Former Employee)
San Diego, CA

I worked at AMN Healthcare part-time for less than a year

ProsHighly professional and pleasant staff. The company seems committed to excellence and upward growth. Received clear feedback and instructions for work submitted. Project leaders / managers were responsive to questions and requests about timelines and details of projects.

ConsDidn't experience any downsides. I was hired to work on an off-site project, so I did not visit the company's office or attend on-site business meetings.

Irving California Open House was not professional

Doctor Recruiter (Current Employee)
Irving, TX

I have been working at AMN Healthcare full-time for less than a year

ProsEntry level job is acceptable

ConsI referred healthcare recruiters to AMN Open House. My friend interviewed, took an assessment and was disappointed with the practices in the HR dept. They did not treat her with respect and her application was not followed up on. I have heard of stories like this bu saw it first hand with my friend. I was offered a job because I am new and eager to work but I can see the revolving door. Seeing my friend not treated with respect during the interview process was embarrassing and I have already started to apply to other companies. It's not worth it to be associated with a company that exhibits lack of professionalism.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalent Acquisition and HR needs a complete overhaul.

Recruiter

Recruiter (Current Employee)
Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at AMN Healthcare full-time for more than 10 years

ProsOpportunity to make a good income.

ConsLeadership in the Salt Lake office is horrible. No one seems to listen to the complaints, see the turnover and the favoritism that takes place from leadership, HR does not see to care or listen to the complaints.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the current management and bring someone in that knows what they are doing.

Leadership is lacking

I have been working at AMN Healthcare full-time for more than 5 years

ProsNice building and location in San Diego. Lots of show and self proclaimed accomplishments. Good marketing effort and spin. Say it enough times and hope people believe

ConsPay is sub par. Respect for people is lacking. The top leadership group takes care of each other.
Questionable management

Advice to Senior ManagementChange upper management. They are too comfortable and push down blame. Need more accountability the executive levels.

Enjoy coming to work!

I have been working at AMN Healthcare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros-great team collaboration
-fair pay
-nice gym
-nice cafe
-fun environment
-opportunity for growth
-tuition reimbursement
-toastmaster club, wellness program, great opportunities to network

Cons-had some issues with incompetent leaders my first year, but things were taken care of and these employees no longer have leadership roles
-healthcare staffing was never an industry I wanted to work in and does not transfer to anything I am looking to do
-see some people that are unethical get promoted fast even though it is clear they are acting inappropriately

Great Work Environment

I have been working at AMN Healthcare full-time for more than 5 years

ProsAMN is one of the best places I have worked. Fun work environment, Great career plan, training is available

ConsYou definitely have to prove yourself in the beginning, but once you have earned respect you will do well in the company.

Extremely positive environment for professional and personal growth

Recruiter (Current Employee)

I have been working at AMN Healthcare full-time

Pros- Very encouraging and supportive team and leadership--everyone wants you to succeed.
- Hard work is pretty quickly rewarded both in "pats on the back" as well as in your paycheck and progress in the company.
- Great potential for on-going income growth IF you are willing to work hard.
- Training and resources readily available
- Fun work environment of all ages
- You definitely have to prove yourself in the beginning but once you have earned respect (which isn't hard if you have any sense of work ethic or professionalism) you will do well in the company.

Cons- The tough travelers and stressful days come with the job...but the good part is that everyone gets them at some point so it mostly makes for entertaining "watercooler" talk
- The most challenging part of the job is during the initial training period where your efforts are not rewarded like they would be if you weren't training, however the sacrifice in the beginning makes for really good success in the long run

Advice to Senior Management- May not always be a position for "freshly out of college" applicants who haven't experienced professional environments or understand what the kinds of rewards that come with putting in hard work.

Worked for AMN Healthcare? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at AMN Healthcare reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for AMN Healthcare CEO Susan R. Salka. All 69 reviews posted anonymously by AMN Healthcare employees.