AMN Healthcare

Updated August 13, 2014

3.5

AMN Healthcare President, CEO, and Director Susan R. Salka
Susan R. Salka

Pros
  • Nice cafe and gym for employees (in 4 reviews)

• Friendly co-workers, nice location (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay compared to other companies (in 8 reviews)

• Low pay and unrealistic expectations for sales goals (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

I have never felt so welcome in my life.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Pros

I am a very new employee, but I can read a company pretty quickly.
    My first day, I was greeted by the director of my department, along with other management, holding a giant welcome sign in the lobby. Followed by Starbucks, meet and greets with near everyone, a big signed poster on my wall and a gift basket complete with card.
    They scheduled and paid for a department lunch on my behalf, and followed that up with daily lunches with different executives.
    I have never had a company do half as much.

The director has consistently asked how things are going and re-affirmed how happy they are to have me.

Co-Workers are all long term employees. The people complaining before about turnover must be speaking about sales alone, because my department is seasoned. Everyone is friendly, welcoming and working hard to make you feel a part of the team.

Facility is beautiful, amenities out the you know what.

Gym, subsidized Starbucks (2$!), security.

Pay is comparable, if not better in this economy. SoCal was hit hard and I was seeing the same position listed for half the compensation.

4/10 Schedule is fantastic. Alternating Thursday/Friday off.

Cons

(This is where people complained about unrealistic expectations)
    You are told from the beginning that you will be held to a high standard, if your aren't prepared to work your ___ off, then why accept the job?? Half ass it somewhere else.

The software is laughable. What should be a one step process, is dragged through SIX different programs. I am told this is soon to transition though.

Very old school. I've held higher positions in just as "corporate" environments, where tattoos were allowed, if you followed business professional dress code. I was warned that even the smallest tattoo is to be covered with a band-aid. Needless to say, I'll be wearing long sleeves until the CEO is gone.

I suppose to focus less on trivial things, like tattoos and shoes.
    And more on implementing new technology that will at the very least, triple your productivity. Having 6 programs open at once to finish one task is just laughable.

Great company if you like to work hard and play hard

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Pros

Top performers get paid very well at AMN, great co-workers, willling to train and develop you particularly in sales and recruiting, they are beginning to embrace the importance of technology, theres a great on site gym, a Starbucks, cafeteria, covered parking, business casual, great holiday parties and events

Cons

Not for those that just want a check without putting in the effort, management can be a little dated and conservative

Great Company!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

Pros

AMN has new IT leadership that are very forward thinking in their approach. The entire team will have skills more valuable the IT industry in a couple years than they would have with prior leadership. It's a company that believes in promoting from within. Woman really have an opportunity to move into VP positions and higher. The average tenure for team members is much higher than any other company I've worked for.

Cons

I'm not sure if it's the industry or AMN itself or both but they are very sensitive to the economy and market. If sales are down no one will receive merit increases.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great experience overall

Current Employee - Travel Nurse Recruiter  in  Huntersville, NC
    Current Employee - Travel Nurse Recruiter in Huntersville, NC

Pros

Most money I ever made.

Cons

This job was stressful beyond belief.

Summer Worker review

Former Employee - Summer Worker  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Summer Worker in San Diego, CA

Pros

Great culture and friendly people

Cons

Job was not what I had expected--lots of scanning (worked in DIS). If accepted to summer worker program, ask for any other department.

give summer workers more exciting projects

Stressful, Turn over very high! Military style training program, EXTREMELY unorganized !!

Former Employee - Recruiter  in  Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Irving, TX

Pros

*Gym on location
    * Centrally located to area

Cons

* LOW pay
    * Poor Management
    * VERY Unorganized
    * HIGH HIGH turnover
    * Sweat shop they set your goals for 100 calls / day you hit that then they tell you It isn't good enough!
    * KPI 's are unreasonable for new employees
    * No communication
    * Back is always against the wall.

Morals- Get some!

PTA traveler experience, don't fall for the sales pitch!

Current Employee - PTA
    Current Employee - PTA

Pros

Overall nice housing other than one with a major bug problem that the company did nothing to correct. Good communication from recruiters. Many different department to assist with various issues...paychecks, licensing, housing, and they all get the issues resolved and maintain good communication. Healthcare from day one, about $20 per week. Nice travel allowance. All problems that I have had in the past year have been addressed and resolved to my satisfaction.

Cons

False promises, if you sign on with this company get everything they promise you in writing! Over the year I have been a traveling therapist with this company my pay has decreased with each assignment and promised reimbursement for continuing education and licenses has fallen short. Watch what they put in your contracts! Mine said that I declined ending travel, when in fact this was not even discussed with my recruiter. No bonus for loyalty to the company. No paid sick days. You have to pay if you don't work a 40 hour work week because you need a day off...not just miss out on your hourly pay (which would only be fair), but PAY for each hour that you don't work. No bonuses or incentives for completing assignments/multiple assignments/staying with the company such as a paid week of vacation. Within the past year there were 7 weeks that I did not have an assignment when I wanted to be working, and I have licenses in multiple states. Pay package never provided until you accept a job and see it in the contract (many times after the job has already started).

Keep in mind that travelers meet and talk to other travelers at the job site. We know about other travelers experiences at other companies, and we also share our experiences with anyone who asks. Sometimes managers at the job sites tell us how much our contract is worth and we know how much we are actually getting paid, so give your recruiters some leeway to pay for our required continuing education classes and state licenses (which make us more marketable). We know you are are making tens of thousands of dollars off of us over a year, so it irks us if you don't let them pay for our $300 continuing education class.

Overall decent company, management lacking

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Pros

- Awesome location and building
    - Offers onsite gym and cafe (although gym equipment is rather old and the cafe is overpriced; even with your AMN discount)
    - Business casual environment
    - Most employees are very friendly
    - Offers workshops and company activities

Cons

- Leadership is lacking (my experience, the blind leading the blind)
    - Management in my department had little understanding of what each individual actually did
    - I didn't receive the best training

- If a department manager has contact with the public they should have some sort of health background.

Fun but a little "corporate-y"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Pros

Cool culture. Exciting things happening. Technology within the organization is improving.

Cons

Management is pretty "stuffy" and old-fashioned. The culture is VERY corporate. They are about 10-15 years behind the Google-esque age of corporate cultures.

Step into the now.

Traveling Physical Therapist Review

Former Employee - Travel Physical Therapist  in  Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Travel Physical Therapist in Orlando, FL

Pros

MedTravellers/Platinum Select have many opportunities around the country in all types of settings. My recruiter replies to me quickly with my concerns/questions. They are willing to work with the companies and with you to get the rate I desire or at least close to it. They also give you the support you need, when there is any conflict with the assignment you are working on.

Cons

They don't have all the contacts in that particular city, that some other travel companies might have.

Maintain communication with therapists that you have worked with in the past, with personalized emails or phone calls.

Worked for AMN Healthcare? Contribute to the Community!