AMN Healthcare

Updated December 9, 2014
3.1

AMN Healthcare President, CEO, and Director Susan R. Salka
Susan R. Salka

Pros
  • AMN is a great place to work because of the people (in 7 reviews)

• Nice cafe and gym for employees (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay compared to other companies (in 9 reviews)

• The burn out is extremely high and as another review mentioned, there's a revolving door the size of Texas (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Horrible customer service, payroll is a mess

Former Employee - Travel Physical Therapist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Travel Physical Therapist in New York, NY

I worked at AMN Healthcare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Travel, somewhat good money if payroll didn't mess up so much

Cons

Horrible company values and leadership. AMN who is part of MedTravelers needs a lesson in customer relations and how to properly do payroll. Many, MANY of my fellow colleagues have complained about AMN and their payroll system. I even know of someone who was told to "use a calculator" when payroll messed up their time card via a "keying error." In the end she ended up owing AMN over $4,000 due to their mistakes (mind you this was from an assignment she had finished almost 8 months ago). The way they treated her and how they went about discussing this with her was not professional at all. This is one of many cons about working here. When you do have a customer support issue (like you will) get ready to be on hold for an hour or two. This is a corporation and their main concern is about the bottom dollar.

Hire new management in payroll, change the way people submit their time sheets to payroll, give all of your "customer service" employees a lesson in customer service. These poor people seem burnt out and or just plain rude. I think more and more people will continue to have issues with payroll. Instead of focusing their energy and the companies money on fixing their mistakes - proper training would be beneficial.

Dec 15, 2014Division Vice Present, Med Travelers

I am very sorry to hear about your experience. Med Travelers truly values our travelers and we strive to provide a positive and customer service-focused experience across every aspect of your ... More

Thanksgiving for No time off!!

Current Employee - Recruiter in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in San Diego, CA

I have been working at AMN Healthcare (more than 3 years)

Pros

The cafe. A parking garage? Crappy management?

Cons

On a day we give thanks, I'd like to give thanks to AMN for no Christmas time off...to a three year tenured employee whose family is 3,000 miles away. Thanks for allowing me to not see my family on Christmas...for a job I can do, and asked to do remotely. And was denied. Thanks guys!

How about you not have employees work holidays. And pay more than $15-$17 an hour

Dec 5, 2014Division President, Travel Nursing

I am sorry to hear that you were unable to get the time off you requested this holiday season and understand your frustration. In order to best support our healthcare professionals who are working ... More

The main problem here is management

Former Employee - Anonymous in San Diego, CA

I worked at AMN Healthcare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Hmm lots of women? easy to make friends.
    Good for entry level position / recent grad's

Cons

Management
    Not a professional environment
    Little room for growth
    Little pay

Need to redirect your focus to your employees. Turn over is so high in many departments- I blame this on management and partially HR. There is not enough QUALITY development happening here. It's also not the most professional environment , employees including management often belittle one another and that's the norm. I once saw a manager flip off an employee (jokingly but who does that)?
    Promotions are based on popularity rather then merit.
    Training is extremely minimal- good luck, you are on your own mentality.

Benefits Coordinator

Current Employee - Benefits Coordinator in Del Mar, CA
    Current Employee - Benefits Coordinator in Del Mar, CA

I have been working at AMN Healthcare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There is room for growth and community service at this company

Cons

The paid is a little low

Consider More diversity in the companies Upper Management.

A nice company

I have been working at AMN Healthcare full-time

Pros

Flexible when needing time off

Cons

Not much room for growth.

Nov 24, 2014Chief Talent Officer

Thank you for your review! Continuous Improvement is one of AMN’s Core Values and we are committed to the personal and professional development of each team member. The Learning & Talent Development ... More

AMN needs some help

Current Employee - Client Accounting Representative in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Client Accounting Representative in San Diego, CA

I have been working at AMN Healthcare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People are nice but fake

Cons

Low Pay; Upper management has absolutely NOOO idea what is going on. Some people drink the koolaid but thats because they are fresh out of college. Its pretty sad how glaring it is. Honestly executives, you guys do nothing that really matters. You are lucky the macro effects of obamacare is helping you

Get a grip. Interview people in accounting and on the front lines. You truly are pathetic.

One of the least "people-friendly" cultures in San Diego

I have been working at AMN Healthcare full-time

Pros

onsite cafe, clean work environment, parking structure

Cons

Highly political, gossipy, back-stabbing, cut-throat leaders who create and encourage an atmosphere of internal competition that overshadows the ability to work collaboratively and in the best interest of the organizational goals. When you have to spend so much energy on playing games, watching your back and wondering who is trying to push you out so they can get ahead or who is going to take your ideas to the top as their own, it creates high stress/anxiety, low trust, a lack of focus on what's really important, underperformance, and no organizational unity. There is a constant churn of people in and out of this organization. In order to succeed at AMN, keep your head down, don't suggest change or confront the status quo - "the way we do it", and work as hard and fast as humanly possible. Hmmm.... sounds like a job ad for a sweat shop.

This fish stinks at the head. My advice would be to the Board ... take a closer look. This is a smoke and mirrors leadership team who paint a pretty picture, smile for the camera, and say all the things that sound good/a twist of the truth, but behind the scenes the real story is very different. You would think HR could help to create a stronger culture of collaboration, but unfortunately, they are a big part of the existing problem.

No communication

Former Employee - Anonymous in San Diego, CA

I worked at AMN Healthcare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They brag about the cafe with Starbucks. None of its free. The purpose is to keep you from leaving the building so you'll work a 12 hour day. Nice places pay for lunches.

Cons

No communication from HR or IT. I had no idea what was going on. Weeks to get answers. High turnover.

increase pay and bonuses to retain staff. Institute progressive discipline, verbal, written, suspension, termination (over a 30 day period). Allow employees to work part time rather then be laid off because of reduction in force. Provide 30 days notice of layoffs and generous severance. Don't terminate at the drop of a hat with no notice.

I.T dept is going downhill!

Former Employee - Helpdesk in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Helpdesk in San Diego, CA

I worked at AMN Healthcare as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Coworkers make the place tolerable, cafe is nice, gym is small but decent, friendly people

Cons

Management is the point of failure, expectation is way too high for what they pay and there is no clear communication between team members

The i.t manager needs to learn basic communication skills with his own team instead kissing a**, high turn over rate

Great Experience With AMN!

Current Employee - Travel RN in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Travel RN in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AMN Healthcare as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Amazing Recruiter, she is absolutely the best recruiter we could ever ask for! Best Hospitals in the US! Gets you to the city you want to go to when you want to get there! Prompt communication! My experience with AMN has been fantastic!

Cons

I don't have any issues with AMN.

AMN Healthcare Photos

Outside AMN, whose mission is to provide innovative healthcare workforce solutions and staffing services that help our clients, clinicians and physicians deliver excellent, cost effective patient care
Benefits at AMN’s San Diego office include an on-site gym, Starbucks and restaurant. Additionally, AMN offers a total rewards package, including base salary, incentives, benefits and recognition.

+ Add Photo