ANCILE Solutions Reviews

ANCILE Solutions CEO Frank Lonergan
Frank Lonergan

Ch ch ch changes

I worked at ANCILE Solutions full-time

Pros

Was a large company with many long term employees, seemed stable.

Cons

Underwent a sea change and downsized quite severely, those left behind were left juggling a bit more than most can handle.

Advice to Management

Fine line between lean development and cutting into the bone.

2. Talent Acquisition

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elkridge, MD

I have been working at ANCILE Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

ANCILE Solutions has one of the friendliest customer focused cultures I have seen. How they treat the customer is the same mentality that is used internally. Very team oriented, friendly, and helpful. My interview process was one of the best I have experienced in a long time. I had the chance to not only meet with who would be my direct manager but also my peer as well as the Chief Financial Officer and Chief Product Officer. Each person I spoke to was not only friendly but also very honest and transparent about the past, present and future of the company. They disclosed their vision, what they do well as well as areas they know they needed to improve on. They have some of the best benefits I have seen as well as truly believe in making sure employees have a work life balance. It was a good choice to join this organization.

Cons

They work off desktops and not laptops. Though everything is cloud based and you can access almost everything from your own PC, I still prefer to work on a laptop that I can grab and bring with me to a meeting if need be.

Advice to Management

In a changing and Agile work environment it is critical that communication and transparency are constant.

3. Best-In-Class Software

I have been working at ANCILE Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

ANCILE continues to provide best-in-class software solutions. A very loyal and satisfied customer base including many household names. ANCILE leadership devotes resources to listening to customers, researching industry future trends, and does a good job of responding with respected solutions. Generous compensation package and good work / life balance.

Cons

ANCILE is responding to changes in the market, altering their business model to grow into the future. Not everyone is able to adapt to those changes. Some long time employees want the good old days to stay forever. New employees embrace the changes.

Advice to Management

Demonstrate that you are listening to staff. Asking questions is a good start, but follow up and acknowledge you hear the concerns. There needs to be a shorter gap from when you ask for feedback and when you take action.

Micro-Management nightmare. An absolute nightmare. I can't believe this company treats its Software Engineers so badly.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Elkridge, MD
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Elkridge, MD

I worked at ANCILE Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

9-5 no weekends. A check every week.

Cons

If you work in the SDIG department for uPerform get ready for a micro-management nightmare.
    Open door policy is a lie. Once you actually utilize the open door policy they will meet with you and be friendly, but then the supervisor will receive a complaint and you will be told not to do it again.
    Agile Scrum is just a cover and excuse for micro-management.
    You will hear management state that you are a "self-managed" team, but they will harass the new folks constantly.
    It will only be a matter of time before the new hires leave too.

Advice to Management

Plenty of "Snakes" in the grass making life impossible for the new Developers. Every single person I spoke to in SDIG except for 1 is looking for a new job. Soon you will have no one left with any idea of what the product is actually doing.
    Get rid of the "Snakes" in the grass and let the teams manage themselves.
    Count the number of Software Engineers that just left in the past month. It's around 10. In the past 7 months about 30 employees have either left or were terminated.
    You can still salvage the folks that are remaining. One of your new Software Engineers already left before 3 months on the job, salvage the rest before the "Snakes" in the grass force them to find new jobs.
    Remember a company is just an empty building without people.
    You can't be a "snake" and treat people the way you do and expect people not to leave.

What is our direction?

Current Employee - Customer Success Scrum Team Member
    Current Employee - Customer Success Scrum Team Member

I have been working at ANCILE Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good team, some people still care, great benefits and pto, good office and location. Great work life balance. Good work from home policy.

Cons

We have no direction as a team. We have no leadership in our department that cares. We were pushed to be agile and then pushed off a cliff with no direction. Our VP is just fluff and pretends all is well, but it isn't. Don't dare believe the open door policy and feedback will only get you in trouble. We have a huge wall with our development team and no one cares but not only are we impacted but our customers get the runaround. We are supposed to figure out how to do things without any help from development. I don't understand how we are successful at all sometimes and it makes me nervous. We are tied to a single partner and have sales goals that we can't ever and won't ever hit. Paid pretty low and morale in our group is awful but ignored.

Advice to Management

Be more innovative. Get fresh, bring in more new leadership and blow away the same old thinkers that have been here forever and are out of touch with their team. Work on a bonus plan that is achievable.

7. Enterprise learning software that is trying to transition to agile methodologies

Former Employee - Associate QA Test Analyst in Elkridge, MD
    Former Employee - Associate QA Test Analyst in Elkridge, MD

I worked at ANCILE Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good corporate culture that was decently transparent. Great workplace with friendly coworkers. Good product growth and expanding into new markets

Cons

Slow Transition from modified waterfall to an agile SDLC. Teams often overlapped on features and stories which caused some headaches.

Advice to Management

Invest in training for automated testing.

8. A great place to work if you can keep up; a terrible experience for coasters

I have been working at ANCILE Solutions full-time

Pros

Excellent work-from-home policies
    Casual dress code
    Friendly co-workers
    Help is always available for those who try to help themselves
    Top-Notch 401-K and Insurance coverage

Cons

Policies and Procedures routinely change on-the-fly.
    Inconsistent attitudes toward customer needs.
    Pay is undercompetitive, (but the benefits package I think helps to redress this slightly)

Advice to Management

- Undertake an immediate review of compensation, and work to better match industry standards.
    - There are too many formal barriers preventing different departments from working together to service the product and customer base. Consider a more free-flow environment.

Horrible!

I worked at ANCILE Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexiable schedule for picking up kids and able to work from home.

Cons

Management is a joke! Promotions are based on if you manger likes you and people still get promoted based on who's messing around with who.
    They only have one real customer and if that customer leaves....well you know.
    Take my advice and look for employment else where.

Advice to Management

Trying actually working for a change.

10. Good company, no advancement opportunities

Current Employee - Technical Solutions in Elkridge, MD
    Current Employee - Technical Solutions in Elkridge, MD

I have been working at ANCILE Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture, great benefits, and is very innovative, so there's a lot to learn.

Cons

No advancement opportunities which means no opportunities for salary increases outside of the yearly 3% increase.
    The work load is overwhelming because we do not have enough bodies in support, however there are no plans to hire new bodies.

Advice to Management

In the last 6 months, we have been given a lot to take on, without any additional help, and are now required to handle issues that would've previously been escalated to engineering solutions, as well as escalations. Additionally, there's no chance of being promoted or given a salary increase because all of the roles have been combined. I really feel that we all should be given some sort of salary increase, that would really boast the moral in the office.

You are valued

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elkridge, MD

I have been working at ANCILE Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Although my position is non-management, my voice has been heard with process and suggestions. I feel as though I am a valued employee.

Cons

This company is always changing, but I feel this is not a bad thing. I feel they are listening to employees and the market place.