APA Reviews in Washington, DC

15 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great internship experience!

Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at APA as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Office culture was extremely friendly; people made me feel very welcome, which contributed to a sense that most people enjoy their job and their impact it has on the larger world of psychology. Great location!

Cons

Sometimes weird issues would arise in terms of murky hierarchy/ who was really in charge of a project and who really got credit. Similarly, I worked on a specific report, and dealing with both APA vision & goals as well as the personal goals of academics writing the report was sometimes difficult and a drain on resources.

Easy, but everyone is very complacent.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at APA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Easy going, flexible schedule, fun events, stress free. This is not a place you would hate coming to every day because of the culture or your co workers.

Cons

Very little opportunity for growth, no professional development, very process oriented - process is sometimes put ahead of final goal, slow moving.

I would recommend changing the culture into one that develops employees more. They seem to hire with the mindset that you will do the same job from day 1 until you decide to leave with the same level of competency. Invest in your employees! Help them grow professionally.

Potential to be a great company...but...

Former Employee - Accountant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Accountant in Washington, DC

I worked at APA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Under my manager I was able to grow and learn from this position (finance). The benefits are awesome - 5 weeks of vacation per year for new staff and other great benefits. Hours were also a plus - 9-5 straight through the week. I've worked only a few weekends, but only because of deadlines in the Finance department.

Cons

Policies...policies...and more policies. The company is full of them and management follows the policies to the extreme at times. There isn't much flexibility in the work hours even though the same work can be done at different times. Trying to change policies for efficiency purposes will surely be met with resistance. Each department acts very independently from others and there is a lack of cohesion.

Trust your employees - let them grow and stop the micromanagement.

Fulfilling

Former Employee - Production Supervisor in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Production Supervisor in Washington, DC

I worked at APA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, happy work environment, great people

Cons

Bureaucracy can be frustrating; pay levels can be lower than average.

An incentive program would be worth considering.

Great place if you have your doctorate, otherwise, its only OK.

Former Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at APA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great co-workers (but this is highly dependent upon what directorate and/or office you are in). Competitive 401K benefit and competitive health benefits package.

Cons

LOW salaries, very minimal room for advancement unless you have or will be receiving your doctoral degree. Even then, if it is not in the field of psychology, you will experience discrimination and psychology doctorates will receive a preference! The members tend to be ungrateful, rude, inept, and overwhelming at times (compared to other member association populations). During economic slump of 2008-2010, employees COL raises and other benefits were stripped away, while executives were exempt from this AND were even being offered incentive packages so "the best talent could be retained".

Less red-tape. APA is so large and TOP HEAVY it takes forever to get the littlest task accomplished because it needs to be approved by everyone in the organization. Realize that because someone has a doctorate in psychology does not mean they are an expert at running administrative tasks within a member association! Many other people specialize in that field and other tasks integral to running an organization and are better equipped for the position. Stop discriminating against non-doctorates and non-psychology holding doctorates, its frankly ridiculous and archaic.

Great benefits and people, terrible management and supervising

Current Employee - Account Representative in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Account Representative in Washington, DC

I have been working at APA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits such as flexible with a work-life/ healthy lifestyle balance. Awesome $1 yoga pilates and other classes. A room to sleep if you are tired, gym use all day, fun activities with entire APA colleagues that are sponsored by building management. Over all its a good place to work, and with the exception of some supervisors.

Cons

No bonuses, no commision, hard to get a raise, hard to find a job that doesnt require a PHD or a masters or a focus in Psychology.

There is a lot of discrimination happeneing. A lot of problems with management and supervisors taking advantage of their positions. Not equal, for example my boss takes 3 hours of lunch and gym time and I can only go to the gym before or after work hours. In my dept there is a lot of micromanaging because the supervisor is scared of someone else who is coming down on her but for no apparent reason.

Very good place to work

Former Employee - PsycINFO Specialist in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - PsycINFO Specialist in Washington, DC

I worked at APA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good work/life balance and flex schedules available. Also, wonderful people work here!

Cons

Not much opportunity for advancement within the organization.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Human Resources Assistant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Human Resources Assistant in Washington, DC

I have been working at APA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture, supportive staff , value work life balance. I found the work I did to be very interesting and engaging. I never really dreaded coming to work at all.

Cons

The usuals that come with non-profits. Salary and benefits could be better.

Like any other professional association, equal amounts of pros & cons

Former Employee - Assistant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Assistant in Washington, DC

I worked at APA part-time (more than an year)

Pros

1. Genuinely strong internal hiring practices
    2. Excellent facilities and highly maintained work space
    3. Slightly above average pay relative to the rest of DC
    4. Generous work-life balance for senior management, not so much for other program staff
    5. Convenient location to the Metro, beneficial for commuting staff
    6. Highly competent, reliable IT/web content staff

Cons

1. Hard to retain highly qualified (and perhaps, better suited) temporary employees/interns or recruit new talent, due to their strong internal hiring practices.
    2. Slow, slow work pace. Almost intentionally slow, though this depends on the directorate.
    3. Unfortunately, very little to no interaction or communication between inter-directorate offices. Is practically discouraged, unless you're senior management. Very likely you will never know the person working 2-3 offices or cubicles from you. It's not personal; it's just the office environment.

Would like to see an experiment with open-concept office space. I think it would drastically improve communication and interaction between offices/programs.

Incompetent Management, but a nice place

Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at APA

Pros

great location, good office space

Cons

poor communication, management was incompetent

share info and why you are doing stuff, not just "do it"

APA Photos

Washington DC - American Psychological Association (Photo thanks to Flickr user thisisbossi, available under by-nc-sa v2.0)
Corporate HQ
Washington, D.C. American Psychological Association (Photo thanks to Flickr user orangeateblue, available under by-nc-sa v2.0)

+ Add Photo