ANCILE Solutions

Be The First To
Add Photos

ANCILE Solutions CEO Frank Lonergan

Frank Lonergan

Smaller company that allows everyone to work together across teams

ProsFlexible, good environment, smart team, global, interesting

ConsContinue to work on being proactive, maintain growth strategy

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to listen to the team at all levels of the company

Company in Transition

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe company's major revenue source is SAP via a semi-OEM Agreement.

ConsThe company needs to devote resources to develop more revenue generating partners.

The biggest little company on the planet.

Elkridge, MD

ProsThere are some very bright and talented people here. People are well compensated for the work that they do and a profit sharing pool helps spread the wealth.

ConsPeople aren't properly enabled or empowered to do the right thing. Many of those talented people are not used in ways to best leverage their talents. This software company is a 9-5 company that operates in a large bureaucracy similar to our largest partner. Committee driven, slow to make decisions and not entrepreneurial although some especially in management would argue this and not acknowledge this fact. Too many people here are going through the motions and only doing the minimum that that needs to be done with a sense of entitlement for their profit sharing bonus.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop doing the same things that you have always done. Bring in new people to change the status quo and do it soon before its too late.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I kept hoping it would get better...

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Elkridge, MD

ProsThere are some great people and the new CTO's direction is very forward thinking. CTO talks to us and takes action on what we say, but doesn't change his management team.

ConsAwful and discouraging leadership pockets. No real sales team, can't find customers for new products unless same partner does all of the work. CEO let's same executive team stay around even when they can't hit goals and make real sales. Director of product development scolds team members, doesn't ever help us, and can't understand technology let alone write code. I'm not sure if he has ever thanked us for our hard work. Some team members of other scrum teams won't answer my questions and help me out, they just say talk to my scrummaster. My small team is great and that's what kept me going, but the work we are rushing to do now at direction of management will yield poor results that I'm sure we will be blamed for.

Advice to Senior ManagementI've been here for a few RWD years and all of ANCILE. There have been some good decisions and many bad ones that are ignored. It's time for you to clean out your management team and save the good products that you have. I'm on my way out and hoping this message will help my friends in need. Please take this seriously for the people that have worked really hard for you over the years. We are all tired and just want to feel appreciated.

Inept, delusional leadership

QA (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefits, Good life/work balance

ConsHappy talk and delusional presentations at company meetings by delusional executives and managers are excruciatingly painful to sit through, The executives don't seem to know much about the business they are in. It's software, but they are contemptuous of the talented and skilled employees who actually know something about software. Talented, experienced people come and go, but institutional mediocrity retains only the boring, middling performers. Most of middle management is filled by a clique of managers who all got their positions at RWD. They fiercely protect themselves by stifling creativity and making sure that no one but themselves get credit for contributions made by those who aren't in with the in-crowd. Because of this, forget about any possibility of career advancement.

The worst thing you can do is to use their so-called "open door policy" to discuss any of these problems with upper management or HR. Nothing will happen and you can be sure that retribution will come swiftly from their underlings.

None of this does the business any good. They do have a solid product, but it's becoming technically obsolete and they are entirely dependent on a single reseller. They don't know how to do anything else and any attempts at innovation are either misguided or stifled by entrenched management. It's a shame because there is real potential here for growth, but instead they remain a one-trick pony.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up.

not as great a place to work as management seems to think

Support (Current Employee)

ProsI'm able to get out at 5, don't have to work weekends

Consmanagement doesn't know how to grow the business; they are heavily reliant on 1 partner; too many legacy people (from the RWD days), they like to sell the idea that "we're doing great" yet they are not; they cannot attract true software professionals to run the business

Advice to Senior Managementbring in some true, proven software people.

Not Impressed, by far!!!

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsNice Benefits and good Office Location

ConsThis is first company; in a very long long time, I’ve wished I never signed the offer letter but I look forward to leaving.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is a company that prides themselves on being voted 2011 Top Work Places in this area; in which they proudly display at the front door and remind you of it throughout the beginning of your tenure but when you look underneath it means nothing to them to actually and really be a Top Work Place!

To say the least, these votes that have allowed this company to be ranked so highly come from employees that have been there around for 5 years or more and employees that work remotely.

The trickle down of good feelings and well wishes stop at employees that have been around for a couple of years through RWD, gained middle management status. Some employees’ blatantly disrespectfulness, employee bias and ignorance go unchecked in my department. I’ve learned; in this company the happy employees are the ones that work abroad and/or remote but the even happier employees are members of the middle management cliques.

The corporate office of middle management cliques and chosen favorites, biases are well played out but become obvious, some middle management hold gossip ceremonies at their desk over IM about their employees, the ineffective, unseen and impotent upper management and Human Resources that see what goes on and does nothing especially when it involves one their well wished upon middle management that leads to abusive behavior and when upper management hears/see of this behavior they sit around like a deer caught in the headlights and even calling their attention to issues (open door policy) leads you to being ostracized, demonized and being told you’re the blame and they will protect their department by all means.

No direction, no leadership

Pros9-5 schedule
    Good health coverage
    Reasonable pay

ConsThe company hasn't changed is business strategy since the spin-off from RWD. They are still entirely dependent on a single sales partner, itself an aging legacy software dinosaur. Sales and profit margins will continue to decline while the current executive team does everything they can to maintain the status quo long enough to cash in on their equity positions. They talk about creativity and innovation a great deal, but all they do is stifle it. They've created an oppressive, process heavy bureaucracy that manages to kill every new idea before it is even considered. Occasionally they make a show and solicit suggestions but none of them ever go anywhere. Instead, they figure out ways to squeeze as much profitability out of product that has decreasing market share and shrinking profit margins. The do this in spite of the fact that they have never hit any of their sales targets. Layoffs happen, but never to the executives who are responsible for the company's strategic failures. Instead, the dedicated development and support professionals who built the successful products that have earned millions over the years take the fall. When the equity holders cash out, these people again be left out in the cold. The savvy ones who know this are moving on.

Most of the existing management owes their position to the fact that they once worked for RWD, which appears to be their only qualification for the jobs they have. That an their ability to tell their bosses what they want to hear. They don't know much about technology and show no leadership skills at all. The good people move on, the furniture remains.

The happy talk company meetings continue with the CEO continuing to claim everything's just fine when clearly it isn't.

Their only hope is that their sales partner will acquire them, which might make a few people at the top rich, but do absolutely nothing for the employees except get more of them laid off.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou really need to face up to the reality that you're not up to the job. Bring in some experienced professionals who really understand the software business and are able to lead development. Once you get them, you might want to try listening to them for a change.

Great people, small company, very flexible

ProsThe people are great. Ease of access to management. Open environment that fosters ideas from employees.

ConsAmount of travel is 75%

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat job! Keep the open door policy going.

Worked for ANCILE Solutions? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ANCILE Solutions reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for ANCILE Solutions CEO Frank Lonergan. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by ANCILE Solutions employees.