AOA Reviews

2.8
Adrienne White-Faines
1 Rating

N bad

I have been working at AOA full-time

Pros

Good location downtown ... Does many nice things for employees ... pays employees well ... very good benefits.

Cons

Clannish ... upper management takes good care of their own. Future is questionable for this Association

Advice to Management

Hard to say as big change in top leadership has just occurred and change is in the wind

Beware...Get hired at your own risk. If you looking for stability & longevity, this aint the place

I worked at AOA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1. They pay well 2. Location 3. Benefits were great but due to cuts now they are good.

Cons

1. A merger is taking place and upper management refuses to confirm the reality which is...nobody's job is secure within the next 5 years as departments start fazing out. 2. Unstable. The proof is in the pudding (about 95 people have either "retired" or quit within the last 2 years and more to come). 3. People have been put into leadership positions that have ugly dispositions & they are running the "brains" and good people away.

3. Would Never Recommend

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at AOA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good location, decent pay and benefits.

Cons

All smart, hard working, valuable employees have left in the past two years, which should be a huge red flag to upper management and anyone thinking about working here. Very behind in technology. Zero professional development (people are moved into management without any training or guidance). CEO hires friends for positions which they are not qualified for and you will be told who to fire and who to hire (why bother with an interview process?). Employees are not trusted and are not recognized for their hard work. No clarity in where the company is going and zero transparency into the future/strategic plan, etc.

Never again.

I worked at AOA full-time

Pros

If you have low standards and low ambition, you can keep your head down and be almost guaranteed to have a job for as long as you like.

Cons

Incompetent leadership without a clue on how to begin to plan for the future. Employees not trusted and treated like children, which results in incredibly low morale. CEO, sorry I mean CEO/Executive Director plays favorites with hiring unqualified past associates, and manages to make employee perks like the annual holiday party terrible by instead turning it into a "training session." Because clearly everyone needs a training session on excellence from a motivational speaker that failed to spell check his own resume.

Advice to Management

Resign.

Program Coordinator

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

AOA provides really good health benefits

Cons

Poor leadership, top heavy, no investment in employee growth

7. Depends on your area

Current Employee - Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AOA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great colleague, good benefits, nice location for lunchtime shopping

Cons

not enough resources, leadership can be a bit disconnected with reality

8. Would go back if given the chance

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AOA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

10 years and several jobs later, I can say working at the AOA was overall the most positive work experience I've had. In hindsight, I was allowed to work independently, make important decisions and was respected by my managers. They also invested heavily in my professional growth and truly cared about my opinion. I never felt that I could not call up senior management with a question or reach out to Board members when needed. They also have good benefits, and my salary was increased substantially as I received more duties. It's the only organization that I would return to if approached. They also have friendly policies for those who choose to work from home after having children. They do care about work-life balance.

Cons

The association world is full of "lifers,"--people who may not have the best skill set, but through years of dedication, have risen to director-level roles. You'll also have your fair share of eccentrics, which I think is pretty common for associations. For the most part I thought everyone there was friendly, not cut throat like you'll find in corporate or city-related positions.

Advice to Management

They will eventually need to force retirement on some employees to usher in a new generation of thinkers.

9. Overall positive

Former Employee - Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Analyst in Chicago, IL

Pros

great place to advance certain skill sets: advocacy, networking, time managment. Overall the place is good match for someone who wants to do heavy research based analysis of health policy issues.

Cons

Somewhat under-staffed. No real clear way to advance in the organization. Sometimes projects are too piecemeal with no one person having ownership.

Advice to Management

Overall they do a good job with the resources available. Some of the students they hire (for cheap labor) take a while to perform to standards, but they are usually motivated. Pay more.

Qualified applicants look elsewhere

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

We occasionally get free lunch. That's all.

Cons

Very hierarchical. You know who is in charge but not what they actually do. Many people there make 'looking busy' their primary job. External impressions are too important. Negative work environment. Senior management treats employees as if they are untrustworthy and unimportant.

Advice to Management

Senior management is not there because they are innovators with valuable experience, but because they are the ones who knew to keep their head down and not rock the boat.

RSS Feed </> Embed