APA

3.2

APA CEO, EVP, and Director Norman B. Anderson
Norman B. Anderson

Freelancer

I have been working at APA as a contractor

Pros

Nice, friendly staff with good communication skills

Cons

unpredictable work; now outsourcing all to another company

Great internship experience!

Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at APA as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Office culture was extremely friendly; people made me feel very welcome, which contributed to a sense that most people enjoy their job and their impact it has on the larger world of psychology. Great location!

Cons

Sometimes weird issues would arise in terms of murky hierarchy/ who was really in charge of a project and who really got credit. Similarly, I worked on a specific report, and dealing with both APA vision & goals as well as the personal goals of academics writing the report was sometimes difficult and a drain on resources.

Easy, but everyone is very complacent.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at APA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Easy going, flexible schedule, fun events, stress free. This is not a place you would hate coming to every day because of the culture or your co workers.

Cons

Very little opportunity for growth, no professional development, very process oriented - process is sometimes put ahead of final goal, slow moving.

I would recommend changing the culture into one that develops employees more. They seem to hire with the mindset that you will do the same job from day 1 until you decide to leave with the same level of competency. Invest in your employees! Help them grow professionally.

Potential to be a great company...but...

Former Employee - Accountant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Accountant in Washington, DC

I worked at APA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Under my manager I was able to grow and learn from this position (finance). The benefits are awesome - 5 weeks of vacation per year for new staff and other great benefits. Hours were also a plus - 9-5 straight through the week. I've worked only a few weekends, but only because of deadlines in the Finance department.

Cons

Policies...policies...and more policies. The company is full of them and management follows the policies to the extreme at times. There isn't much flexibility in the work hours even though the same work can be done at different times. Trying to change policies for efficiency purposes will surely be met with resistance. Each department acts very independently from others and there is a lack of cohesion.

Trust your employees - let them grow and stop the micromanagement.

Fulfilling

Former Employee - Production Supervisor in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Production Supervisor in Washington, DC

I worked at APA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, happy work environment, great people

Cons

Bureaucracy can be frustrating; pay levels can be lower than average.

An incentive program would be worth considering.

Database Production Work

Former Employee - Database Producer in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Database Producer in Baltimore, MD

I worked at APA as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I was able to perform the work from a remote location.

Cons

There were no drawbacks to doing the work for the APA.

I have no advice.

Non-Profit that Cares

I have been working at APA

Pros

Good benefits, employee programs, federal holidays, on-site gym, easy to balance work/life commitments

Cons

Lower salaries, require more advanced degrees for most positions that make salaries that can sustain you

I like it because it keeps professionals actualized

Current Employee - Clinic Psychology in Humacao, PR
    Current Employee - Clinic Psychology in Humacao, PR

I have been working at APA as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

It keep people actualized, has many good things, describe the different types of professionals in psychology, investigation, psychology clinic, different type of studies

Cons

being a part of apa is really expensive, the activities are distant and require much time and dedication need more literature, give out free educations

Great employee benefits but not a lot of high achievers

I have been working at APA

Pros

• 100% of mental health care/therapy covered except for the $20 copay! No matter what therapist you choose to see--it's covered. I can't stress how incredible this is, and I hope more employees are taking advantage of it. Please don't take this for granted bc this benefit does not exist elsewhere.
    • They offer a lot of health promoting activities to employees during work hours that are either free (2 gyms), or cost just a dollar to attend (zoomba, meditation, yoga, pilates, and discounted massages)
    • The organization pushes staff recognition; there are often events that promote sending notes to coworkers thanking them for a job well done. Cheesy? Yes. However, I can't deny feeling good when I get one of those from a coworker. It's really taught me the importance of recognizing and acknowledging someone's hard work.
    • Great professional development training courses offered on site during work hours.
    • Interesting Brown Bag seminars on topics related to psychology and health.

Cons

• I have been disappointed to discover that, while the organization stresses working the full 7.5 hour days, there are higher level staff that don't abide by this. Most work the hours they should, but the few that don't make it difficult to work alongside with when you're putting in the hours and they aren't.
    • DC attracts a lot of high achievers, but many of them aren't at APA. People work, but they don't often reach for the stars, or put in that little extra to go above and beyond the call of duty. For example, the organization is currently trying to push psychology's inclusion in the government's long term plan for integrative health care, which is GREAT and essential for the field of psychology, which has always gone unrecognized by medicine. In my opinion though, they aren't doing enough. There is so much more they can do, so much potential, but they just aren't standing up and taking action in a big way.
    • There is something about the members of this organization, that lends them to be really emotional, opinionated, and at times, unprofessional. I think it boils down to the type of people who are attracted to this field, but I've often been surprised to read some inflammatory emails sent by a member through a professional listserve.

While the staff recognition/appreciation activities are great, I think it's imperative to find a way to encourage people to work above and beyond. People do just enough to get by, and the potential to do more is there in a field that needs so much more public recognition. Work to reduce the stigma of mental health and bring in passionate, hard working people to do it. And remember, these individuals are not necessarily Ph.D's, masters-level, and at times, even bachelor-level professionals have the passion and expertise to do a bang up job.

Great place if you have your doctorate, otherwise, its only OK.

Former Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at APA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great co-workers (but this is highly dependent upon what directorate and/or office you are in). Competitive 401K benefit and competitive health benefits package.

Cons

LOW salaries, very minimal room for advancement unless you have or will be receiving your doctoral degree. Even then, if it is not in the field of psychology, you will experience discrimination and psychology doctorates will receive a preference! The members tend to be ungrateful, rude, inept, and overwhelming at times (compared to other member association populations). During economic slump of 2008-2010, employees COL raises and other benefits were stripped away, while executives were exempt from this AND were even being offered incentive packages so "the best talent could be retained".

Less red-tape. APA is so large and TOP HEAVY it takes forever to get the littlest task accomplished because it needs to be approved by everyone in the organization. Realize that because someone has a doctorate in psychology does not mean they are an expert at running administrative tasks within a member association! Many other people specialize in that field and other tasks integral to running an organization and are better equipped for the position. Stop discriminating against non-doctorates and non-psychology holding doctorates, its frankly ridiculous and archaic.

APA Photos

Washington DC - American Psychological Association (Photo thanks to Flickr user thisisbossi, available under by-nc-sa v2.0)
Corporate HQ
Washington, D.C. American Psychological Association (Photo thanks to Flickr user orangeateblue, available under by-nc-sa v2.0)

+ Add Photo