APAC Customer Services

Updated July 16, 2014
Updated July 16, 2014
2.4

James P. McGrath

Pros
  • The best reasons to work at a call center: You sit all day and eat as often as you want depending on your supervisor (in 8 reviews)

• quick training, entry level job (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • A substandard call center, with absolute focus on warm bodies to fill their seats to handle call volume (in 17 reviews)

• Upper management doesn't have a clear concept of the 'trenches' (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

19 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Aliright

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative - APAC  in  Green Bay, WI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative - APAC in Green Bay, WI

I worked at APAC Customer Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

This company has excellent training. Time-off is almost always accepted. And this is a fast pace company.

Cons

The company is not stable

Change the work setting and atmosphere and gain stability and be more specific on who they are hiring.

Some good experiences, some bad

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Green Bay, WI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Green Bay, WI

I worked at APAC Customer Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Enjoyed most of the people I worked with. Most of the supervisors were very understanding and fair in applying the company policies, without playing favorites.

Cons

Constantly changing expectations of what counts towards a good rating on your call quality. Along with pressure from higher levels to meet certain goal numbers, making things even more difficult to keep all the call center reps up to date with the most recent changes. Lots of turn over in employees, with very little opportunity to grow beyond your fixed role as a phone representative.

Employees are not replaceable cogs in a machine. When you keep increasing the pressure on them, you wind up in the same kind of downward spiral. The poorer performing ones get failed out. The better performing ones burn out and leave. And you end up with a mediocre level staff which ultimately leads to clients not being satisfied with the work being done on their behalf.

Great for Summer employment, but treated as a number not a person by the higher-ups.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative- Inbound  in  Onalaska, WI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative- Inbound in Onalaska, WI

I worked at APAC Customer Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

Decent money for no experience. They will hire anyone. You get the opportunity to talk to some nice people.

Cons

Only care about your numbers, and your reviews. Will not go to bat for you in negative situations.

Get rid of the bonus system, or at least be honest about the pitfalls of the system. If you want to fix the truancy problem, treat people as people and not as robots. Recognize the job is stressful, and do something nice for employees every now and then.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It has been a life changing experience that has validated my outstanding determination.

Current Employee - Supervisor  in  Onalaska, WI
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Onalaska, WI

I have been working at APAC Customer Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people.
    Great company.
    Challenging environment-call center.

Cons

Expectations are rather high for pay level.

Customer Service Representatives are expected to give excellent Customer Services without the authority to do so.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  La Crosse, WI
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in La Crosse, WI

I have been working at APAC Customer Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

APAC provides a paid training.

Cons

Discuss challenges of Customer Service Representatives with Verizon to improve customer service.

CONTRACT ENDED!

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  Green Bay, WI
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Green Bay, WI

I have been working at APAC Customer Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

Laid back environment, nice people, not too stressfull. Very fast paced!

Cons

Not having a specific seat when you come in everyday.

Keep up the good work.

Let's Be Honest; it's a business not a daycare - if you're not an adult about actually working, don't apply.

Current Employee - Team Leader  in  La Crosse, WI
    Current Employee - Team Leader in La Crosse, WI

I have been working at APAC Customer Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

flexible scheduling w/in reason, base pay for starting out higher than minimum wage - also currently starts out higher with customer service experience, possible to earn more per hour with performance bonuses. gives people who would normally not be hired by other companies a shot, 2+ month training program involving classroom & on the phone training, great people to work with, 4-6 months of the year will have unlimited over-time opportunities, accrue PTO as you work. quarterly awards for performance, attendance, & demonstration of company values, yearly performance based raises. opportunity for advancement is actually rather high compared to other established call centers - you just have to exhibit leadership mentality - meaning don't dis the company that signs your paychecks, comply with requests by management without whining - it's encouraged to speak to your supervisor regarding the business decisions so you understand & they can see that you're a team player.

