AOL Reviews in Beverly Hills, CA

3.4

AOL Chairman and CEO Tim Armstrong
Tim Armstrong

Pros
  • flexible work/life balance (although hours can be long) (in 82 reviews)

• Or if you want to work from home (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management talks the talk, but doesn't walk the walk (in 27 reviews)

• The department you work in determines what kind of work life balance you will have (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

5 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A family friendly company that is a perfect balance for my lifestage at this moment."

Current Employee - Director  in  Beverly Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Beverly Hills, CA

I have been working at AOL full-time for less than a year

Pros

Family friendly, general pervasiveness of work-life balance attitude, collaborative & optimistic culture (within the Beverly Hills office), dog friendly (within the Beverly Hills office), VP level executives appear approachable and collaborative, awesome original/premium written & video content for a digital/tech company, pioneer of programmatic revolution.

Cons

Brands (aka, Huffington Post, Patch) work very separately from corporate AOL including with product management/business operations/most important decisions, sellers rely on specialists too much which makes every sale very expensive and keeps sellers' knowledge relatively poor of company's products, consumer experiences are not reaching scale successfully, mobile consumer experiences are not invested in enough, decision making is vague and ambiguous, direction of AOL corporate is not clear, horrible external corporate branding is not getting fixed so consumer perception of AOL brand is still poor, politics with industry personality corporate leaders, talent/skill varies widely (not an exceptional standard throughout the company)

I get the big bets on programmatic. But we also need to make some bets on consumer experience with some refreshed talent on a corporate level (bigger level than just within a brand). Maybe some acquisitions in our near future? Also, product need some time to breathe and cultivate with resources dedicated to them if they were allowed to initiate. We'll never create anything good if we don't allow it to grow.

Everything went well until they sold the group I was working for.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Beverly Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Beverly Hills, CA

I have been working at AOL full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits, excellent office environment.

Cons

When they were selling the group they kept us in the dark, we had no idea what was happening with our jobs.

Roll of the Dice

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Beverly Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at AOL full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good paying, swank office (Beverly Hills), fun place, covered underground parking, clean restrooms, top of the line equipment, free food, free BEER (yes, you read that right) and free bicycles to ride around the neighborhood on for lunch or dinner

Cons

So the all of the above sounds great, right? Well, trouble in paradise hits when you have constant lack of job security! AOL is kind of a dysfunctional company, constantly trying to re-invent itself. Currently it's under the dominion of Arianna Huffington, who, on a whim, decided she didn't need my branch of the AOL government anymore! And it doesn't help when your left kind of directionless, which is due to poor communication from management. Although the flip-side to that coin might be ok if you don't like someone hovering over your shoulder all the time...

Talk to people underneath you more often and it won't be so awkward when you check in on them every three weeks!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The best internship I've ever had with the best co-workers I've ever had

Current Employee - Sales & Advertising Intern  in  Beverly Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Sales & Advertising Intern in Beverly Hills, CA

I have been working at AOL as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great co-workers, encouraging learning environment, great benefits

Cons

The only con was that interns didn't get benefits, but then again interns don't receive health benefits anywhere else! AOL pays their interns, very well too, while many companies don't pay their interns at all

Still so much potential..

Former Employee - Technical Manager  in  Beverly Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Manager in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at AOL

Pros

People were fantastic, challenging problems, plenty of room for positive influences to thrive. The company had a great campus, flexible work hours, and lots of perks.

Cons

Slow product cycle, waterfall methodology to development, not up to speed with more recent technologies. Upper management sits miles and miles away, and is disjointed from their employeees and from the products being developed. The company is in need of dropping their fleeting assets and get the talent they still have working in-house to start building world-class products again. Yet another problem: many of the brilliant talent they had working have left the company years ago, and they struggle to compete with getting top-tier talent in more recent years.

Let the engineers, engineeer again.

Worked for AOL? Contribute to the Community!