AMN Healthcare Reviews

Updated April 13, 2015
140 reviews filtered by

Thanksgiving for No time off!!

Current Employee - Recruiter in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in San Diego, CA

I have been working at AMN Healthcare (more than 3 years)

Pros

The cafe. A parking garage? Crappy management?

Cons

On a day we give thanks, I'd like to give thanks to AMN for no Christmas time off...to a three year tenured employee whose family is 3,000 miles away. Thanks for allowing me to not see my family on Christmas...for a job I can do, and asked to do remotely. And was denied. Thanks guys!

Advice to Management

How about you not have employees work holidays. And pay more than $15-$17 an hour

AMN Healthcare Response

Dec 5, 2014Division President, Travel Nursing

I am sorry to hear that you were unable to get the time off you requested this holiday season and understand your frustration. In order to best support our healthcare professionals who are working ... More

Good times, good people, bad management masquerading like they truly care.

I worked at AMN Healthcare full-time

Pros

If you land with the right team you'll enjoy working here despite the inability of senior management to grasp reality. But eventually it will catch up to you.

Cons

The leadership at this company is so out of touch with what is happening on the ground that they often spend 5x-10x more than they need to, especially in IT, and end up with stuff that barely works frustrating end users and everyone else. The burn out is extremely high and as another review mentioned, there's a revolving door the size of Texas.

Advice to Management

For some, try giving a crap. For others, get a clue.

3. Great Experience With AMN!

Current Contractor - Travel RN in Chicago, IL
    Current Contractor - Travel RN in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AMN Healthcare as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Amazing Recruiter, she is absolutely the best recruiter we could ever ask for! Best Hospitals in the US! Gets you to the city you want to go to when you want to get there! Prompt communication! My experience with AMN has been fantastic!

Cons

I don't have any issues with AMN.

I.T dept is going downhill!

Former Contractor - Helpdesk in San Diego, CA
    Former Contractor - Helpdesk in San Diego, CA

I worked at AMN Healthcare as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers make the place tolerable, cafe is nice, gym is small but decent, friendly people

Cons

Management is the point of failure, expectation is way too high for what they pay and there is no clear communication between team members

Advice to Management

The i.t manager needs to learn basic communication skills with his own team instead kissing a**, high turn over rate

One of the least "people-friendly" cultures in San Diego

I have been working at AMN Healthcare full-time

Pros

onsite cafe, clean work environment, parking structure

Cons

Highly political, gossipy, back-stabbing, cut-throat leaders who create and encourage an atmosphere of internal competition that overshadows the ability to work collaboratively and in the best interest of the organizational goals. When you have to spend so much energy on playing games, watching your back and wondering who is trying to push you out so they can get ahead or who is going to take your ideas to the top as their own, it creates high stress/anxiety, low trust, a lack of focus on what's really important, underperformance, and no organizational unity. There is a constant churn of people in and out of this organization. In order to succeed at AMN, keep your head down, don't suggest change or confront the status quo - "the way we do it", and work as hard and fast as humanly possible. Hmmm.... sounds like a job ad for a sweat shop.

Advice to Management

This fish stinks at the head. My advice would be to the Board ... take a closer look. This is a smoke and mirrors leadership team who paint a pretty picture, smile for the camera, and say all the things that sound good/a twist of the truth, but behind the scenes the real story is very different. You would think HR could help to create a stronger culture of collaboration, but unfortunately, they are a big part of the existing problem.

No communication

Former Employee - Anonymous in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in San Diego, CA

I worked at AMN Healthcare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They brag about the cafe with Starbucks. None of its free. The purpose is to keep you from leaving the building so you'll work a 12 hour day. Nice places pay for lunches.

Cons

No communication from HR or IT. I had no idea what was going on. Weeks to get answers. High turnover.

Advice to Management

increase pay and bonuses to retain staff. Institute progressive discipline, verbal, written, suspension, termination (over a 30 day period). Allow employees to work part time rather then be laid off because of reduction in force. Provide 30 days notice of layoffs and generous severance. Don't terminate at the drop of a hat with no notice.

A Great Group of People Taking Care of You!

