AMX Reviews

Rashid M. Skaf

1. Best Place to work

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Director in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Director in Richardson, TX

I have been working at AMX full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Family friendly
    Tolerant to risk taking
    Encourage you to innovate
    Rewards your initiative and enthusiasm
    Appreciates hard work

Cons

I can not think any thing of negative nature at this point

Advice to Management

Keep the innovative spirit alive. Encourage entrepreneurial spirit with in

2. Software Engineer I

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at AMX (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice facilities. Seems like the company is trying to please its employees.

Cons

Not enough work to keep employees busy. I only had enough work to keep me busy about 2-3 hours a day. I was bored out of my mind.

Good news, bad news

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX

I worked at AMX full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Until relatively recently, AMX offered lots of opportunities to learn new technologies and protocols. The corporate culture was mellow, with lots of extra activities such as the annual Halloween costume competition and the Pumpkin Chunkin' tournament in the field behind the building. Free parking. Specially discounted lunches on site. Oh, and before the annual layoffs starting iin 2011, a lot of interesting people that you actually wanted to associate with outside of work.

Cons

While some of the managers are excellent, and will be snapped up once Harman liquidates the company, far too many are walking demonstrations of the Peter Principle. It's been obvious for the last three years that the company was going to be sold: arbitrary layoffs every October that manage never to catch the people most needed to be shown the door, lots of silly items being replaced while pay remained at 2007 levels, and a lot of good people walking because they got tired of the garbage from upper management. Oh, yeah, and lots of new upper management being hired just before the sale announcement. Marketing pretty much runs the company, meaning that the CEO announces products to the public long before it's even remotely ready, and those products finally get released only because customers start suing. (You didn't think the rest of us noticed the number of big gifts "randomly" drawn at the Christmas party a couple of years ago that just coincidentally went to the product managers, did you?) Hardware and Software are completely overwhelmed with arbitrary demands from Sales and Marketing, usually made right after product meetings that state exactly why those demands aren't physically possible. In the process, you have a lot of people who just need a break and the opportunity to take a vacation, which they can't take because of certain people who will wait until they leave to scream about how they're the only thing holding up a project. However, the company also has a lot of employees who honestly need lots of psychiatric help and maybe hospitalization before someone comes in with a shotgun because Jesus told him to.

Advice to Management

Since upper management has no shame and wouldn't respond to anything other than a savage beating in a dark alley, take any buyouts and disappear. Whatever you do, don't go to work anywhere else, and definitely don't go anywhere where you might have to work with humans. You're no good at it.

5. Great company but lazy people

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Richardson, TX

I have been working at AMX full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits and perks are great, the "family" mentality is awesome and the career opportunity is one of a lifetime. Very rarely are you expected to work beyond your hours and having fun is most definitely a priority. I've yet to find any disgruntled employees, and most everyone appears to be happy here.

Cons

There seems to be many people doing a lot of nothing to help move the company forward. Instead of charging into fires to put them out, most wait until their told to do something. Creativity and innovation isn't really encouraged or highly approved of. Movement in the company is difficult unless you play company politics.

Advice to Management

Employ those who want to work hard and benefit the company. Don't keep people just to fill seats. Encourage and reward innovation, and ideas.

6. Great work environment and culture

Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Richardson, TX

I worked at AMX full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Most folks at AMX treat you like family. Many people have been there for a very long time. Low turnover aside from occasional and financially necessary layoffs, and when those have occurred staff have agonized over how to decide who had to be let go, particularly iengineering. If you have a good idea and it makes sense this is a place where most of the time they will let you run with it. Little in the way of absurd beauracracy I had at previous jobs.

Cons

Haven't been much for bonuses for a while, no profit sharing plans, however senior management isn't lining thier pockets at the employees expense either. Management sometimes pours R&D into acquired product lines it should have never picked up in the first place as they were inherently flawed to begin with.

Advice to Management

Trust your staffs input. People who work here for the most part really do think about the well being of the company first and if they tell you something may not be a great idea, there's probably something to it.

7. A great work environment that's friendly and fun.

I have been working at AMX full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The best thing about working here is that it's a fun work environment and open communication with management is encouraged.

Cons

There's not many that I can think of at the moment. We could always have higher salaries I guess.

Advice to Management

I would say try to be as in tune with the industry as possible in order to continue to develop award winning products.

Make sure to hire for the Firmware Department, not Software

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Richardson, TX

I have been working at AMX full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good company environment overall. The work in the Firmware Department is both challenging and rewarding. Technical accomplishments are recognized and the environment is not political. However this is not true for the Software Department.

Cons

Make sure to get your money upfront because if you ever see a raise it will be very small.

Advice to Management

Implement the company culture from the Firmware side to the Software side or combine the two departments.

9. great place to work at

I have been working at AMX

Pros

very competitive, good quality workplace

Cons

low salary, hard work, hard to grow

10. Great place to work!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX

I worked at AMX full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Positive corporate culture
    Interesting technology and applications
    Opportunities for advancement

Cons

Sales targets are very high and difficult to achieve
    Products in a very competitive market space

11. Good, but waiting for greatness to return!

I have been working at AMX full-time

Pros

AMX has a lot of great employees and remnants of a great culture. If you are a true Sales Professional (professional meaning hard worker), this is the place for you! Great people, hard-working (truly great) engineers and exciting technology.

Cons

Lack of focus or defined goals from the top. Very top-heavy with non-performing V.P. level (not all of them, there are a few greats). Executive Team appears to tolerate mediocrity rather than challenge the poor decision making of the CEO, at risk of their job no doubt. Marketing cannot run a technical company; especially when product release dates/features have overwhelmingly not been timely met for years.

Advice to Management

Quit trimming low-level fat in your house cleaning sessions; address the issue from the top-down... Yes, Duchossois Group, you need to be involved next round. Bottom line, top line - AMX could be so much more if run and managed better, I believe Bob Caroll proved this already. Expect more of your highly paid management levels and hold them accountable.