AMN Healthcare

Updated December 9, 2014
3.1

AMN Healthcare President, CEO, and Director Susan R. Salka
Susan R. Salka

Pros
  • AMN is a great place to work because of the people (in 7 reviews)

• Nice cafe and gym for employees (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay compared to other companies (in 9 reviews)

• The burn out is extremely high and as another review mentioned, there's a revolving door the size of Texas (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

One of the least "people-friendly" cultures in San Diego

I have been working at AMN Healthcare full-time

Pros

onsite cafe, clean work environment, parking structure

Cons

Highly political, gossipy, back-stabbing, cut-throat leaders who create and encourage an atmosphere of internal competition that overshadows the ability to work collaboratively and in the best interest of the organizational goals. When you have to spend so much energy on playing games, watching your back and wondering who is trying to push you out so they can get ahead or who is going to take your ideas to the top as their own, it creates high stress/anxiety, low trust, a lack of focus on what's really important, underperformance, and no organizational unity. There is a constant churn of people in and out of this organization. In order to succeed at AMN, keep your head down, don't suggest change or confront the status quo - "the way we do it", and work as hard and fast as humanly possible. Hmmm.... sounds like a job ad for a sweat shop.

This fish stinks at the head. My advice would be to the Board ... take a closer look. This is a smoke and mirrors leadership team who paint a pretty picture, smile for the camera, and say all the things that sound good/a twist of the truth, but behind the scenes the real story is very different. You would think HR could help to create a stronger culture of collaboration, but unfortunately, they are a big part of the existing problem.

Exceptional!

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Detroit, MI

I have been working at AMN Healthcare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

My recruiter, Melanie Douglas-Major, and support staff Sarah Beck and Natalie Ritchie (and many others) always so helpful if I had questions or concerns with my current assignment. And many thanks to Ellen Lavin for enduring my tantrums at the end of my last contract. I have been a travel RN for less than a year, but thanks to "my team", I plan on doing it until I retire! Great way to see the country and work at the same time. Always meeting new people and learning new things that wouldn't have been possible if I had continued at my old job.

Cons

If you are new to traveling as a dialysis nurse, make sure you ask how big their program is, how many shifts of patients are expected each day, and how many facilities you will have to go to. My big mistake was going to Dallas as my very first assignment, and the adjustment almost drove me crazy! They had 28 contracts, and I ended up seeing every one of them! Also, everyone thinks travelers make big bucks, and we can (in overtime) but generally speaking we make the same as the full time employees at the facilities, not AMN's fault, the facility decides how much they're willing to pay for the assignment. Also, don't believe other agencies that tell you Obamacare is affordable, because it isn't. And lastly, we don't get paid sick or vacation days; don't miss the sick days because I'm never sick, but vacation between assignments means you have to put money away to cover the week without pay.

It would help if AMN arranged and paid for BLS and ACLS training. Hard to find and schedule the classes. Consider some paid time off after a certain number of assignments as well.

No communication

Former Employee - Anonymous in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in San Diego, CA

I worked at AMN Healthcare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They brag about the cafe with Starbucks. None of its free. The purpose is to keep you from leaving the building so you'll work a 12 hour day. Nice places pay for lunches.

Cons

No communication from HR or IT. I had no idea what was going on. Weeks to get answers. High turnover.

increase pay and bonuses to retain staff. Institute progressive discipline, verbal, written, suspension, termination (over a 30 day period). Allow employees to work part time rather then be laid off because of reduction in force. Provide 30 days notice of layoffs and generous severance. Don't terminate at the drop of a hat with no notice.

great company to work for!

Former Employee - Sonographer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sonographer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at AMN Healthcare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

they worked diligently to accommodate the facility and myself

Cons

I can't think of any cons

Erin McConnell was an excellent, helpful, accommodating recruiter.

Bureaucratic company with false promises from Leadership and a revolving door the size of Texas.

Former Employee - Corporate Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Corporate Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at AMN Healthcare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

On-site café including a partially subsidized breakfast and lunch menu and Starbucks. Modern office building in central San Diego county. They're always hiring which is a pro to the economy of San Diego and this can also be a temporary place to bring in finances while you're looking to begin a career with a company that offers a dynamic culture. AMN Healthcare should be considered a job or a gig and not to be pursued as a long-term career.