Current Employee - Travel Allied Health Professional-Medical Laboratory Scientist

I have been working at AMN Healthcare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked with AMN for four years. I am still very happy with how easy it is to contact everyone if I have any questions or concerns. The high level of professionalism and concern for my satisfaction is unlike anything I have seen with other companies. My recruiter Erin McConnell has worked hard to find me contracts and take care of all of my needs. She is a kind person and I am lucky to be able to work for her.

Cons

I have yet to encounter a concern that hasn't been taken care of.

A good place to learn!

Former Employee - Sales in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in San Diego, CA

I worked at AMN Healthcare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I really liked the culture of AMN, people are nice and it's got a strong "team" atmosphere. They are industry leaders and really strong in the medical staffing industry. It's a really good company to learn sales, learn the industry, and get your career going!

Cons

The job itself can get a little redundant, it's the same conversations over and over. If you really like building relationships that will keep it interesting! You have to be ok making a lot of calls.

Advice to Management

Keep trying to make employees feel appreciated. Lunches, team events, AMN gear, all those things would help strengthen the culture. Of course making sure the compensation is in line with the industry average will help keep employees happy as well.

AMN Healthcare Response

Nov 10, 2014Chief Talent Officer

Thank you for sharing your experience of working at AMN – I am glad to hear you were happy with the growth opportunities and corporate culture provided. AMN continually strives to offer an ... More

Bureaucratic company with false promises from Leadership and a revolving door the size of Texas.

Former Employee - Corporate Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Corporate Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at AMN Healthcare full-time (less than a year)

Pros

On-site café including a partially subsidized breakfast and lunch menu and Starbucks. Modern office building in central San Diego county. They're always hiring which is a pro to the economy of San Diego and this can also be a temporary place to bring in finances while you're looking to begin a career with a company that offers a dynamic culture. AMN Healthcare should be considered a job or a gig and not to be pursued as a long-term career.

Cons

Cubicle work environment for those not in a Supervisor or Manager position as they are in offices along the 4 walls allowing them to peer into the fishbowl to maximize micromanagement. Lack of autonomy for their employees, very much a seat-checking workplace focused on input rather than output. Their business model for profitability includes transparent communication around paying employees 20-30% less than fair market value for the job performed.

Advice to Management

Reevaluate your compensation philosophy to increase employee engagement and retention. Offer employees the flexibility to work independently. Remove "Innovation" from your values and add it to your list of goals for the future.

Exceptional!

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Detroit, MI

I have been working at AMN Healthcare full-time (less than a year)

Pros

My recruiter, Melanie Douglas-Major, and support staff Sarah Beck and Natalie Ritchie (and many others) always so helpful if I had questions or concerns with my current assignment. And many thanks to Ellen Lavin for enduring my tantrums at the end of my last contract. I have been a travel RN for less than a year, but thanks to "my team", I plan on doing it until I retire! Great way to see the country and work at the same time. Always meeting new people and learning new things that wouldn't have been possible if I had continued at my old job.

Cons

If you are new to traveling as a dialysis nurse, make sure you ask how big their program is, how many shifts of patients are expected each day, and how many facilities you will have to go to. My big mistake was going to Dallas as my very first assignment, and the adjustment almost drove me crazy! They had 28 contracts, and I ended up seeing every one of them! Also, everyone thinks travelers make big bucks, and we can (in overtime) but generally speaking we make the same as the full time employees at the facilities, not AMN's fault, the facility decides how much they're willing to pay for the assignment. Also, don't believe other agencies that tell you Obamacare is affordable, because it isn't. And lastly, we don't get paid sick or vacation days; don't miss the sick days because I'm never sick, but vacation between assignments means you have to put money away to cover the week without pay.

Advice to Management

It would help if AMN arranged and paid for BLS and ACLS training. Hard to find and schedule the classes. Consider some paid time off after a certain number of assignments as well.

AMN Healthcare Photos

Outside AMN, whose mission is to provide innovative healthcare workforce solutions and staffing services that help our clients, clinicians and physicians deliver excellent, cost effective patient care
Benefits at AMN’s San Diego office include an on-site gym, Starbucks and restaurant. Additionally, AMN offers a total rewards package, including base salary, incentives, benefits and recognition.

+ Add Photo