AOA Reviews

3.8

John B. Crosby

N bad

I have been working at AOA full-time

Pros

Good location downtown ... Does many nice things for employees ... pays employees well ... very good benefits.

Cons

Clannish ... upper management takes good care of their own. Future is questionable for this Association

Hard to say as big change in top leadership has just occurred and change is in the wind

Depends on your area

Current Employee - Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AOA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great colleague, good benefits, nice location for lunchtime shopping

Cons

not enough resources, leadership can be a bit disconnected with reality

Would go back if given the chance

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AOA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

10 years and several jobs later, I can say working at the AOA was overall the most positive work experience I've had. In hindsight, I was allowed to work independently, make important decisions and was respected by my managers. They also invested heavily in my professional growth and truly cared about my opinion. I never felt that I could not call up senior management with a question or reach out to Board members when needed. They also have good benefits, and my salary was increased substantially as I received more duties. It's the only organization that I would return to if approached.

They also have friendly policies for those who choose to work from home after having children. They do care about work-life balance.

Cons

The association world is full of "lifers,"--people who may not have the best skill set, but through years of dedication, have risen to director-level roles. You'll also have your fair share of eccentrics, which I think is pretty common for associations. For the most part I thought everyone there was friendly, not cut throat like you'll find in corporate or city-related positions.

They will eventually need to force retirement on some employees to usher in a new generation of thinkers.

Overall positive

Former Employee - Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at AOA

Pros

great place to advance certain skill sets: advocacy, networking, time managment. Overall the place is good match for someone who wants to do heavy research based analysis of health policy issues.

Cons

Somewhat under-staffed. No real clear way to advance in the organization. Sometimes projects are too piecemeal with no one person having ownership.

Overall they do a good job with the resources available. Some of the students they hire (for cheap labor) take a while to perform to standards, but they are usually motivated. Pay more.

Qualified applicants look elsewhere

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at AOA

Pros

We occasionally get free lunch. That's all.

Cons

Very hierarchical. You know who is in charge but not what they actually do. Many people there make 'looking busy' their primary job. External impressions are too important. Negative work environment. Senior management treats employees as if they are untrustworthy and unimportant.

Senior management is not there because they are innovators with valuable experience, but because they are the ones who knew to keep their head down and not rock the boat.