AOL Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

1. Well meaning, but lots of red tap

I worked at AOL full-time

Pros

Leadership is very willing to hear ideas and there's room for advancement. They welcome creativity.

Cons

Getting things done is difficult. There's layers of red tape and it's not always easy to execute on ideas that people like. There's sometime little incentive for managers to try out new things.

2. Great spot

Pros

It's awesome, and the culture is very fun. I really enjoy the happy hour and common space events they put on for us.

Cons

Not a lot of structure.

3. Stable and fun group

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at AOL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company had very flexible work hours. Most of the time, the environment and people were enjoyable to work with. Technology was fun while it lasted.

Cons

There are lots of lazy employees and that puts more strain on others. This is a very title driven company that needs change their attitude with listening to their employees instead of just Senior management.

Advice to Management

Please treat your employees with respect even if their title doesn't start with director, vp, senior. Title driven company needs

5. Great Work Environment

I worked at AOL full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Intelligent Collaborative People - Loved who I worked with

Cons

Frequent changes in direction could be frustrating, but constantly adjusting to the market is a good thing.

6. A disaster

I have been working at AOL full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They had a great Coke Freestyle machine.

Cons

Terrible company. Terrible management. People fired all the time. CEO more concerned with people he likes than their talent level. Constant worrying about getting fired. No real direction.

7. wonderful, fun, energetic

I worked at AOL full-time

Pros

friendly staff, a lot of perks, great work environment, a lot of support from fellow employees

Cons

stress when nearing a deadline, otherwise there aren't really any complaints

Advice to Management

I would offer more room to grow and perhaps more casual meetings about upcoming projects.

8. Wonderful place to work but managment needs to stop celebrating on the ten yard line.

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at AOL (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great comp, relaxed workplace environment,, friendly and caring co-workers, and great training/education for employees on products and industry trends. I truly care about the folks I work with and I would gladly work overtime to make sure the job gets down because I feel I have a meaningful impact on the company and my clients.

Cons

We tend to celebrate on the ten yard line especially with regarding products. When we build our own products instead of via M&E, the products are too late to the market and lack feature sets that would truly make them industry leaders. In short, we are always tending to play catch up in the marketplace.

Advice to Management

It seems recently you are trying to do too much with too little and then over-selling what we can actually do. Please ask what we can do you keep you happy and with Aol instead of being interested in what keeps shareholders and management happy. Recently we have lost too many good people because they are not asking us what they can do to help with career paths.

9. Prepare to be flexible

Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AOL full-time

Pros

Aside from where Aol is positioning itself within the marketplace, the culture and people are the some of the best reasons to work at Aol.

Cons

There are a lot of changes that occur often. Prepare to be flexible if you want to work at a company that is evolving so quickly.

Advice to Management

Provide more support to the offices outside of headquarters.

10. Good Place to work, Nice work/life balance

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Dulles, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Dulles, VA

I have been working at AOL full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Top of the line equipment provided to developers. Great work-life balance exists. Everyone is so relaxed and easy to talk to. Upper management is very transparent. Great benefits and facilities at work.

Cons

Promotions are rare unless you jump teams. Politics drives promotions mostly. Every org works in their own silos lately. No standardized tools across the whole company, everyone used what they find the best.

Advice to Management

Career growth/Promotions of employee are based on Politics

11. Hoping for the best

Pros

Work & Life Balance Tech Attitude

Cons

Merger issues Isolated location Advancement Transitioning to new business

RSS Feed </> Embed