Cons

Cubicle work environment for those not in a Supervisor or Manager position as they are in offices along the 4 walls allowing them to peer into the fishbowl to maximize micromanagement. Lack of autonomy for their employees, very much a seat-checking workplace focused on input rather than output. Their business model for profitability includes transparent communication around paying employees 20-30% less than fair market value for the job performed.

Reevaluate your compensation philosophy to increase employee engagement and retention. Offer employees the flexibility to work independently. Remove "Innovation" from your values and add it to your list of goals for the future.

A place to be complacent.

Current Employee - Associate Vendor Coordinator in Del Mar, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Vendor Coordinator in Del Mar, CA

I have been working at AMN Healthcare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good company for about a year or two, some people stay longer. Management is good and training is usually extensive, although a lot of information doesn't pertain to a lot of job titles. Company values are good and they do try. Cafe downstairs is great with a Starbucks and I think all team members are nice. Good place to learn basics of business.

Cons

The turnover rate for employees is very high. It's very easy to stay complacent. Time off is hard to get because you need to have your accounts covered. Raises and promotions are far and few between, I think they could do better on promoting from within. Quality Services floor is kind of a hard place to work, there is not a lot to motivate you to work except for the pay, which is not very good. They just implemented a merit based system but haven't seen any benefits yet.

Create a more uplifting environment for employees, especially QS where there is little motivation to work hard.

A good place to learn!

Former Employee - Sales in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in San Diego, CA

I worked at AMN Healthcare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I really liked the culture of AMN, people are nice and it's got a strong "team" atmosphere. They are industry leaders and really strong in the medical staffing industry. It's a really good company to learn sales, learn the industry, and get your career going!

Cons

The job itself can get a little redundant, it's the same conversations over and over. If you really like building relationships that will keep it interesting! You have to be ok making a lot of calls.

Keep trying to make employees feel appreciated. Lunches, team events, AMN gear, all those things would help strengthen the culture. Of course making sure the compensation is in line with the industry average will help keep employees happy as well.

AMN Healthcare Response

Nov 10, 2014Chief Talent Officer

Thank you for sharing your experience of working at AMN – I am glad to hear you were happy with the growth opportunities and corporate culture provided. AMN continually strives to offer an ... More

Tammy and Heather are easy to work with!

Current Employee - Travel Nurse
    Current Employee - Travel Nurse

I have been working at AMN Healthcare full-time

Pros

My recruiters are flexible and willing to work with me. Great communication.

Cons

Unfortunately compensation is only ok.

I love going to work every day!

Current Employee - Customer Account Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Account Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at AMN Healthcare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone that I work with is hard working, focused, and, just plain nice. My current position is challenging but, being able to resolve issues that directly impact our clinicians lives is extremely rewarding.

Cons

I don't feel I've been with the company long enough to have anything of significance to say.

My on-boarding was flawless. My training was great. Keep up the good work.

Beware of reviews for this company

I have been working at AMN Healthcare full-time

Pros

I truly can't think of any, this company is unethical and tries to con nurses.

Cons

Beware of any positive reviews you see for this company. All departments were recently put on teams to try and solicit nurses and employees to post "positive reviews" as AMN realized that a lot of their review were negative and that this was influencing nurses wanting to work with them. Employees were told to be very careful who they asked to leave a review and only asked people we were sure would say positive things about AMN . This is unbelievably shady and unethical. We were also told by HR that they were working with companies like Glassdoor and Indeed to get negative reviews taken down.

Instead of being shady and getting fake reviews and putting band aids over the problems and try to fix the real issues within departments.

AMN Healthcare Photos

Outside AMN, whose mission is to provide innovative healthcare workforce solutions and staffing services that help our clients, clinicians and physicians deliver excellent, cost effective patient care
Benefits at AMN’s San Diego office include an on-site gym, Starbucks and restaurant. Additionally, AMN offers a total rewards package, including base salary, incentives, benefits and recognition.

+ Add Photo