AMN Healthcare

Updated February 1, 2015
3.2

AMN Healthcare President, CEO, and Director Susan R. Salka
Susan R. Salka

Pros
  • AMN is a great place to work because of the people (in 7 reviews)

• Nice cafe and gym for employees (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay compared to other companies (in 9 reviews)

• The burn out is extremely high and as another review mentioned, there's a revolving door the size of Texas (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

The giant in the industry - proud to work for the best.

I have been working at AMN Healthcare

Pros

You work with the industry's top performers with the best analytics that a client or candidate would want to know. Huge data base of candidates and clients. Lot's of acquisitions to offer career advancement.

Cons

You work a ton - not mandatory but just not enough hours in the day to get done what you want to do while the demand is at the highest it has been in years. But again, not forced but when you work with the industry's best you want to perform at the same level.

I am in a good spot - there is no advice that I would give that they haven't identified themselves as opportunities for improvement with initiatives in place.

Large company with hundreds of job postings unlike smaller companies

Current Employee - Travel Nurse
    Current Employee - Travel Nurse

I have been working at AMN Healthcare as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Hundreds of posted jobs and I have never had a problem getting the exact city/job I wanted

Cons

Was having difficulty with payroll, was told company is growing fast so some departments are having a slower time adjusting.

Nurse

I have been working at AMN Healthcare

Pros

Very professional and easy to work with. They go extra mile to find assignment.

Cons

Their payroll system can be very anoying.Missing worked hours requiring multiple trips to nursing office.

Switch to another payroll system since this is recurrent almost chronic issue

Disappointing

Former Employee - Housing and Travel Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Housing and Travel Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at AMN Healthcare full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nice facility in San Diego - great gym!

Cons

A very political company. It is not what you do but who know - everyday of your life.

Better listening to employees.

Not the greatest experience.

Current Employee - CVOR Surgical Tech in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - CVOR Surgical Tech in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AMN Healthcare

Pros

Lots of job options compared to competitors.

Cons

My recruiter was terrible; arranged my housing twice where I had to stay at a hotel for a few nights and move in the middle of the week, while working. Very out of touch with the reality of the traveler's needs.

It seems like the left hand is not communicating with the right when the departments have no idea what the other has arranged.

AMN Healthcare Response

Jan 16, 2015DVP, Nursing

I am very sorry to hear about your experience and that you were unhappy with your recruiter. I would like to learn more about what happened, to make sure you and any future travelers do not ... More

research consultant

I have been working at AMN Healthcare

Pros

people work together, team environment

Cons

difficult to move up in the company

Great experience, however, that experience depends on what you want to put into it.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

I have been working at AMN Healthcare

Pros

Ability to make great money, and have a very cohesive team environment.

Cons

Upper leadership is saturated, and movement is difficult.

Develop new business lines to free-up cross movement among employees.

AMN Healthcare Response

Jan 12, 2015Chief Talent Officer

Thank you for sharing your experience of working at AMN – I am glad to hear you are happy with the corporate culture and benefits offered. AMN is passionate about career development and we anticipate ... More

Seriously Amazing

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at AMN Healthcare

Pros

I recently experienced a tragedy in my family. I received a personal phone call form our CEO Susan that was heartfelt. This meant so much to me. AMN lives it's core values and leadership truly cares about all team members. Regardless of what department we work in, we are valued. I love the people I work with and am so glad I made the switch to AMN years ago.

Cons

Because we are such a large organization sometimes people get the wrong impression. That perhaps we are too big to care. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Run! Don't Walk!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Del Mar, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Del Mar, CA

I worked at AMN Healthcare full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Cafe and Starbucks with employee discount, gym, dry cleaning and onsite massage/chiropractor (not discounted)

Cons

Great onsite perks like cafe and Starbucks, but there's too much work and not enough staff to support the workload and newly acquired businesses. Many employees work overtime in order to keep up. IT is understaffed making it difficult for the entire company to work efficiently. Pay and benefits aren't great. AMN is notorious for overworking their employees, hence VERY high turnover. Please don't confuse their job openings as "growth and opportunity" rather they're replacing unhappy employees.

Listen to your employees and take action. The same issues are being discussed- low pay, poor benefits, stress of workload and poor attempt at investing in the employees. Your employee base is everything. They can make or break the success of the organization. If things don't change, employees will continue to leave, recruitment will continue to turnover positions and AMN will continue to lose continuity, time, resources and money with their revolving door.

Zero Job Security

Former Employee - Travel Nurse Recruiter in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Travel Nurse Recruiter in San Diego, CA

I worked at AMN Healthcare full-time (less than a year)

Pros

This position comes with great co-workers, cafeteria staff, and starbucks! The way AMN structures is to keep you on the phones and energize through your hours there.

Cons

Lets be clear, if you are an AMN recruiter, you have zero and I mean 0, job security. I've watched many hardworking recruiters, incuding myself be picked off from their desk and fired without any notification, counseling, nor warning. The fact that your goal is to progress, move forth, and establish a connection with nurses who are interested in traveling, but its not as simple when you're constantly worried that you might not have a job tomorrow. This position requires you to have no work life balance as you are to study on and off the clock and will consume you with the material that is given.

I urge all management and the CEO to assess the evaluation method of the recruiter position as many individuals are fired with no warning, quarterly analysis, any notification. Many individuals have sacrificed their personal lives, money and career change to pursue this position and only to be let go a few weeks later. Please advise and inform the future candidates that they do not have job security or change your evaluation methods of your recruiters.

AMN Healthcare Photos

Outside AMN, whose mission is to provide innovative healthcare workforce solutions and staffing services that help our clients, clinicians and physicians deliver excellent, cost effective patient care
Benefits at AMN’s San Diego office include an on-site gym, Starbucks and restaurant. Additionally, AMN offers a total rewards package, including base salary, incentives, benefits and recognition.

+ Add Photo