AMP Limited

AMP Limited Chief Executive Officer and Managing Director Craig Meller

Craig Meller

Great

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt's a great company to work for, they believe in all the right things. The benefits are great and they are really flexible with adding family memebers.

ConsThe training is rough and the hours are long. It is hard to have a family and also work here.

Very friendly.

ProsHelpful colleagues, good work-life balance.

ConsInefficiency associated with large companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementAmbitious

There were good times, however the glory days are over...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat culture. You got to work with some folks that know their stuff. Before the IT contractor (and now permanent) cull, projects were flourishing and there was a lot of work about. Always celebrated project success, which was nice.

ConsYou had to work hard, and sometimes long hours. There were many that seemed to get away with doing the absolute minimum. It's was heavy on your calendar for meeting invites, but that also had a lot to do with the role / project you were involved in. Head of Technology tended to take a lot of credit for the hard work of their subordinates, and used it for their own progression.

Advice to Senior ManagementActively share the credit of success with the wider team, rather than just saying it once a month at team drinks.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Horizons Academy Employees are in a bad situation

Financial Advisor (Former Employee)

ProsGood coffee machine and nicely designed work environment in most buildings. Middle management is reasonable, motivating, and pretty good in day to day interactions. Seriously excellent employee training - the best I've ever had. On the surface, it's a great company to work for with a lot of motivation, strong team bonds, etc.

ConsThe Horizons Academy program contract places employees in a dangerous situation, so be smart; there are safer ways to get into Financial Planning. There is a lot of hype around the program, so beware and be skeptical. The program has a low overall success rate from recruitment to placement, so don't back yourself out of optimism alone. Firstly, you won't know what the job is like until you're on the floor doing it, and the contract only allows you to pull out long before you actually get on the floor - forget work-life balance or even compensation for most work-related expenses. Secondly, the opportunities at the end of the tunnel are, objectively for the average Horizons Academy graduate, nowhere near as awesome as you will be led to believe during the training process. Peers who successfully got contracts were generally dissatisfied with what they were able to negotiate. Finally, the contract has a clause about paying back training costs if it doesn't work out. Many of us felt trapped in the job with significant financial penalties for leaving. Also, just in case anyone brushes that clause off telling you that AMP won't go after you if you leave - AMP has gone after multiple people who left the Horizons program for training costs, even when those people left Financial Planning, and in one instance I heard about, even when they didn't choose to leave the program, but were fired by AMP.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn general, AMP recruited some people into these roles, the middle management is sound. You do psychometric testing to see if we'll right for the job... so I find it hard to believe that so many of us are failures unless the problem lies largely within the structure of the program itself and AMP's behavior towards these recruits.

Company review

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people interesting work good training and development programmes

ConsLarge org can be burdened with red tape, too Sydney centric

Wonderful 3 years at AMP until AXA integration negatively changed the culture and values of the business.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBonuses if you are in sales team

ConsBad Culture
    Formal complaint process is a joke.
    Consistent restructures.
    1% pay rises.

Advice to Senior Managementreconsider business strategy and who you hire as leaders. terrible working environment.
    Staff retention low
    Reputation going downhill.
    Take formal staff complaints seriously.
    Stop hr protecting managers and acknowledge issues.
    Stop being bullies

Nice location, very corporate centric.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Sydney (Australia)

ProsThey are not blind to employee benefits and every now and then there are outings and informal gatherings.

ConsStill heavy in office politics but where is there none of this?

Advice to Senior ManagementThe dynamics of the office culture is changing rapidly- if you dont look to innovate, you will be swamped and be swept into a change against your will.

A great place to work as a BA contractor

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Melbourne (Australia)

ProsGood rates, mostly very professional people with a lot of experience and knowledge, good company culture, flexible hours and ability to work from home if necessary. People mostly positive and helpful though there are exceptions as everywhere. In general, a great company to work for. It's a pity they move IT to Sydney.
    Great community events, seminars for employees, etc.

ConsHuge business, complex matrix of products and stakeholders, spread across multiple offices/cities that make it harder to communicate, some IT teams/ people are overloaded with multiple projects

Advice to Senior ManagementLeave some IT support and projects in Melbourne as platforms business units are still there and it make it easier to support them with IT people in the same office/city

Good culture, forward looking

ProsLeading Australian insurer and wealth manager, with massive potential, large customer base to tap into to ensure long term growth and success

ConsChallenges in the direct life insurance industry at the moment mean constant change in regulation, practices, and scrutiny of the actuary's role

Business Systems Analyst

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Melbourne (Australia)

ProsThe people I work with are great. My direct manager has been supportive and reasonable. The Melbourne Office is new, with great access to trains and trams.

ConsAs a Melbourne employee, they have removed many of our benefits, including reducing the retrenchment package and taking away yearly train tickets. Sydney staff have not had a similar reduction in benefits - it is specifically targeted at Melbourne. They have a gym and other benefits.
    The AMP processes and procedures for project delivery are atrocious. It surprises me that projects implement - they do so by reducing scope, and implementing with unreasonable manual processes. Yet management pat themselves on the back for delivery, even though most of the money spent was wasted.
    Permanent staff are not highly regarded. There is a view that contractors are much better, even if they antagonise and demean permenents.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf a contractor is not doing their job - get rid of them.
    Permanents have knowledge that
    Get out of the analysis paralysis.
    Get the right people in a room to make a decision, rather than having projects meet individually and going back and forth reversing decisions multipel times. If you do this, you might actually implement a project with full scope.

Worked for AMP Limited? Contribute to the Community!