AOL

AOL Reviews in San Francisco, CA

Updated Mar 24, 2014

AOL Chairman and CEO Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong

Pros
  • flexible work/life balance (although hours can be long)(in 82 reviews)

• Or if you want to work from home(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management talks the talk, but doesn't walk the walk(in 27 reviews)

• The department you work in determines what kind of work life balance you will have(in 10 reviews)

16 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

2 Year Max

Senior Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGenerous Salary, Free Food, WFH

ConsNo growth opportunities, poor management, treat employees badly

Advice to Senior ManagementTAKE CARE OF YOUR EMPLOYEES!

Be with dynamic people in an innovative company.

Sales (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsCommunity connections through civil service activities and team building workshops, well known brand in the marketplace who is providing the only other technology stack rivaling Google, great benefits and competitive salary.

ConsA large company is often difficult to navigate, some divisions are closer linked than others to the main corporate structure.

Advice to Senior Managementcontinue to take care of your best people and they will stay

Smooth experience

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsSan Francisco office is well-designed and intended to be a collaborative work environment. Benefits are good, pay is good. HR/infrastructure works well and isn't full of red tape.

ConsAlways in fear that the company is going to go under one day. I believe in our mission and our goals, but it's continually not reflected in the numbers.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The Internet portal with the brightest future potential.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsAOL has acquired and established partnerships with the best in class and strongest companies in all of the online arena allowing them to reach 90% of the Internet. Leadership is very transparent about results and good about recognizing employees for success. The new leadership team is moving quickly to integrate all acquired companies to form a unified organization that would be very competitive to Google, Yahoo and Microsoft. The company truly values training and development with the existence of AOLU (University) and work life balance in not driving employees over the edge. The culture is very down to earth and friendly.

ConsThe negative and legacy perceptions of the company being associated with dial-up subscribers. Many do not understand the new business model of AOL.com now being free and accessible by anyone. There is a lot of change going on within the organization, especially now as integration is occurring with all of the acquired brands so one must be flexible and able to adapt to changing structures, teams and directions that are designed with the company's best interests in mind. It's difficult to see just how large the company is without working in the Dulles or New York offices where the company started and is now headquartered.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsult with employees more frequently on internal changes through surveys.

Not like the AOL we all know

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsAOL is one of the first tech companies, but still manages to stay current - smart acquisitions, releasing better technology and products, positive and fun workplace environment.

ConsAs with any large corporation, positions are very specialized with less room to grow. Red tape, negative/unfavorable public image from AOL's dial-up service (working on this)

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen there are meetings asking for feedback from employees, act on the feedback and let it be known that you have heard them.

Good

Marketing Manager (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat People, good salary, great snacks

ConsNo money in the place at all

Advice to Senior Managementbetter filters on hiring as they dont know who is in the house

Herding Kittens

Executive Assistant (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsAOL offered very fair, if not superior compensation. The people I worked with were great, and clearly represented some of the best minds in the industry. The expectations given in terms of workload were entirely reasonable, and allowed me to find a great balance of work/personal life. AOL offered a superior benefits package that included vision and dental. In addition, working at AOL provided me with lots of opportunities for professional development.

ConsYou are ultimately working for the people who bring the internet to our grandparents, and whom still have not found their new identity in the DSL and Cable connected internet world.

Advice to Senior ManagementDear Management of AOL,

I know that you are riding an ever aging dinosaur, and trying to figure out how to best monetize it before it dies. Be nimble. Change with times. Maybe, just maybe, there might still be some life in that old dinosaur.

Advertising Sales Director

Advertising Sales Director (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsAOL has been called "the dirt road to the information super highway". It was one of the first businesses on the internet. It has a long history. AOL has a product for everything on the web giving employees exposure to everything. It's content owned business connects with a great audience. It's a great training ground as an introduction to digital sales.

ConsAOL can be a challenge in getting anything done. It still acts like a big company with many departments. It can be very difficult to navigate and get approvals to get business from beginning to end. People don't own a project or their work.

Advice to Senior Managementsimplify. remove the politics. champion talent. Know who you are.

Outside Sales Professional

Senior Advertising Manager (Former Employee) Lafayette, CA

ProsThe Product, Outside Sales, Customer Service, Sales.

ConsGetting Laid Off. Mico-managing even while exceeding goals.

I bring structure to chaos. It soul sucking

Manager of Systems Administration (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros- Good benefits
    - Great people
    - Flexible hours
    - Flexible locations

Cons- Too much bureaucracy
    - Moves to slowly
    - Some parts of the organization are immature

Advice to Senior Management- dont leak your master plan, man

Worked for AOL? Contribute to the Community!