AMRI

Updated January 21, 2015
Updated January 21, 2015
2.7

William S. Marth

Pros
  • There are some really good people here, but they get overshadowed by company culture as a whole (in 5 reviews)

• My work environment specifically is great but almost everywhere else in the company seems to be pretty bad (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, lower pay (by about 20%) than other companies (in 9 reviews)

• Lots of politics in compensation and job rating (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Risk far out weighs rewards

Former Employee - Business Development in Albany, NY
    Former Employee - Business Development in Albany, NY

I worked at AMRI

Pros

AMRI has a good location in Albany in relation to highways, cafeteria on site is well run with by nice people, most peers are helpful getting up to speed.

Cons

Very unstable management structure. Expectation that employees will live and breath AMRI, no work/life balance, Very poor communication internally. Scientific team and Business Development teams are very disfunctional and combative.

Sr. Management and HR do not care about their employees in any way, shape or form.

the management needs to change how it is running the business before every solid employee runs away to the competition. Management needs to do much better due dilligence before acquisitions are made that cause financial disasters for the company. People should matter just a shred to the HR team but they DO NOT.

Went from an OK place to work to dismal during global expansion.

Current Employee - Senior Research Scientist I in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Research Scientist I in Albany, NY

I have been working at AMRI

Pros

Affordable health insurance and good 401K match.
    Buildings were comfortable,well maintained, and functional.
    Lot of exciting and new scientific knowledge with each project.

Cons

Poor work to home life ratio.
    Management training is poor, so managers can be hit or miss.
    Poor distribution of compensation, when everyone works hard.
    Lots of politics in compensation and job rating.
    Lack of opportunity to grow.

Spread out benefits to all levels.
    Appreciate the staff, it is what makes the company, not the equipment.
    Provide better management training and listen to employees.

One disappointment or unfulfilled promise after the next

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bothell, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bothell, WA

I worked at AMRI

Pros

Good work/life balance, workloads are easily manageable with little or no work from home or on weekends required.

Cons

Pay is 75% of industry standard, a statistic frequently cited within the company.
    During downsizing, which has happened yearly over the past few years, the newest hires are the ones to go...less severance is required to pay new hires. This company approach is to survive today (by letting go those that are cheapest to let go) but not build for the future (the new and successful are let go and the those that fail projects but have been employed for longer periods are retained because they cost too much to let go).
    Poor organization: I was often called into meetings that started 5 minutes ago, or was totally blown off by key attendees, even 1 on 1's.
    No metric existed to equitably weigh performance across the organizaton for a given job category. Career development is not a priority. Management is poorly trained.
    This is a fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants operation. Don't count on these people to have your best interest in mind because they won't.

Deliver on your promises, actions speak louder than hollow promises.
    A business can be run by anticipating revenue shortfalls and not relying on layoffs to stem deficits that result from poor planning and organization.
    You'll never build an organization with a motivated workstaff without investing and valuing you people.

excellent, rewarding environment

I have been working at AMRI

Pros

forward thinking people, good advancement

Cons

bucketed departments, often downsizes, slow decisions

work on inter-department collaboration efforts

Lies, Lies, Lies

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

I worked at AMRI

Pros

* Gain industry experience
    * Challenging Environment
    * Can use AMRI as an example of what NOT to do

When asked about the Pros of AMRI, a manufacturing technician responded after a pause "Well.. the commute isn't bad"

Cons

*Very dishonest management/HR - promises are constantly thrown around regarding raises, bonuses, promotions, etc. in exchange for 70-80hr work weeks, but are always forgotten when it comes time to pay the piper.
    *High turnover among employees (even for the industry) - Everyone that is competent and motivated to advance is forced to leave due to burnout. The only ones that stay are those who "coast"
    *No direction since AMRI took over - Culture is very reactive instead of proactive. FDA observations are met with immediate, but poorly thought out solutions with no assessment of whether these commitments are actually possible.
    *No real training program.
    *Benefits are not on par with the industry
    *Micro-management
    *Uncertainty about future of company

Make compliance a core value, not a dog and pony show for audits.
    Reward Chem, Micro, and Manufacturing for constantly working above and beyond.
    Stop lying to people. You can only fool SOME of the People ALL of the time. People are willing to leave the company for LESS money just to escape the culture.

