AMRI Reviews

Updated October 4, 2014
Updated October 4, 2014
2.8

William S. Marth

Pros
  • There are some really good people here, but they get overshadowed by company culture as a whole (in 5 reviews)

• My work environment specifically is great but almost everywhere else in the company seems to be pretty bad (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, lower pay (by about 20%) than other companies (in 8 reviews)

• Lots of politics in compensation and job rating (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Have been with AMRI for more than 6 years.

Current Employee - Senior Research Scientist I in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Research Scientist I in Albany, NY

I have been working at AMRI full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Constant challenge working environment. You learn a lot in the work. Good colleagues.

Cons

Very bad management team. No training and no future. Low pay.

Give people hope for promotion and/or pay raise. More training for employees.

Treats analytical scientists with disdain and contempt

Former Employee - Research Scientist III in Rensselaer, NY
    Former Employee - Research Scientist III in Rensselaer, NY

I worked at AMRI full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Exposure to instrumentation, exposure to production support.

Cons

Apalling training program, blatant disregard/disinterest in scientific advancement, rife violations of employment discrimination laws, disproportionately low wages,

Leave.

Get the experience and LEAVE

Current Employee - Research Scientist in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Research Scientist in Albany, NY

I have been working at AMRI full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Good people (some more than others).
    - They took me in during this bad economy and offered me good work experience.
    - ... nope, I got nothing else..

Cons

- Low pay.
    - Depressing setting. Honestly, this is really a bummer because everyone knows how shitty the company is to give a crap.
    - HR sucks. Big time. They don't listen, I am starting to wonder what they actually do...
    - No raises. I received some chuckles and laughter when I even mentioned the word.
    - No opportunities for growth.
    - Long hours (Being salaried sounds nice but when you are worked like a dog then that amount only seems so meager).
    - Low pay.

- I have no advice. I am extremely sorry but you have disappointed me AMRI. I really feel bad writing this because I don't like to talk bad about anyone/thing but you have really let me down. My advice for people wanting to come to Albany, please think long and hard. The capital district is in terrible shape. The atmosphere of Albany is quite dank and the company is equally bad if not worse. You would have a bad working life and not look forward to do anything outside of work either. But if you have friends and family here and need the money and don't care about getting raises, job security, being treated like scum, then this company will welcome you with their greedy hands. I'm done.

International company, local family feel

Current Employee - IT Business Analyst in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - IT Business Analyst in Albany, NY

I have been working at AMRI full-time (more than an year)

Pros

AMRI is consistently increasing their domestic and international service offerings. As an established CRO, AMRI works with several large pharma and other industry partners. Department cross-training and seminars introduce employees to the workings of all departments.

Cons

Low salary and long hours causes a high turnaround for this organization. There is a disconnect between "corportate" and "plant" employees causing power struggles during internal projects. Many key departments are resource strapped causing significant bottlenecks and difficulty to complete IT projects on time.

Do not consistently operate on the lower end of the industry salary structure. You lose good people when they feel undervalued. More buy-in and support is needed from upper management to drive project completion. Employees should embrace process changes when implementing new software, rather than customizing software to meet "the way we do business".

A company on life support

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY

I have been working at AMRI full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Probably one of the only pros that I can mention is working with my fellow colleagues over the past few years. It has been a great experience and the vast majority are fun to be around and work with.

Cons

I feel bad for anyone who gets bamboozled into accepting a position at AMRI. Take it from someone that has been with the company for a number of years, the place is on life support. The labs are empty, the Captain has jumped ship and and it's taking on water like the Titanic. The few "old timers" that are left making large salaries will be removed from power very soon when the new chief takes over. Benefits are becoming less and less by the day and raises are non existent anymore. AMRI management expects you to be married to the company and have no personal or family life. If you are sick or need to take a day off for a medical procedure or something you had better get use to taking vacation time. AMRI has a policy of unlimited personal time as long as it is not abused. What they fail to mention is when you use more than a day, you get scolded by HR and direct management, written up or a combo of both. If your idea of benefits is a ping pong table and a busted up Foosball table in the middle of the cafe, well this might be your place. NEVER any praise whatsoever. You do very well, you "meet expectations". You screw up once and it's the end of the world.

Like a previous worker wrote, management wouldn't listen to any advice anyways. If you dare open your mouth I guarantee you will have a bulls eye on your back and be tossed out like yesterdays diapers.

Good

Former Employee - Lab in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Lab in New York, NY

I worked at AMRI full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefit package and good people

Cons

Limited career grow .
    Resignation is frequent

Good place to learn, not that great long term

I have been working at AMRI

Pros

many opportunities to experience a variety of different types of chemistry, variety of scales, and techniques.

Cons

poor work/life balance, under appreciated, little or no compensation for long hours.

Appreciate your employees

Avoid

Former Employee - Research Scientist in Albany, NY
    Former Employee - Research Scientist in Albany, NY

I worked at AMRI full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Some like it here, maybe it will be you. There are some really good people here, but they get overshadowed by company culture as a whole.

Cons

Fear, greed and appeals to professionalism are used as a motivators. Best described as a sweetshop - no matter how many hours you work they want more (often just wanting employees at work even if they have finished their work for the day - this speaks more of a desire to control people then for productivity). Lots of politics.

Listen to your employees. Fearful and stressed employees don't bring their A-game to work. Focus on what is best for the company as a whole and not on what you see as best for you. Avoid pet projects and reduce the politics.

Stimulating, fulfilling and challenging

I have been working at AMRI full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The experiences (positive and negative) I have at AMRI are as diverse as the people here and as varied as the projects. Overall, working at AMRI has been a stimulating, fulfilling and challenging environment and I value my colleagues who I truly believe have the most "heart" I have ever seen. Those who are unhappy are free to leave (and they do), but I feel like management is doing what can be done (realistically) to balance the needs/wants of all employees and stakeholders in the most forthright and innovative ways. Profitability is continuing to improve even as the industry and economy continues to struggle. The company's internal networking events encourage personal and professional growth, which is a huge positive in my eyes.

Cons

At times (like anywhere else) difficult decisions have been made with less than positive outcomes, but primarily related to the economic downturn. I know for a fact that this company is only one of MANY to experience the same issues.

Listen more; talk less. I know we are a smaller company with less than 1,500 people, but at times I wish someone from management would embark on an "Undercover Boss" adventure to really bring themselves into the lab to evaluate how their scientific/technical employees are being treated, how their managers are managing, how everyone is interacting with customers on a daily basis (and potentially reward some who might not otherwise be recognized/rewarded).

Great, horrible, boring, FDA

Former Employee - Microbiologist in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Microbiologist in Burlington, MA

I worked at AMRI full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Couldn't do much when I was there, we were shut down by the FDA, and for almost 2 years when I worked there nothing went out the door. We fixed out practicies, got some good experiences, but nothing that I would write home about.

Cons

Poor management. High turnover. Disgruntled associates. Managers were disengaged. Waited 6 months to transfer departments that matched my degree. Burlington, MA.... Problems. Low pay scale.

None. They won't listen anyway, regardless of the idea or comments. Heck you might even get fired for opening your mouth with concerns and problems