AMN Healthcare

Updated October 23, 2014
3.4

AMN Healthcare President, CEO, and Director Susan R. Salka
Susan R. Salka

Pros
  • AMN is a great place to work because of the people (in 7 reviews)

• Nice cafe and gym for employees (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay compared to other companies (in 8 reviews)

• The burn out is extremely high and as another review mentioned, there's a revolving door the size of Texas (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Experience With AMN!

Current Employee - Travel RN in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Travel RN in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AMN Healthcare as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Amazing Recruiter, she is absolutely the best recruiter we could ever ask for! Best Hospitals in the US! Gets you to the city you want to go to when you want to get there! Prompt communication! My experience with AMN has been fantastic!

Cons

I don't have any issues with AMN.

A Great Group of People Taking Care of You!

Current Employee - Travel Allied Health Professional-Medical Laboratory Scientist

I have been working at AMN Healthcare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked with AMN for four years. I am still very happy with how easy it is to contact everyone if I have any questions or concerns. The high level of professionalism and concern for my satisfaction is unlike anything I have seen with other companies. My recruiter Erin McConnell has worked hard to find me contracts and take care of all of my needs. She is a kind person and I am lucky to be able to work for her.

Cons

I have yet to encounter a concern that hasn't been taken care of.

Exceptional!

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Detroit, MI

I have been working at AMN Healthcare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

My recruiter, Melanie Douglas-Major, and support staff Sarah Beck and Natalie Ritchie (and many others) always so helpful if I had questions or concerns with my current assignment. And many thanks to Ellen Lavin for enduring my tantrums at the end of my last contract. I have been a travel RN for less than a year, but thanks to "my team", I plan on doing it until I retire! Great way to see the country and work at the same time. Always meeting new people and learning new things that wouldn't have been possible if I had continued at my old job.

Cons

If you are new to traveling as a dialysis nurse, make sure you ask how big their program is, how many shifts of patients are expected each day, and how many facilities you will have to go to. My big mistake was going to Dallas as my very first assignment, and the adjustment almost drove me crazy! They had 28 contracts, and I ended up seeing every one of them! Also, everyone thinks travelers make big bucks, and we can (in overtime) but generally speaking we make the same as the full time employees at the facilities, not AMN's fault, the facility decides how much they're willing to pay for the assignment. Also, don't believe other agencies that tell you Obamacare is affordable, because it isn't. And lastly, we don't get paid sick or vacation days; don't miss the sick days because I'm never sick, but vacation between assignments means you have to put money away to cover the week without pay.

It would help if AMN arranged and paid for BLS and ACLS training. Hard to find and schedule the classes. Consider some paid time off after a certain number of assignments as well.

great company to work for!

Former Employee - Sonographer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sonographer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at AMN Healthcare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

they worked diligently to accommodate the facility and myself

Cons

I can't think of any cons

Erin McConnell was an excellent, helpful, accommodating recruiter.

I love going to work every day!

Current Employee - Customer Account Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Account Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at AMN Healthcare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone that I work with is hard working, focused, and, just plain nice. My current position is challenging but, being able to resolve issues that directly impact our clinicians lives is extremely rewarding.

Cons

I don't feel I've been with the company long enough to have anything of significance to say.

My on-boarding was flawless. My training was great. Keep up the good work.

A company where you go as a person and a business professional

Current Employee - Recruitment Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Recruitment Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at AMN Healthcare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I am approaching my 3 year mark with AMN Healthcare and could not be happier. I started here right before I turned 23. I have my BS degree and had previous sales and work experience. You walk in and see smiles on everyone's faces. People are genuinely happy working here and you can sense that in the energy and overall atmosphere in the building. We have amazing accommodations including Starbucks and a grill for breakfast and lunch. I have been able to interact with the CEO Susan Salka, who is one of the nicest and most motivating individuals I have ever come across. I have mentors that have helped me develop in to the business professional and person I am today. I really do not know what I would do without them. The company loves to reward us for our hard work and thanks us all throughout the year. I can go on and on about how wonderful this company is because I truly believe they are one of the best corporations and communities out there.

Cons

I chose to live a bit away so traffic can be a bit of a problem but that was a personal decision.

Great entry-level jobs

Current Employee - Data Imaging Specialist in Del Mar, CA
    Current Employee - Data Imaging Specialist in Del Mar, CA

I have been working at AMN Healthcare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The managers are very friendly and they always ensure your development career wise and ethics wise.

Cons

They are very strict on their ethics: There was a department meeting where the director made a few off-hand comments and someone complained. She ended up having to resigning the next day and it felt like this was too drastic of a reprimand.

Love my job!

Current Employee - Recruiter in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in San Diego, CA

I have been working at AMN Healthcare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexibility, Understanding, Growth, Training and Encouragement.

Cons

Working from home is starting to be looked down on. The option to be able to on occasion would be nice.

I think management is fantastic!! No advice!

Love it!

I have been working at AMN Healthcare full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

culture, people, the industry leader

Cons

getting better but could be more agile.

Wonderfu;

Current Employee - Travel RN in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Travel RN in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at AMN Healthcare as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

They have lots of postings due to their large size, at the same time they have given me personal attention for a late time sheet that was paid on time.

Cons

I at this time have not experienced a downside.

AMN Healthcare Photos

Outside AMN, whose mission is to provide innovative healthcare workforce solutions and staffing services that help our clients, clinicians and physicians deliver excellent, cost effective patient care
Benefits at AMN’s San Diego office include an on-site gym, Starbucks and restaurant. Additionally, AMN offers a total rewards package, including base salary, incentives, benefits and recognition.

+ Add Photo