AMN Healthcare

AMN Healthcare Reviews

Updated Jul 2, 2014

AMN Healthcare President, CEO, and Director Susan R. Salka

Susan R. Salka

Pros:
  • "Nice cafe and gym for employees"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Friendly co-workers, nice location"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Low pay compared to other companies"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Although they appreciate you (as long as you do well) you definitely get a sense of a revolving door with the company"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good in some things not the other

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI really respected my immediate supervisors. They really wanted to help me and they taught me a ton. They really cared about my development and they let me work as often and as hard as i could. They really let me expand and make my own position. They gave me all the technology that i needed to do the job

ConsThe pay for the amount of work you do. They work you way past your pay grade and they only give you merit increases 2-5% if you're lucky. There has been a lot of senior level leadership leaving the company so there isn't any solidity to everyting

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk questions when things happen. Dont' assume that you either have the right or the wrong answer. You can retain a lot of people if you just realized everyone's worth and didn't think that you could always find someone better. You have a lot of changed happening and you need to start to determine who is going to be your ground work and really build them

Love it!

Prosculture, people, the industry leader

Consgetting better but could be more agile.

Life sucking bully infested black hole

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsIf you like coasters and pens for a job well done this is the place. Oh and if annoying cheerleaders are your thing then you will definitely be on the top of the pyramid.

ConsLying is rewarded. Favorites are rewarded despite performance. Star employees are made to be sacrificial lambs when the company is taken to task for a broken system they didn't fix for the client.
    The character and moral compass of recruitment managers is horrific. Political aspirations? This is the place for you then.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice? Yeah Right. They are the main problem.

Flag Review
    AMN Healthcare Chief Talent Officer responded to this review Jul 1, 2014 EditDelete
    I am very sorry to hear about your experience. We hold our entire company to the highest ethical standards and take all feedback seriously. I would like to discuss your experience in more detail and ... More
  • We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lacks diversity and authenticity. Felt that they bring on people who are exactly alike - carbon copies.

Technology (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsGrowing organization with a solid financial health, they make smart financial decisions for the company and their employees. Some departments are better organized than others. Going through growing pains which can be both positive and negative. Made some good friends.

ConsHomogenous environment, very vanilla, lacks true character. If you do not fit the company image you may be removed. Made some good friends but many of them left the organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementBuild employee programs which matter not the standard "out of the box" typical stuff. If you can't pay more on the base salary offer more performance based pay or other incentives to keep people.

Flag Review
    Thank you for your thoughtful feedback. AMN values its team members and strives to regularly improve the overall work experience. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you more about your ... More

Wonderfu;

Travel RN (Current Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsThey have lots of postings due to their large size, at the same time they have given me personal attention for a late time sheet that was paid on time.

ConsI at this time have not experienced a downside.

Great culture!

Prosonsite Starbucks, people are really friendly, beautiful building

Consno bonus, pay is not high

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer bonuses or annual pay advancement

Poor Work / Life Balance

Marketing Support (Former Employee)

ProsBeing employed. Gym on site.

ConsIt was hard to have a life outside of work while here. I worked long hours, and like some of the other reviews stated, did not get paid for many of the hours I put in, but this position seemed like 2 roles mashed up into one so 40 hours+ was required.

The company culture is very corporate, very official and maybe a little too structured and blue-suit like. If you read the official responses to the negative reviews, you can get a feel for how the company speaks, somewhat impersonal and canned.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more people to fill the positions required, try not to mash 2 roles into one.

Want 15 years of experience to do a a 2-year level job

Marketing Position (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsMany of the people on the team were great- diligent workers who really pulled the plow to achieve the impossible. Teams also at least paid verbal recognition on a regular basis to people who exceeded expectations.

ConsBottom-scale pay, and no foreseeable chances to advance by merit, unless a re-organization happens every blue moon or so. Very unrealistic project deadlines, which depended on too many people working hours off the clock to meet expectations. The team is behind the times in industry-standard innovations. Arcane corporate practices (no laptops?) make it hard to be flexible.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement wonders why they can't attract more talent for the roles they need to fill. They should read the cons and then ask themselves, "Who in their right mind would work here?"

Flag Review
    AMN Healthcare Chief Talent Officer responded to this review Jun 5, 2014 EditDelete
    I am sorry to hear you have been unhappy with parts of your AMN experience. AMN truly values its team members and we appreciate your feedback. Currently we do offer a variety of professional ... More

Overall great. Learned much about the healthcare service space. Turned south when assigned a new executive leader.

Vice President (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsAMN had, when I was there for eight years, a small company feel. Everyone pulling together however as in many companies sales rules the day and the prima donnas made life hell for support and operations. That started to change with some new leadership. Most of the great recruiters are gone.

ConsIt's very political. Leaders with poor leadership skills are allowed to continue with few exceptions. The bottom line is the key to being successful at AMN. If you contribute either through selling or reducing costs you are a star. Even these folks can be cast out in favor of the bottom line.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to what is not being said. Employee engagement surveys aren't working as folks lie fearing their boss and their boss's boss will figure out who was negative. From personal experience I can vouch for whole teams lying. Also during the recession people were afraid to lose their jobs so went along to get along...

Wonderful Experience

Phlebotomist (Current Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsGood pay with incentives. Helpful Recruiters and sincere in finding a job for you. You can also get bonuses with other people you refer to the company.

ConsSometime you have to wait 1-3 months in between jobs. Sometimes you have to travel far away from your hometown.

Advice to Senior ManagementWould be so much better if didn't have so much down time in between assignments.

Worked for AMN Healthcare? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at AMN Healthcare reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for AMN Healthcare CEO Susan R. Salka. All 83 reviews posted anonymously by AMN Healthcare employees.