AMN Healthcare

AMN Healthcare Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

AMN Healthcare President, CEO, and Director Susan R. Salka

Susan R. Salka

Pros
  • Nice cafe and gym for employees(in 4 reviews)

• Friendly co-workers, nice location(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay compared to other companies(in 8 reviews)

• Low pay and unrealistic expectations for sales goals(in 3 reviews)

It is a very corporate

Recruiter (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsAbility to relocate to another office

ConsIt is a very corporate

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember, we are in the people business

How about "Zero" Stars?

Recruiter (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsThe founders, Gail & Steve had a good concept but were hands-off from the early stage's inception.The work culture resembles: being tethered by an invisible leash to your cubicle for (8) hours a day, misleading and misrepresenting traveling nurse job positions.

ConsAntiquated Management Style/ Office Equipment, "Sweat-Shop" Mentality for inside sales/recruiters. Huge Attrition Rate Always!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementThey don't want to change or improve...so why bother?

AMN helped me start my recruitment career

Recruiter (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsAMN teaches you the fundamentals of a Recruiter.. Helps start your career

ConsNot alot of advancement, its a very corporate environment

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees they are the ones that work hard for you... adapt to change

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Review

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsGreat people, and nice building.

ConsPay is horrible, no room for advancement. No raises.

Good company, experience may vary by department and location

Marketing (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsFirst, it should be pointed out that different departments have considerably different environments. For example, many employees work in recruitment, which is essentially a sales position. If you don't like selling on the phone and aggressive goals, you will not like working in that capacity. My experience in Marketing has been great for the most part, entailing supportive management, interesting projects and constant learning. As others have pointed out, the corporate office in San Diego is beautiful, centrally located near Del Mar and has many amenities like an onsite cafe and gym. Personally, I feel the executive management (particularly the CEO) believes and does their best to promote the company values. AMN has acquired other staffing companies, and I cannot speak for the corporate culture in other locations, which seem to have more negative reviews.

ConsIn my mind cons are:
    - Fair to middling pay. AMN is not a huge corporation and then factor in a sunshine discount.
    - Reactive approach. Long term strategies and projects aside, most work seems to involve fighting fires and reacting to customers, competitors, investor perception, etc.
    - Limited advancement. This one is tough, because everyone wants to move up, but there are only so many management and above positions, and individual contributors are needed. Still, I think more could be done to promote internally.

Advice to Senior ManagementOn the whole, I think upper management is doing a good job. My advice would be to steer the ship with more conviction and not react to every change in the wind. If we have better strategy and execution, that will prevail in the end. Also, focusing on innovation is important, but often continuous improvement in critical areas yield greater results than doing new things just to say we are ahead of the curve.

Content Specialist

Content Specialist (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsGreat people, on-site gym, on-site cafeteria with great and cheap food, nice location, beautiful building

ConsOld computers, having to clock in and out for coming, leaving and lunchtime. You'd forget and it was kind of an ordeal to fix it.

Started great then went down hill.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsThe people, the mission of helping people and it's status in healthcare.

ConsSome executives are allowed to continue to treat team members with great disrespect. It can also take extremely long periods of time to make decisions and the most senior executive doesn't like to make waves with other executives so bad decisions are often made. Employees are afraid to speak up.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees do not say what they think in the annual engagement survey for fear of reprisal. Even though it's confidential staff, for especially small teams, are concerned for their jobs.i

Great company

ProsWonderful flexibility, great culture, nice cafeteria

Cons56 commute is tough at times

make more money of charging nurses for fees than from hospital contracts

Travel RN (Former Employee)

Prosnone. run now. don't get stuck with this company for even one contract. NOT WORTH IT

Conslied about pay. lied about positions. left me stranded in cities with no job with not even an apology TWICE. when I decided to go with a different company tried to charge me all sorts of fees and refused to pay me.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop teaching used car salesmen sales strategies, deceit, lies, and financial corruption. You'd make more money paying your nurses honestly, treating them fairly and you'll be able to make money off the contracts rather than having to make money off of charging nurses who work so hard to help people. With all the reviews coming out this company won't be in business long. At least one can hope to save other hard-working, well-meaning nurses from having to go through so much personal, professional, and financial damage. The retaliation I received for deciding to go with a different more fair company was awful. And it came from every side. Shame on you. Get a conscience. And a good lawyer.

Great coworkers but weak management. Little to no room for advancement.

Marketing Specialist (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

Pros- Great company events (Halloween, Christmas, Summer team building)
    - Cafe and Gym onsite
    - Medium sized company, so a great variety of people and personalities to meet
    - Leader in the healthcare staffing industy. CEO and other top management seem very focused

Cons- Outdated work processes, using software and systems that other companies were using years ago
    - Difficult and slow to move up the ladder, if at all
    - Other than one manager, management is not engaged and really doesn't seem to know what they are doing. It's hard to believe you are being "managed" or "led" when you see incompetence
    - Majority of employees in departments are all preparing themselves to leave. At the end of the day pay is very important and with salaries being low in every role, people start to get ready to leave after about a year. Turnover can be very high in certain departments
    - Any new opening gets hired externally, rather than promoted from within. The company claims to internally promote but this is not the case 90% of the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementBeing a multi-million dollar company means that employees start to look at their salaries and realize there is a mismatch. Match more realistic salary requirements to the roles. Also, rather than say there is room for advancement - prove it by hiring internally. Too many external hires without a good balance of promotion. Focus on the staff you have.

Worked for AMN Healthcare? Contribute to the Community!