AOL Reviews

Reset
3.6
AOL Chairman and CEO Tim Armstrong
Tim Armstrong

Pros
  • Very good work life balance in genera (in 86 reviews)

• Or if you want to work from home (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Major shifts in vision and senior management (in 27 reviews)

• The department you work in determines what kind of work life balance you will have (in 11 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Work hard, play hard.

Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at AOL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

AOL takes fun seriously. There are always activities like happy hours, group outings, company parties. AOL isn't cheap either. The events that the company hosts never has a shortage of booze or food. There are other random perks like celebrities that visit the office and come talk to the employees and we're given the chance to ask them anything random question. There are ping pong tables, NAP ROOMS, snacks, and amazing/ passionate people. Overall, great place to work.

Cons

I didn't have much of a work life balance, but it all depends on your team and the nature of your job.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Great Job.

2. Stable and fun group

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at AOL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company had very flexible work hours. Most of the time, the environment and people were enjoyable to work with. Technology was fun while it lasted.

Cons

There are lots of lazy employees and that puts more strain on others. This is a very title driven company that needs change their attitude with listening to their employees instead of just Senior management.

Advice to Management

Please treat your employees with respect even if their title doesn't start with director, vp, senior. Title driven company needs

3. Great Work Environment

I worked at AOL full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Intelligent Collaborative People - Loved who I worked with

Cons

Frequent changes in direction could be frustrating, but constantly adjusting to the market is a good thing.

5. wonderful, fun, energetic

I worked at AOL full-time

Pros

friendly staff, a lot of perks, great work environment, a lot of support from fellow employees

Cons

stress when nearing a deadline, otherwise there aren't really any complaints

Advice to Management

I would offer more room to grow and perhaps more casual meetings about upcoming projects.

6. Wonderful place to work but managment needs to stop celebrating on the ten yard line.

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at AOL (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great comp, relaxed workplace environment,, friendly and caring co-workers, and great training/education for employees on products and industry trends. I truly care about the folks I work with and I would gladly work overtime to make sure the job gets down because I feel I have a meaningful impact on the company and my clients.

Cons

We tend to celebrate on the ten yard line especially with regarding products. When we build our own products instead of via M&E, the products are too late to the market and lack feature sets that would truly make them industry leaders. In short, we are always tending to play catch up in the marketplace.

Advice to Management

It seems recently you are trying to do too much with too little and then over-selling what we can actually do. Please ask what we can do you keep you happy and with Aol instead of being interested in what keeps shareholders and management happy. Recently we have lost too many good people because they are not asking us what they can do to help with career paths.

7. So close to success...

Current Employee - Account Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Director in New York, NY

I have been working at AOL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to grow professionally. Great co-workers.

Cons

Constant change, lack of clarity on roles and responsibilities.

Advice to Management

Head out of the clouds; get out on the street.

8. Architect

I have been working at AOL full-time

Pros

great place to work and growth

Cons

some areas of the company still use old/legacy technologies

9. Great Place

I have been working at AOL full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

AOL continues to be a great place to work for. Diversified areas including advertising, paid services, mail. Great benefits, great CEO.

Cons

Changing priorities. Some lack of direction at times. Online technical education is not that great.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees. Some of the employees have great ideas but are never taken seriously.

10. Good place to work

I have been working at AOL full-time

Pros

Lots of potential with new verizon deal

Cons

Not a lot of mobility in regional offices

Good times, and not-so-good times

Former Employee - Senior Editor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Editor in New York, NY

I worked at AOL full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

At times, this was a fun, pleasant, energetic place to work, and I was happy to be part of the team. Benefits were good, there was flexibility, and everyone was given fairly free rein to do their best work. Especially if you are on a team that is part one of the "good" properties, the ones Tim Armstrong mentions at the big meetings, you will feel positive about being at AOL. And during the periods when they were relaxed about telecommuting, that was a great benefit.

Cons

The culture of frequent stealth layoffs is a terrible waste of talent that saps the otherwise good morale (and I felt that way long before I got pink-slipped). I saw far too many instances of management cutting strong performers in order "reallocate their positions," and then watched those spots be filled by people whose talents mirrored the folks who'd been laid off. What I rarely saw was anyone simply offered a chance switch to one those new jobs. Terrible waste of institutional memory, too. Beyond that, they work people HARD. Long days, and managers answering emails at 2 a.m. were common.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees more like resources to be valued, and less like expenses you need to trim, or cogs to be replaced by other, identical cogs.

RSS Feed </> Embed