AMP Agency

Gary Colen

Great internship experience

Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at AMP Agency as an intern for less than a year

ProsEveryone treats you like you've been there forever from the second you walk in the door, very friendly staff always willing to help and definitely wants to get to know you and your goals, understanding if you are overwhelmed or need help with something

Conssometimes a little disorganized and you won't be super busy everyday. also the other interns might slack off and make you look bad

Advice to Senior ManagementMore in depth interview! make sure all interns are at the same level and will be able to handle the work

Intern

Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at AMP Agency as an intern

ProsFun atmosphere with interesting people. My supervisor did try hard with giving me projects, but usually they were too busy with their own things to give me a good project.

ConsThey seemed to take awhile to release a product. Also, I was not needed at all and whatever work they gave me was more so busy work just to keep me occupied.

Advice to Senior ManagementReally interview interns well and understand their capabilities coming in so you can give them meaningful projects

Intern

I worked at AMP Agency as an intern for less than a year

ProsBoss tried really hard to teach the ins and outs of media
Willing to sit with me and go over any issues I had on a project

ConsIntern not needed enough
Hard to keep them on a project when not full time

Advice to Senior ManagementLet your intern supervisors know, that the interns WANT to help, don't just brush them off.

Fast-paced, young, up-and-comer.

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at AMP Agency full-time for more than 5 years

ProsYou always hear about "the people making the workplace" and this is extremely true at AMP. Hard-working, enjoyable, friendly and smart-as-hell group of marketing professionals that make you look forward to working with each day.

ConsOne of the unfortunate things with AMP is that most people don't know about them, or have a preconceived notion for what AMP is all about.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent with the vision and future of the agency.

Growing mid-sized agency in the heart of Boston with exceptional talent and challenging fast-paced work environment

I worked at AMP Agency full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAmp is a growing mid-sized agency in the heart of Boston with exceptional talent and a fast-paced, challenging work environment. The leadership team is a dedicated, experienced group of traditional and digital marketing executives that are committed to delivering premium high-quality advertising programs to a diverse roster of clients.

Without question, one of the premier aspects of Amp is the people. From the CEO to the interns, everyone in the agency embraces a vibrant culture that fosters creativity and intellectual curiosity. Whether it's a spontaneous video shoot of the Harlem Shake or a creative brainstorm for the latest client project, everyone at Amp is focused and dedicated to delivering the highest quality advertising campaigns.

Senior management is committed to ensuring the long term success of the agency and at times has been forced to make difficult decisions. But unlike some companies that I've been a part of, this management team has always acted at the appropriate time, with the appropriate action despite the popularity of the decision.

ConsAmp has grown quickly over the past several years via acquisition and there have been growing pains along the way. Scaling appropriately to meet the needs of larger programs has been an issue requiring existing staff to be stretched to capacity at times.

As with any agency, work/life balance can be tough at times, but the agency does recognize when this occurs and works with the staff to provide additional benefits when appropriate.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to focus on growing the business in a controlled manner that will allow your teams to scale and staff programs appropriately while maintaining the highest quality work.

Great for Gaining Experience

Assistant Account Manager (Former Employee)
Boston, MA

I worked at AMP Agency full-time for more than a year

ProsThe people are friendly, inclusive and supportive. Clients are diverse and programs offer opportunities for collaboration internally and externally. Free Thursday lunches are great, and many employees choose to spend free time together outside of the office.

ConsIt can be easy to get overworked and certain roles pose more challenges for work-life balance. Senior management can seem distant at times & doesn't always communicate effectively. Clients aren't always the most fascinating and accounts are heavily "project-based" rather than fostering a lasting relationship. More work at the agency tends to lean towards improving the bottom line vs. effectively partnering with clients to achieve mutual success.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate vision to employees more frequently and promote a more positive work-life balance.

Dynamic people; disappointing clients.

Copywriter (Current Employee)

I have been working at AMP Agency full-time for more than a year

ProsThe people are smart, driven, capable; a friendly, fun group.

ConsThe clients -mostly project based- are lightweight and/or irrelevant. So a lot of good work gets dumbed down.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet in front of clients who want good creative.

Creative, forward-thinking and fun

Web Developer (Current Employee)

I have been working at AMP Agency full-time for more than a year

ProsVery laid back work environment. Friendly co-workers. Notable clients. Innovative campaigns. I look forward to coming to work every day.

ConsThe company needs to scale faster to handle the increased work load. You're also right in the heart of Boston so the commute can be tough.

A great place to work! Fun and challenging.

Brand Strategy (Current Employee)
Boston, MA

I have been working at AMP Agency full-time for less than a year

ProsThe work-life balance is drastically better than anywhere else I've worked. We get half day Fridays in the summer! We are encouraged to put our health and families first. I've never been expected to answer calls, e-mails, or do work after-hours or on weekends. We are encouraged to express ourselves, pursue our interests, and dress as we would like.

AMP consists of a wonderfully intelligent, motivated, and hardworking group of people. Since starting I've found that the atmosphere is fun, and everyone is supportive of one another. AMP is the kind of job that you want to come to in the morning.

ConsThe workload can be challenging, but isn't that a good thing?

Most of the employees are young, but are passionate and innovative.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing!

Can't say I'd ever recommend working here - you can meet the good people and networking

I worked at AMP Agency full-time

ProsGreat mid-senior level to junior level staff and coworkers - friendly, helpful, creative, hard-working

Teams know how to have fun behind closed doors in brainstorms and planning sessions

Creativity of the junior staff

Caliber of clients is great - lots of well-known brands, though most are project work and not retainer work

ConsPoor senior management team only interested in making profit and "owning" something at the agency - unqualified people have been promoted to oversee groups that they know nothing about, but because they're friends with the CEO, they are allowed to wonder around and do nothing instead of contributing to the teams they manage. The people who have come in and are experts in the fields they are managing are always pushed out the door within a few years.

Junior staff live in fear of being fired for disagreeing with the CEO or someone in senior management

Poor career paths and staff development plans - reviews are a joke and are not tied to facts and actual performance - they are often the place where grudges are brought up for the first time

Poor work/life balance like most agencies

Rewards for performance consist of buying beers for the office on a weekday afternoon

No teambuilding, no strategy (other than making money) and no long-term vision

The so-called marketing team is a joke - none of them are marketers, but believe they are experts - this is why no one in Boston has ever heard of AMP

Lots of promises made during interviews that are never kept once you come on board - they low-ball salaries with the promise of a raise if you perform, but the raise never comes. Whatever you do, get *everything* in writing and signed by someone who has authority if you ever expect it to happen.

If you do get promoted, you'll get a title bump but no salary or a $1K raise.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have no focus on quality or employee retention and morale - sales and making the numbers are more important than employees and customers in every single scenario. Several long-term and/or high-value employees have left in the past year and expect that trend to continue if something is not done to fix the inept leadership team lacking experience in the disciplines they are appointed to manage.

Worked for AMP Agency? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at AMP Agency reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for AMP Agency CEO Gary Colen. All 13 reviews posted anonymously by AMP Agency employees.