AOL Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

1. Architect

I have been working at AOL full-time

Pros

great place to work and growth

Cons

some areas of the company still use old/legacy technologies

2. So close to success...

Current Employee - Account Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Director in New York, NY

I have been working at AOL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to grow professionally. Great co-workers.

Cons

Constant change, lack of clarity on roles and responsibilities.

Advice to Management

Head out of the clouds; get out on the street.

Wavering in the wind

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

Pros

Culture, fun, benefits and salary

Cons

Extremely unstable due to frequent layoffs of smart, accomplished people. No one is safe from the wrath of frequently changing priorities.

Advice to Management

None. Bullheads won't take advice.

5. Great Place

I have been working at AOL full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

AOL continues to be a great place to work for. Diversified areas including advertising, paid services, mail. Great benefits, great CEO.

Cons

Changing priorities. Some lack of direction at times. Online technical education is not that great.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees. Some of the employees have great ideas but are never taken seriously.

6. Good place to work

I have been working at AOL full-time

Pros

Lots of potential with new verizon deal

Cons

Not a lot of mobility in regional offices

Good times, and not-so-good times

Former Employee - Senior Editor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Editor in New York, NY

I worked at AOL full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

At times, this was a fun, pleasant, energetic place to work, and I was happy to be part of the team. Benefits were good, there was flexibility, and everyone was given fairly free rein to do their best work. Especially if you are on a team that is part one of the "good" properties, the ones Tim Armstrong mentions at the big meetings, you will feel positive about being at AOL. And during the periods when they were relaxed about telecommuting, that was a great benefit.

Cons

The culture of frequent stealth layoffs is a terrible waste of talent that saps the otherwise good morale (and I felt that way long before I got pink-slipped). I saw far too many instances of management cutting strong performers in order "reallocate their positions," and then watched those spots be filled by people whose talents mirrored the folks who'd been laid off. What I rarely saw was anyone simply offered a chance switch to one those new jobs. Terrible waste of institutional memory, too. Beyond that, they work people HARD. Long days, and managers answering emails at 2 a.m. were common.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees more like resources to be valued, and less like expenses you need to trim, or cogs to be replaced by other, identical cogs.

8. Was good for a while

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in New York, NY

I worked at AOL (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of work/life perks, great office, not too much travel.

Cons

Limited opportunity for new experiences. While AOL has an admirable set of values, the reality doesn't always live up to them.

9. Great Job, Great People

Former Employee - Senior Software QA Engineer in Dulles, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Software QA Engineer in Dulles, VA

I worked at AOL full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fun workplace. Passionate leadership. Good Pay. I had a really great time working through many different projects.

Cons

Yearly layoffs. Office Locations in expensive cities. I think it would be more effective to actively manage the workforce and manage out the people who are not performing. There are many situations where weak performers caused frustration among the more talented employees.

Advice to Management

I think that there is a great core group of individuals who started this company and grew it to be the predominant internet company in the mid to late 90s. I was inspired and proud to work for a company that accomplished so much in terms of bringing technology to the masses. Unfortunately, we didn't have the vision to capitalize on our captive audience. I feel like we could have been more revolutionary.

10. Meh

Former Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director in New York, NY

I worked at AOL full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay but last few years the increases have decreased; good benefits

Cons

Lack of clear direction; poor upper management choices; lack of vision

Advice to Management

Verizon, you need to house at the top -- being the CEO's college roommate or his admin at Google does not mean you are going to make a successful executive (and trust me, they don't).

11. Meh--It's ok

Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Dulles, VA
    Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Dulles, VA

Pros

Mostly good people in the trenches doing the real work, lots of new blood, generally happy and healthy environment. Some interesting work.

Cons

Management could use a little polishing. Like anywhere, first level managers are hit and miss, though by and large I think they put generally good people into the roles--it's just not everybody is well-suited to it. But at upper levels things just seem a little kooky as projects go from ultra-high priority to canceled overnight, and future plans shift on a dime. And then there's the whole "if we just find the right magic technology, all of this will be EASY!" attitude.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring the good people at the trenches. They are what is keeping you afloat at this stage. Work a little harder at finding people for the higher level management slots who are not simply buzzword aware.

RSS Feed </> Embed