ANSYS

www.ansys.com

ANSYS Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014
ANSYS – Pittsburgh – “Ansys HQ”

ANSYS President, CEO, and Director Jim Cashman III

Jim Cashman III

Pros
  • Work-life balance is given importance here(in 7 reviews)

• Friendly and relaxing, yet not so laid back work culture(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of leadership in upper management(in 3 reviews)

• With so many acquisitions, organic growth is slower than the potential(in 3 reviews)

Good place to work

ProsWork Satisfactions, varieties of projects, experienced colleague

ConsAvg salaries, too many managers, stagnant career after some level

ok to work here with reasonable salary

TSE (Current Employee) Lebanon, NH

ProsGood to work and nice environment

ConsLow Salary . . slower growth other issues..

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing. . .

An excellent job which demands expertise in your background and allow you to learn and grow professionally.

Senior Technical Services Engineer (Current Employee) Lebanon, NH

ProsAll I have learned in my field (thermal fluids, numerical methods and programming skills) is utilized as I solve the technical problems for clients day in and day out. Excellent collegiate work environment in which I can learn from my colleagues.

ConsPromotion process is substantially slower than the industry's average.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good

Co-Op (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

Prosgood learning experience on software development

ConsLocated in south of Pittsburgh in Canonsburg

Good opportunities for experts to showcase their skills

Senior Research Engineer (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsReal world opportunities, good division between technical & non-technical aspects of s/w, descent research freedom, accessible senior management, work is valued with respect and pay

ConsRestricted research freedom, lack of transparancy in some decisions & strategies, lack of integration with different groups.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide clear, unified and simple long term vision that motivate & instill pride in employees

Great company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Canonsburg, PA

ProsAnsys offers cutting edge technology and excellent benefits. They are by far one of the best technology companies in the Pittsburgh area.

ConsSome middle management do not have the proper training that they should to do their jobs properly. Upper management should send them for training.

Advice to Senior ManagementSend middle management to leadership and management training classes. Some have been promoted from the inside (which is excellent), but they lack the skills that they could easily be taught.

Mediocrity and unrestrained personal ambitions rule

Technical Services Engineer (Current Employee) Lebanon, NH

ProsIn the initial stages of your career it is a good environment where you are exposed to different technologies and industries, can learn much about different simulation tools.

ConsEspecially after the 2009 layoffs there has been a top-heavy structure: many managers from a legacy organization with very little restraint imposed on their personal management styles and ambitions. A lot of work is expected from engineers and quite often not appreciated or recognized. Unreasonable requests are put on employees when office doors are closed. Many political games driven by personal ambition and personal preferences are being played. Rather than focusing on growing as a company, several managers are worried about their visibility and undermining other managers' positions. There is some sort of an intimidating atmosphere depending who your boss is so that you do not feel to express honest concerns. As a matter of fact, there is not even an HR person in the Lebanon office!

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management could be more active and in contact with engineers. HR too could perform a survey and see if/how/why employees are not satisfied. It would help to the company long-term growth and soundness to remove some over-ambitious managers who make a lot of smoke using a lot of the company resources for self-promotion. Career counseling would help too.

It was good both under professional and the work environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Canonsburg, PA

ProsBetter employee relations, good managers to help you in Professional growth and good feedback. Better flexibility with timings and good work environment

ConsSalary may be low according to market. Growth can be slow in your career. Work is not much in latest technologies

Advice to Senior ManagementMake changes to the pay structure and implement cutting technologies into the projects so that employees can have better scope

Run - unless you aspire to be mediocre and love the status quo

Sales (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

Pros- Good benefits
    - Strong business model

Cons- No customer focus
    - Senior management focus is ONLY Profits - increase top line or cut costs until bottom line improves.
    - No interest in innovation at all except for lip service.

Advice to Senior ManagementTime to stop buying companies at 8X revenues and come up with some "real" in-house innovation at a much lower cost - and I don't mean e-notebook!

Do not work for ANSYS!

Support/Services Employee (Former Employee) Lebanon, NH

ProsThe atmosphere is generally casual and professional in the NH office. The vast majority of employees in the NH office are very cordial and professional. Work environment was very pleasant, and I was very satisfied with the hands-off management style of most managers.

ConsYour job will not be at all secure in the current climate. Executives seem very two-faced and only look out for themselves. I am not the only one who feels wrongly terminated and has lost much respect for those in upper management during the most recent layoff. No reasons were given for termination; only that it was not merit-based. Did they just draw names from a hat? They even fired a janitor!

The executives claim that there were budgetary reasons for the RIF, but the SEC website reports bonuses on the order of 80-100% for executives. Jim Cashman's bonus was over 100% (just above $500k). How does he sleep at night?

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the well-qualified people you have. During tough times, be more scrutinous of those who do not produce results instead of slapping in the face those who do. I had a deep passion for what I did for ANSYS and felt very offended after the layoff process. Offer a pay cut (I said I would take one but was denied). Be respectful and give those you cut the information and reasons for termination that they deserve. Don't just abruptly turn your back. Executives should either defer their bonus compensation or reduce it altogether. Lead by example and allow yourself the 15% that you give everyone else.

Worked for ANSYS? Contribute to the Community!