AOL

AOL Reviews in Washington, DC

Updated Jul 10, 2014

AOL Chairman and CEO Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong

Pros
  • flexible work/life balance (although hours can be long)(in 82 reviews)

• Or if you want to work from home(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management talks the talk, but doesn't walk the walk(in 27 reviews)

• The department you work in determines what kind of work life balance you will have(in 10 reviews)

205 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

great company

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Dulles, VA

ProsAwesome campus, free parking, great cafeteria. Dressing casual everyday was a bonus.

ConsThe company's future is unknown, so there is a sense of uncertainty.

Advice to Senior ManagementMAke employment options more secure.

Lots of great opportunities

Director (Current Employee) Dulles, VA

ProsSmart people to work with, lots of interesting work. The industry is always changing so the environment is full of risk and opportunity. The company rewards great work.

ConsLots of ups and downs. It could be easy to get caught up in a layoff if you find yourself in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate more about acquisitions and support their effective integration via PMO. ALL the fat is gone from our current headcount. Now is the time to invest in people to accomplish our ambitious goals.

Manager On Duty - NOC

MOD NOC (Current Employee) Ashburn, VA

ProsThey provide some great compensation

Consnone that i am aware of.

Advice to Senior Managementcommunication

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company and culture. But lots of changes causing layoffs

Systems Administrator (Former Employee) Dulles, VA

ProsAOL offers good benefits. The general culture is easy going and family oriented. A lot of great talented people working there. During the early years the company was top notch providing employees with lots of training and opportunities to grow. Not so much now.

ConsCompany is trying to turn around causing lots of restructuring and layoffs. For the last 2 years there seems to be layoffs every 6 months. That is causing a lot of good talent to jump ship. It doesn't have anything to do with miss management but just a res structure of business.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe opened and honest to employees about the future of the different departments and company over all.

Always worried about layoffs

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Dulles, VA

Pros-learned a lot
    -coworkers are great
    -casual work environment
    -flexible work/life balance (although hours can be long)

Cons-always worried about layoffs
    -management very short-term profit focused vs long term growth
    -struggling to redefine itself
    -no room for growth, especially in Virginia

Advice to Senior ManagementExecutive turnover is too high. Need executives who motivate employees to innovate and get back on top of the Internet.

Family friendly

Business Development Manager (Current Employee) Ashburn, VA

ProsExcellent family friendly environment. Benefits are good. Not great but good. Success at AOL depends on what the company is doing at the time. In order to succeed one must roll with the punches and adapt quickly to the ever-changing environment.

ConsSad to say there are a lot of lay-offs.

Reinvention is happening

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Dulles, VA

ProsGreat work life balance. Enjoy working with many accomplished and smart people. Very supportive of employees in terms of offering opportunities for training and education. AOL is a diamond in the rough, on it's way to shine again.

ConsLack of clarity from management on strategy and company objectives. Slow to embrace changes in market.

Good benefits. Too many layoffs

Director (Former Employee) Sterling, VA

ProsMost employees are great to work with. The goal of the CEO is a good one.

ConsSenior management talks the talk, but doesn't walk the walk. Execution on CEO's goals is very sloppy.

Advice to Senior ManagementWalk the walk. Layoffs have made all teams skittish. Need to tear off the bandaid and get to work on rebuilding a reasonable culture.

Constant Downsizings got tiring

Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) Dulles, VA

ProsVacation policy and most bosses allow for flexible hours and working from home. Good compensation and benefits. In the business of helping people.

ConsConstant threat of downsizings, now occurring quarterly. State they are transparent but are not. Cliques.

Old Thinking, Lots of Layoffs, But great opportunity

Senior Product Manager (Current Employee) Dulles, VA

ProsAOL is a great opportunity for young professionals who need to get in with a major corporation and mid-career pros who aren't really looking for too much career growth. You'll work on a lot of different projects with some very intelligent people. The work schedule is flexible and benefits are excellent. Most managers balance work and play very well. There's also budget for professional development that you would be foolish not to take advantage of - it's FREE education!

ConsDon't expect to be challenged too often as most new initiatives are chosen and pursued via a bottleneck process. The company re-hires a lot of former AOL employees instead of churning the "old thinkers" out and replacing them with younger, fresher mindsets. Layoffs seem to be a way of doing business and achieving numbers so make sure you have your plate full before the quarter comes to a close.

Worked for AOL? Contribute to the Community!