APA

APA CEO, EVP, and Director Norman B. Anderson

Norman B. Anderson

Fulfilling

Production Supervisor (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGreat benefits, happy work environment, great people

ConsBureaucracy can be frustrating; pay levels can be lower than average.

Advice to Senior ManagementAn incentive program would be worth considering.

Database Production Work

Database Producer (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsI was able to perform the work from a remote location.

ConsThere were no drawbacks to doing the work for the APA.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have no advice.

Non-Profit that Cares

ProsGood benefits, employee programs, federal holidays, on-site gym, easy to balance work/life commitments

ConsLower salaries, require more advanced degrees for most positions that make salaries that can sustain you

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I like it because it keeps professionals actualized

Clinic Psychology (Current Employee) Humacao, PR

ProsIt keep people actualized, has many good things, describe the different types of professionals in psychology, investigation, psychology clinic, different type of studies

Consbeing a part of apa is really expensive, the activities are distant and require much time and dedication need more literature, give out free educations

Great employee benefits but not a lot of high achievers

Pros• 100% of mental health care/therapy covered except for the $20 copay! No matter what therapist you choose to see--it's covered. I can't stress how incredible this is, and I hope more employees are taking advantage of it. Please don't take this for granted bc this benefit does not exist elsewhere.
    • They offer a lot of health promoting activities to employees during work hours that are either free (2 gyms), or cost just a dollar to attend (zoomba, meditation, yoga, pilates, and discounted massages)
    • The organization pushes staff recognition; there are often events that promote sending notes to coworkers thanking them for a job well done. Cheesy? Yes. However, I can't deny feeling good when I get one of those from a coworker. It's really taught me the importance of recognizing and acknowledging someone's hard work.
    • Great professional development training courses offered on site during work hours.
    • Interesting Brown Bag seminars on topics related to psychology and health.

Cons• I have been disappointed to discover that, while the organization stresses working the full 7.5 hour days, there are higher level staff that don't abide by this. Most work the hours they should, but the few that don't make it difficult to work alongside with when you're putting in the hours and they aren't.
    • DC attracts a lot of high achievers, but many of them aren't at APA. People work, but they don't often reach for the stars, or put in that little extra to go above and beyond the call of duty. For example, the organization is currently trying to push psychology's inclusion in the government's long term plan for integrative health care, which is GREAT and essential for the field of psychology, which has always gone unrecognized by medicine. In my opinion though, they aren't doing enough. There is so much more they can do, so much potential, but they just aren't standing up and taking action in a big way.
    • There is something about the members of this organization, that lends them to be really emotional, opinionated, and at times, unprofessional. I think it boils down to the type of people who are attracted to this field, but I've often been surprised to read some inflammatory emails sent by a member through a professional listserve.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile the staff recognition/appreciation activities are great, I think it's imperative to find a way to encourage people to work above and beyond. People do just enough to get by, and the potential to do more is there in a field that needs so much more public recognition. Work to reduce the stigma of mental health and bring in passionate, hard working people to do it. And remember, these individuals are not necessarily Ph.D's, masters-level, and at times, even bachelor-level professionals have the passion and expertise to do a bang up job.

Great place if you have your doctorate, otherwise, its only OK.

Analyst (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGreat co-workers (but this is highly dependent upon what directorate and/or office you are in). Competitive 401K benefit and competitive health benefits package.

ConsLOW salaries, very minimal room for advancement unless you have or will be receiving your doctoral degree. Even then, if it is not in the field of psychology, you will experience discrimination and psychology doctorates will receive a preference! The members tend to be ungrateful, rude, inept, and overwhelming at times (compared to other member association populations). During economic slump of 2008-2010, employees COL raises and other benefits were stripped away, while executives were exempt from this AND were even being offered incentive packages so "the best talent could be retained".

Advice to Senior ManagementLess red-tape. APA is so large and TOP HEAVY it takes forever to get the littlest task accomplished because it needs to be approved by everyone in the organization. Realize that because someone has a doctorate in psychology does not mean they are an expert at running administrative tasks within a member association! Many other people specialize in that field and other tasks integral to running an organization and are better equipped for the position. Stop discriminating against non-doctorates and non-psychology holding doctorates, its frankly ridiculous and archaic.

Great benefits and people, terrible management and supervising

Account Representative (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGreat benefits such as flexible with a work-life/ healthy lifestyle balance. Awesome $1 yoga pilates and other classes. A room to sleep if you are tired, gym use all day, fun activities with entire APA colleagues that are sponsored by building management. Over all its a good place to work, and with the exception of some supervisors.

ConsNo bonuses, no commision, hard to get a raise, hard to find a job that doesnt require a PHD or a masters or a focus in Psychology.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a lot of discrimination happeneing. A lot of problems with management and supervisors taking advantage of their positions. Not equal, for example my boss takes 3 hours of lunch and gym time and I can only go to the gym before or after work hours. In my dept there is a lot of micromanaging because the supervisor is scared of someone else who is coming down on her but for no apparent reason.

Very positive experience; the company is centered around work-life balance.

ProsWork-Life balance; opportunity to work in different positions throughout company departments

ConsLike many companies creativity is not valued; I've had several experiences of sexism/sexist comments (with the same employee) but it is ignored by managers because he has been there a long time

Great environment to work in. They have a diverse approach to mental health!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPassionate people
    Great location
    casual atmosphere

ConsNot much growth within org

Wouldn't recommend to friends and family

ProsGreat Work life balance
    Lots of professional development opportunities available to those who are early in their career.

ConsLack of management accountability
    Low pay for most employees
    Lack of job growth

Worked for APA? Contribute to the Community!