AMTI

Susan B.Chodakewitz

Typical government contracting job

Former Employee - IT Specialist in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - IT Specialist in Washington, DC

I worked at AMTI full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Because I worked at the client site, I never interacted with any of my direct AMTI management. That can be a blessing and a curse. Hands off management. I worked as a sub contractor to a bigger government contractor who I reported to directly.

Cons

Because I worked at the client site, I never interacted with any of my direct AMTI management. That can be a blessing and a curse. AMTI is a small division within the parent company, Tetra Tech, which acquired AMT a few years back. AMT is the only division within Tetra Tech that does IT work and it's a government contractor with limited contracts, so there is no room for growth both inside and outside the DC metro area. The paid time off, sick time and paid holidays all come from the same pool of time, so you lose PTO every time you take a holiday off.

AMT doesn't really fit in with the rest of Tetra Tech. Make PTO, sick and holiday time separate from each other.

Tetra Tech AMTI is not bad for just starting out.

Former Employee - Program Manager in Rosslyn, VA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Rosslyn, VA

I worked at AMTI

Pros

The Pros for seeking employment AMTI
    salary: pay more than other companies (Lockheed BAH). Benefits are good.
    You work mostly alone, own office (with a door) come and go as you please. co worker are cool.

Cons

Management: questionable, Do not provide career development training. (If you wish to seek training you must you must use your vacation days and pay to attend any conferences, workshop training regardless if its related to your job) sick leave, holiday and vacation hours are all the same. If you call out sick you use the same hours Use must use your
     holiday hours for all federal holiday's. If you been out sick for a couple days and if there's a federal holiday and you don't have enough hours. hours will go towards federal and sick leave will then becomes no pay.
    Another Con: At least once a week 5-10 employees are turning in there resignation to leave.

Invest in your employees. If you want people to stay provide job training. Stop bragging about the new contracts awards and profits. and invest your employees.

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Quality Consultant in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Quality Consultant in Arlington, VA

I have been working at AMTI full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The people who work here are wonderful, the pay is decent, benefits are good, you get an office (no cubes!), respected, listened to, and management is easy to talk to. There are a lot of places to go out for lunch. No micromanagement so you are in charge of yourself and meeting your requirements.

Cons

The staff kitchen areas could use some improvements and more opportunities for training would be great! It takes a while for any materials to be added to the kitchens (paper towels, soap, sugar, etc.) so people usually go out and buy their own.

Keep up the good work!

Okay if you have specialized (billable) IT skills

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at AMTI

Pros

On some contracts, the clients are really easy to work with.
    Most staff work at client sites and do not have to deal with politics at HQ.

Cons

Low pay. The will do anything to maximize profits.
    No new business in over 2 years. They are limping along on existing contracts.
    Inept senior management. The president just keeps hiring more VPs when she really needs to get rid of her "yes man" COO.

Try treating your people better. The benefits package is a joke. The stupid employee newsletter is a waste of time.

Nothing exception here. Its your standard government contracting company.

Former Employee - Senior Systems Analyst
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Analyst

I worked at AMTI

Pros

The employees were a good group of people to work with.

Cons

Management is not interested in developing employees or providing opportunities for advancement.

Hope things have changed since the merger

ok

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at AMTI

Pros

Work and clients and pay

Cons

management, strange logic, and hinderance

No advice feedback as such. Let them do what they have to do. Nothing really from my side. Not much advice

OK company to work for.

Former Employee - Programmer
    Former Employee - Programmer

I worked at AMTI

Pros

Do not have to deal with politics at HQ.

Cons

Not very well managed company.

Moving in the right direction...but slowly

I have been working at AMTI

Pros

-Upper Management is trying to instill some pride in the company and improve
    -Some big wins are getting the firm noticed

Cons

-Holdovers from previous regime throughout the company are lazy and incapable
    -Facilities are dated

Trim the fat ALREADY!! There are countless hungry and motivated people out there, time for an infusion of talent and new blood.

AMTI is now owned by Ultralife Battery. SAIC sold them in late 2008-early 2009

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer 03
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer 03

I worked at AMTI

Pros

Great tools to do your job, and always plenty of work for the most part. You are also mostly working alone and free to come up with solutions on your own.

Cons

Spineless, useless management, and too many "micro managers." The company was losing tons of money as they are too stupid with finances. Bought a lot of equipment that should have been leased.

Hire more competent management and less of it.