AMRI

Updated November 19, 2014
Updated November 19, 2014
2.6

William S. Marth

Pros
  • There are some really good people here, but they get overshadowed by company culture as a whole (in 5 reviews)

• My work environment specifically is great but almost everywhere else in the company seems to be pretty bad (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, lower pay (by about 20%) than other companies (in 8 reviews)

• Lots of politics in compensation and job rating (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great, horrible, boring, FDA

Former Employee - Microbiologist in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Microbiologist in Burlington, MA

I worked at AMRI full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Couldn't do much when I was there, we were shut down by the FDA, and for almost 2 years when I worked there nothing went out the door. We fixed out practicies, got some good experiences, but nothing that I would write home about.

Cons

Poor management. High turnover. Disgruntled associates. Managers were disengaged. Waited 6 months to transfer departments that matched my degree. Burlington, MA.... Problems. Low pay scale.

None. They won't listen anyway, regardless of the idea or comments. Heck you might even get fired for opening your mouth with concerns and problems

Great experience, but overworked/underpaid.

I worked at AMRI

Pros

Coworkers very pleasant, you get to know the people in the company after awhile.

Cons

Difficult to achieve good raises, starting pay is generally low, they take advantage of people. They ask and expect you to give your all to the company (if you give your all, you are merely meeting expectations) but they don't return proportional compensation. This really is not the kind of place you want to spend a long time working.

Recognize that the employees can see through every lie and stop playing them for fools. Increase pay and benefits if you want morale to increase.

Working here is like being in an abusive relationship

Former Employee - Research Scientist I in Albany, NY
    Former Employee - Research Scientist I in Albany, NY

I worked at AMRI full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent experience and mentoring to take on to future employers. Opportunities to publish and patent. After working here other jobs will feel like a vacation. The work is rewarding and meaningful. Newer facilities in Albany were a pleasure to work in.

Cons

Work a minimum of 50 hours per week. No concept of work/life balance, your life needs to revolve around your job. All negative reinforcement, no positive feedback. Burnout quickly, never feel appreciated no matter how much you give. Always made to feel like your job is on the line and you could lose it at any moment. Pay is TERRIBLE! The job is amazing but the culture of the company is intolerable.

A little respect will go a long way. The job is rewarding enough that I would have been able to ignore the ridiculous pay if I wasn't always being abused. No loyalty from you means no loyalty from me...

Your Experience May Vary

Current Employee - Research Scientist
    Current Employee - Research Scientist

I have been working at AMRI full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent basic health insurance but could be considered pricey. My work environment specifically is great but almost everywhere else in the company seems to be pretty bad.

Cons

Bad business model overall. Bad management. If the company is doing well only management benefits. If the company is doing poorly only employees suffer. But I have nothing bad to say about my supervisor specifically. Salary overall is on the low-side, especially compared to its neighbor competitor, Regeneron. Also, sick-day is technically unlimited but the way management views it is actually harsh.

Employees need cash rewards not sticks and stones.

Research Scientist I

I worked at AMRI full-time

Pros

Good stepping stone to get experience, thats about it!

Cons

Terrible upper management, don't value employees, terrible pay, no work/family balance, not much room for advancement, no incentive to work hard, employee morale is very bad.

Bring in new management!!!! Treat employees with respect! Value your employees and reward them for their hard work, they are the reason you have a business! Listen to your employees! Especially the ones who leave, listen to their reasons why. If things don't change you will no longer have a valuable business.

New changes are making a difference

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY

I have been working at AMRI full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

New CFO is driving positive change. Unfortunately, this has meant some cuts and shutting down of unprofitable divisions but this is long past due. Despite what somebody posted, the medical benefits are excellent and are the best of I have ever had. 2013 rates did not go up with the excpetion of a small increase in dental (less than $1). I find everyone to be professional and easy to work with. Stock price seems to be supporting the positive changes.

Cons

The organization is still top heavy. Along with that, some of these more senior people continue to try and run things like a mom and pop shop because they have been here since the early days. Advancement opportunities are lacking but this seems to be driven more by economic conditions versus anything company related.

Reach out to the employees and see what they are thinking. They may have some great ideas or can provide additional insight that can help move us in the positive direction.

STAY AWAY

Former Employee - QC Chemist in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - QC Chemist in Burlington, MA

I worked at AMRI full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Cool people and the fact that there is no work and you get paid.

Cons

Quality of life is horrible and you are treated like a slave!!! The site in Burlington has no direction, no clients and I'd be surprised if they will ever have any serious clients considering the quality of the QA Director, not the Site Director. They have a hard time being compliant see the 483 in 2010.

There is no management in Burlington, they only follow orders...everything comes from Albany and they just execute...

NOT a good place to work.

I worked at AMRI full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Experience for the resume. That's about it.

Cons

Poor management. Top Heavy. Little vacation time. Terrible facilities. Low pay. Company pushes employees to work long hours. Micromanagers. Continued exportation of jobs over seas. Very poor benefits package. Employees don't receive incentives or praise when it's due.

Pay your employees decent salaries and treat them like real people to get better productivity, healthier work environment, and reduce turn over. People don't seem to stay at this company unless they are tied down to the area, and with just cause.

Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rensselaer, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rensselaer, NY

I worked at AMRI full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Too few to mention. If you want to learn how not to manage, apply today.

Cons

Never stop looking over your shoulder. You are expendable and don't expect your length of service or performance will save you once you fall from grace. If you're already there, don't tell them where your going once you escape. HR will call your prospective employer and bad mouth your reputation.

Sell and start a prison.

Outstanding Company

Former Employee - Administrative Clerk 2001-2002 in Albany, NY
    Former Employee - Administrative Clerk 2001-2002 in Albany, NY

I worked at AMRI full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Extremely professional and friendly place to work. I wouldn't want to work anywhere else.

Cons

There are no downsides to working here.

Keep doing what you're doing.