AMRI

Be The First To
Add Photos

Not yet rated.

William S. Marth

Pros:
  • "There are some really good people here, but they get overshadowed by company culture as a whole"
    in 5 reviews
  • "He is a sound businessman, unlike his predecessor who was a mere hard working scientist at best"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Low salary and long hours causes a high turnaround for this organization"
    in 7 reviews
  • "No concept of work/life balance, your life needs to revolve around your job"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Long Hours

Senior Research Scientist (Current Employee)
    Syracuse, NY

ProsBreadth of projects
    Large capital budget for equipment purchases
    Young staff, motivated and hard working
    Senior management has science background
    Decent salaries

ConsLong hours, required 50+ hours per week for a 40 hour paycheck
    Lots of politics, people let go easily even if they are competent

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a lack of work/home balance. It was apparent that you needed to be there more than 50 hours per week in order to get a good review.

Run away.

Albany, NY

ProsThe products that AMRI works on helps to better people's lives. Benefits are good, but if you try to use the generous leave policy, they hold it against you.

ConsHR lies about salaries and bonuses. I am making much less than I was told because they have yet to pay me a bonus even though I have exceed all the performance measures. There are many layers of bosses that have to approve your work. Too many bosses are best friends with the people they manage. I have been work 80 hours a week (including weekends), because I got assigned all the work from a laid off coworker, while my other co-worker leaves 15 minutes early, calls in sick on nice days, and works no overtime. She is best friends with the boss. I just got reprimanded because the department did not meet a key deadline, and yet all my work was done on time. The reason? I should have taken on more of the boss' and co-worker's work since they are obviously so overwhelmed with the layoffs. Looking for another job so I can get me life back.

Advice to Senior ManagementMultiple levels of hierarchy for a company in an environment that is rapidly changing means that Senior Management needs to take a refresher course about structuring a company to best be able to compete in its environment. Too many bosses means approvals that need to take less than a day, can take weeks. Trust your employees.

AMRI not recommended

Rensselaer, NY

ProsThe most positive reason to work at AMRI is that the products made at AMRI positively affect lives. You can feel good about the impact of your work.

ConsManagement is terrible at AMRI. They do not care about the morale of the employees. They do not reward employees for good work.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey know what they are doing. The strategy seems to be to create a difficult work environment for the employees.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

AMRI provides good experience to beginning chemists, but little career advancement opportunities

Research Scientist I (Former Employee)
    Albany, NY

ProsThe company offered a very impressive benefits package, with very good dental and vision coverage, along with some of the most generous 401(k) matching I have seen.
    AMRI offered an excellent opportunity to learn scientific skills at the entry level, because of fast-paced work environment and the variety of projects and work to be done. The company offers scientists the opportunity to work abroad on short-term assignments at their overseas sites.

ConsVolatile business and tightening of belts across the pharmaceutical industry have contributed to a tense atmosphere at AMRI. I routinely worked more than 55 hours a week under aggressive project deadlines. While I had great relationships with my project team and direct supervisor, middle management often seemed distracted by non-essential initiatives and seemed out of touch with project goals and timelines.

Advice to Senior ManagementMiddle management should be given clear jurisdiction over individual projects. Too many bosses debating priorities and timelines slows down the work toward project goals.

review

Senior Research Scientist II (Current Employee)
    Albany, NY

Prosit was very challenging to work there because of all of the various projects and companies we worked with and learned a lot from interacting with many peers.

ConsSome managers don't have a grip and only count number of hours worked and don't realize that people have families and a life outside of work. Some of the worst managers left, but there is a "do more" culture and expectations reached unrealistic heights.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue the employees because they bring home the bacon. Give some slack for strong performers and ease up on the demands because people can get burnt out. Happy employees work hard and enjoy their private lives as well.

Go there if you dont have other choices

Senior Research Scientist (Former Employee)
    Albany, NY

Pros- Albany is a nice area to live - quite but very pretty surroundings.
    -- Meet some really smart, qualified people.

Cons- Too much politics.
    - Lot of colleagues were laid off mid - level scientists due to downsizing in other chemical/ pharma companies.
    - Only one goal - please the customer.
    - Long working hours. Min. work week 60hr. More if you want to progress.

Advice to Senior Management- Create a more amenable working environment for scientists and promote better cultural environment.
    - allocate some resources towards key inhouse projects to diversify along with contract research work.

Worth It..Very supportive people.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery good work ethics,proactive people and well cultured

ConsJust a lot of calls and hectic due to being offshore

Great place to work for

ProsChallenge in daily synthetic chemistry

Conssalary need to be improved

Learning curve

Research Scientist (Former Employee)
    Singapore (Singapore)

ProsGood company for intensive bench work. Especially helpfully for fresh graduates who need to gain lab experience.

ConsLike a factory worker...the amount of productive is based on the quantity rather than the quality of work.

Good learning exp. and starting my career

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood working conditions and facilities

ConsVery less pay and too much pressure
    No growth and senior management has to improve

Worked for AMRI? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at AMRI reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for AMRI CEO William S. Marth. All 59 reviews posted anonymously by AMRI employees.