Cons

high-level off site management team disconnected from the "real" work the employees do, which makes their requests for additional tasks added in unrealistic & unhealthy to employee morale & physical/mental states. on site management staff understands the job, but has to put the additional pressure to complete more tasks, increase performance & attendance as instructed by the off-site, which causes them to be labelled as the 'bad guys'.
    b/c it's a business that's year round, you will work some holidays, and depending on the time of the year & center-wide attendance, you may not be able to take as much time off as you'd like approved. getting a schedule change request put thru depends on the needs of the center - if they need more night reps, your request to change to a 5am-130pm schedule will be denied.- if they need more support on saturdays, your request to have frid-saturdays off will be denied. you will work at least one day of the weekend, and setting up a schedule that gets you 2 days off in a row may be hard unless you're a student/part-time employee.
    recruiters tout the monthly performance bonus, but don't put the reality into it causing employee disatisfaction - it is not hard to get the bonus, if you show up to work, have a good attitude, and work hard to take care of the customers - if you don't show up, you don't get surveys, if you don't get surveys, then if you can't make one of them happy, it hurts your scores worse - if the recruiting dept would actually mention HOW to get the performance bonus & keep it (showing up & actually doing your job), then the employees would have more realistic expectations of how to get it & keep it, causing less frustration when/if it does get lost.
    sometimes, it is about who you know, or so it seems - in the past it's been known that management recommends for promotions based on what they know of a person, not necessarily of their performance - i've seen reps be recommended for training and leaderhsip work even though their comprehension level of material was low, their survey scores were not awesome, and they regularly took unscheduled breaks, convinced their team leaders to code them off the phones just because, & practised call avoidance- just because they were friends with the management. usually clearer heads prevailed, or they were given the chance & failed abysmally - but the fact remained that letting that person try & fail was inefficient & wasteful of company resources & time.
    many long time employees foster attitudes of negativity & have many derogatory things to say about the company, the client, and the management - this is a danger to many veteran call center employees & destroys their chances for advancement...which they then complain & whine about b/c they don't get promoted when someone who's been there less than a year has. people don't seem to realize that just because you've done your position for 3-4 years, that doesn't necessarily mean you will make a good leader...not everyone is a good leader, and sometimes, that truth is not explained to people.
    team leaders are overworked, they try their hardest, but employees who do not seem to want to actually do their job of taking ownership of the calls & using the large amount of online informational resources, take up even more of a team lead's time, causing them to be few & far between when you really need one.

set real expectations for hiring, pay more & get more quality people, enforce the attendance policy rather than letting it slide.

Run Fast, Run Far

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Green Bay, WI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Green Bay, WI

I worked at APAC Customer Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pros to this job are really none, although it does pay some minor bills, if you live at home with your parents who pay for virtually everything.

Cons

Lots!
    No Work/life Balance- they say they care but they do not.
    Uninspired Managers and training. They hire in masses and then fire in masses... They have a huge turn over rate due to poor training, poor benefits, and poor pay.
    Its a cattle call for customer service, you sit in a small two by two desk in row after row of cubicles, calls go to the first available agent and so if you sit at the beginning of a row you may take 100 calls a day while the person next to you takes 50. That is if you are lucky enough to get a desk. Breaks are iffy, lunches are as well, and by God don't ever go to the bathroom outside of that or you will be written up.
    Unprofessional H.R. people, they have got to get it together!
    They make you all these "fun" promises and then in the end crap out of them, and you are supposed to be grateful and kiss butt because you have a job.
    Work place drama is at an all time high, lots of cattiness, lots of back stabbing, and playing of favorites.

That's not even hinting on the crappy calls you take from outraged customers who don't understand you hands are really truly due to corporate policies.

Pay is a joke, instead of paying managers, and oms big money, start with the CSRs which are the bread and butter of the company. Clean house on hr as well. And maybe get some more inspiring decor, and stop packing people in like sardines.

Work for APAC they said, Its a great job they said...