Get it done fast and then redo it again!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

I have been working at AMRI

Pros

Contract business. Interact with a multitude of clients. No project is exactly the same. Gain experience working with unique equipment and products.

Cons

Formerly Hyaluron Inc. A small company that suffered from an extremely high turnover rate. Suffers from Brain Drain. The talent leaves while the mediocre stay. Young staff and new employees rarely have any previous knowledge of the contract or aseptic filling business. Long timers tend to have the cushiest jobs. The prominent staff find it difficult to advance or change departments.

Invest in talent. Train and develop the midlevel managers.

You'd have to be really desperate to want to work there

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY

I worked at AMRI

Pros

The people who actually do the work there (ie the scientists, technicians and lab aides) are hard working (they have to be otherwise they get fired!), dedicated and talented (those who haven't been laid off in the most recent round of "payroll adjustment" that is).
    You get to work on a wide variety of different chemistry projects, and you'll certainly never be bored.

Cons

Where to start?
    I regularly worked 55-60 hour weeks, 7am to at least 5pm (frequently later) during the week, often coming in at weekends (I would estimate I worked about 30% of my weekends). On at least three occasions I had to work 24 hours straight. Eventually I was burned out. When business tanked during 2009 I was let go, and in an extremely unpleasant manner.
    Compensation was not, in my opinion, commensurate with the effort I put into the job.
    The management philosophy of the place was definitely much more stick than carrot. The caliber of most of the management there was nothing short of abysmal.

How do you live with yourselves?
    Metrics and strikes? Really? Who came up with that gem of an idea?
    Be aware that your reputation within the rest of the chemistry community stinks, and deservedly so.
    Don't try to run the place as if it were the organic chemistry department of some big shot university, because, trust me, it isn't.
    Treat the people who do the work that gives you your pay-check with some respect. Otherwise, come the next round of lay-offs, you're going to find yourselves with no job and no friends.

Long Hours

Current Employee - Senior Research Scientist in Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Research Scientist in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at AMRI

Pros

Breadth of projects
    Large capital budget for equipment purchases
    Young staff, motivated and hard working
    Senior management has science background
    Decent salaries

Cons

Long hours, required 50+ hours per week for a 40 hour paycheck
    Lots of politics, people let go easily even if they are competent

There is a lack of work/home balance. It was apparent that you needed to be there more than 50 hours per week in order to get a good review.

Run away.

I have been working at AMRI

Pros

The products that AMRI works on helps to better people's lives. Benefits are good, but if you try to use the generous leave policy, they hold it against you.

Cons

HR lies about salaries and bonuses. I am making much less than I was told because they have yet to pay me a bonus even though I have exceed all the performance measures. There are many layers of bosses that have to approve your work. Too many bosses are best friends with the people they manage. I have been work 80 hours a week (including weekends), because I got assigned all the work from a laid off coworker, while my other co-worker leaves 15 minutes early, calls in sick on nice days, and works no overtime. She is best friends with the boss. I just got reprimanded because the department did not meet a key deadline, and yet all my work was done on time. The reason? I should have taken on more of the boss' and co-worker's work since they are obviously so overwhelmed with the layoffs. Looking for another job so I can get me life back.

Multiple levels of hierarchy for a company in an environment that is rapidly changing means that Senior Management needs to take a refresher course about structuring a company to best be able to compete in its environment. Too many bosses means approvals that need to take less than a day, can take weeks. Trust your employees.

AMRI not recommended

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rensselaer, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rensselaer, NY

I have been working at AMRI

Pros

The most positive reason to work at AMRI is that the products made at AMRI positively affect lives. You can feel good about the impact of your work.

Cons

Management is terrible at AMRI. They do not care about the morale of the employees. They do not reward employees for good work.

They know what they are doing. The strategy seems to be to create a difficult work environment for the employees.