AMN Healthcare

Updated September 25, 2014
3.4

AMN Healthcare President, CEO, and Director Susan R. Salka
Susan R. Salka

Pros
  • AMN is a great place to work because of the people (in 7 reviews)

• Nice cafe and gym for employees (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay compared to other companies (in 8 reviews)

• Although they appreciate you (as long as you do well) you definitely get a sense of a revolving door with the company (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

great company to work for!

Former Employee - Sonographer  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sonographer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at AMN Healthcare full-time for less than a year

Pros

they worked diligently to accommodate the facility and myself

Cons

I can't think of any cons

Erin McConnell was an excellent, helpful, accommodating recruiter.

Exceptional!

Current Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Detroit, MI

I have been working at AMN Healthcare full-time for less than a year

Pros

My recruiter, Melanie Douglas-Major, and support staff Sarah Beck and Natalie Ritchie (and many others) always so helpful if I had questions or concerns with my current assignment. And many thanks to Ellen Lavin for enduring my tantrums at the end of my last contract. I have been a travel RN for less than a year, but thanks to "my team", I plan on doing it until I retire! Great way to see the country and work at the same time. Always meeting new people and learning new things that wouldn't have been possible if I had continued at my old job.

Cons

If you are new to traveling as a dialysis nurse, make sure you ask how big their program is, how many shifts of patients are expected each day, and how many facilities you will have to go to. My big mistake was going to Dallas as my very first assignment, and the adjustment almost drove me crazy! They had 28 contracts, and I ended up seeing every one of them! Also, everyone thinks travelers make big bucks, and we can (in overtime) but generally speaking we make the same as the full time employees at the facilities, not AMN's fault, the facility decides how much they're willing to pay for the assignment. Also, don't believe other agencies that tell you Obamacare is affordable, because it isn't. And lastly, we don't get paid sick or vacation days; don't miss the sick days because I'm never sick, but vacation between assignments means you have to put money away to cover the week without pay.

It would help if AMN arranged and paid for BLS and ACLS training. Hard to find and schedule the classes. Consider some paid time off after a certain number of assignments as well.

A Great Group of People Taking Care of You!

Current Employee - Travel Allied Health Professional-Medical Laboratory Scientist

I have been working at AMN Healthcare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have worked with AMN for four years. I am still very happy with how easy it is to contact everyone if I have any questions or concerns. The high level of professionalism and concern for my satisfaction is unlike anything I have seen with other companies. My recruiter Erin McConnell has worked hard to find me contracts and take care of all of my needs. She is a kind person and I am lucky to be able to work for her.

Cons

I have yet to encounter a concern that hasn't been taken care of.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Tammy and Heather are easy to work with!

Current Employee - Travel Nurse
    Current Employee - Travel Nurse

I have been working at AMN Healthcare full-time

Pros

My recruiters are flexible and willing to work with me. Great communication.

Cons

Unfortunately compensation is only ok.

A place to be complacent.

Current Employee - Associate Vendor Coordinator  in  Del Mar, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Vendor Coordinator in Del Mar, CA

I have been working at AMN Healthcare full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good company for about a year or two, some people stay longer. Management is good and training is usually extensive, although a lot of information doesn't pertain to a lot of job titles. Company values are good and they do try. Cafe downstairs is great with a Starbucks and I think all team members are nice. Good place to learn basics of business.

Cons

The turnover rate for employees is very high. It's very easy to stay complacent. Time off is hard to get because you need to have your accounts covered. Raises and promotions are far and few between, I think they could do better on promoting from within. Quality Services floor is kind of a hard place to work, there is not a lot to motivate you to work except for the pay, which is not very good. They just implemented a merit based system but haven't seen any benefits yet.

Create a more uplifting environment for employees, especially QS where there is little motivation to work hard.

Worst IT Job ever

Former Employee - IT Engineer  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - IT Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at AMN Healthcare full-time for more than a year

Pros

Not much to add here. Worst climate to work in IT ever!

Cons

IT management lacks any tact or ture vision - Its like working for a General Contractor. How long can you hang your hat on "In the old days, I use to go to Steve's house and work on his PC. Thats how I got this job..." The IT Operations folks are dysfunctional.

Good company to start with

I have been working at AMN Healthcare

Pros

training is extensive, name brand recognition in the market place, small company feel with a team first atmosphere, travel and expenses paid by company

Cons

technology and methodology antiquated, clients have been burned by failed searches, rigidity in process and a good number of the recruiters are lazy and work "good searches"...too many layers of management, no company cc for travel

bring technology to 2010...focus less on selling mail and look at other ways to market....revise the fee structure and make the recruiters work to fill searches instead of picking and choosing. I do not think that a 1 / 4 ratio of success is enough to beat your chest about.

Life/Work Balance

I have been working at AMN Healthcare full-time

Pros

AMN supports quality of life as well as building your career. Peer partnerships make it a great place to work!

Cons

At times, slow to strategically respond to staffing needs

Listen to middle management and front line staff members; they know what is happening every day and can give great insight to moving the business forward and remaining relevant and competitive.

I love going to work every day!

Current Employee - Customer Account Manager  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Account Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at AMN Healthcare full-time for less than a year

Pros

Everyone that I work with is hard working, focused, and, just plain nice. My current position is challenging but, being able to resolve issues that directly impact our clinicians lives is extremely rewarding.

Cons

I don't feel I've been with the company long enough to have anything of significance to say.

My on-boarding was flawless. My training was great. Keep up the good work.

A company where you go as a person and a business professional

Current Employee - Recruitment Manager  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Recruitment Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at AMN Healthcare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I am approaching my 3 year mark with AMN Healthcare and could not be happier. I started here right before I turned 23. I have my BS degree and had previous sales and work experience. You walk in and see smiles on everyone's faces. People are genuinely happy working here and you can sense that in the energy and overall atmosphere in the building. We have amazing accommodations including Starbucks and a grill for breakfast and lunch. I have been able to interact with the CEO Susan Salka, who is one of the nicest and most motivating individuals I have ever come across. I have mentors that have helped me develop in to the business professional and person I am today. I really do not know what I would do without them. The company loves to reward us for our hard work and thanks us all throughout the year. I can go on and on about how wonderful this company is because I truly believe they are one of the best corporations and communities out there.

Cons

I chose to live a bit away so traffic can be a bit of a problem but that was a personal decision.

AMN Healthcare Photos

Outside AMN, whose mission is to provide innovative healthcare workforce solutions and staffing services that help our clients, clinicians and physicians deliver excellent, cost effective patient care
Benefits at AMN’s San Diego office include an on-site gym, Starbucks and restaurant. Additionally, AMN offers a total rewards package, including base salary, incentives, benefits and recognition.

+ Add Photo

Worked for AMN Healthcare? Contribute to the Community!