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  La Crosse, WI
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in La Crosse, WI

I have been working at APAC Customer Services part-time for more than a year

Pros

If you need to pay the bills its the job for you. Fast hiring, they'll hire anyone over 18 who is literate, and its decent pay.

Cons

I have never been so disenfranchised in my entire life. I quit college as a business major to move home and help my mom and siblings while my dad was deployed. I got hired within 3 days of applying and thought "I've got decent pay, they say they have a flexible schedule and promote within the company, and this will be a great opportunity for me." I was so naive. First, let’s address this "flexible schedule." Don't buy it. When they say flexible they really mean, "We will require you to work obscene amounts of overtime (3-5 hours minimum, most I ever had to work was 20 in overtime, on top of 40 regular hours) and give you corrective action if you don't work overtime. We will also change your schedule whenever we want, you can "bid" on which shift you want but odds are you will not get it." This week they changed the schedules again with only 2 days of notice, and now I must find childcare because they scheduled me to work on the only day I don't have anyone to watch my son. Speaking of children, if you plan on having one, consider buying short term disability insurance from a third party. I found out I was pregnant in April, and filed my FMLA, short term disability, and leave paperwork in July. Come Dec. 13th I was at work and went into labor in front of my TL and OM and went to the hospital. Dec. 17th I gave birth, Dec. 18th they called asking why I was a no call no show for 4 days. They also called on Christmas day and asked again. As far as leave, I received no short term disability, and they never told me when I was to come back to work. I had contacted my TL and HR team multiple times, and on the 8th week of unpaid leave they told me I had to be in within 3 days or I was fired. Also on the note of overtime, be sure to read your checks, they have been sued multiple times for not paying overtime. The 2nd complaint I have is the "room for advancement" claim. There is room for advancement, but it’s made available to all the wrong people. The people who get made team leads are people who are buddies with management. For example, at the end of my 1st year working at APAC my team received new members fresh out of training. One member was terrible at her job and took more than her share of smoke breaks. When our team leader was hospitalized, this girl got to take over our team of veteran employees during her 3rd week of production, primarily because she was dating the niece of our OM . This was terrible for morale and we lost half of our team because of this. Throughout her time as a team lead she spent most of her time carrying around a guitar practicing music for her band, spinning in office chairs, and having us team members do our own monitors and coaching (which she was supposed to be doing weekly). I have also applied several times to be a TL as well as our GM's administrative assistant and have been rejected, though I have near perfect performance (scoring above average during raise time), good attendance, and whenever my boss has a question about our campaign she asks me. Yet we have so many TLs who don't know anything about the campaign they are working on, they have no idea what policies are, and will frequently give incorrect information, or refuse to help when asked for advice. The TLs are horrible leaders. My 3rd issue is paid time off. You gain paid time off at a pretty good rate, basically twice your average weekly hours, averaged over the last year. However, heaven forbid they actually let you use it. Want a day off? Better apply for it 3 months in advance and prepare for a letdown. Both years I have worked here I applied for my birthday (July 1st) and wedding anniversary (July 4th) off, and since they are so close I just ask for the week off with my PTO. Both years I got every day I asked for except the day in the middle of the week. Why would you give someone a week off except the day in the middle when they have already clearly expressed, months in advance, that they will be out of the state? And what’s more, they use that day to penalize you, and not pay holiday pay if it’s around a holiday. My final complaint is that this company pretends like it cares about it’s employees but really we're just robots at desks trained to make them money. They do not give a single thought to anything in our life. I have been in car accidents on my way to work, had family emergencies, deaths, serious illness, and most recently a home invasion, all of which I have called for, and their question is not "are you ok?" its "when are you going to make up those hours this week?" They are all about the bottom line and not employees. In conclusion I would say this is absolutely the worst place I have EVER worked for. Previously I worked in a cafeteria dish room making $7.25 an hour and if I could live on that I would take that job over this one in a heartbeat. I will say, though I detest working for APAC, I do enjoy doing work for my client, and given the opportunity I would gladly work for them directly.

An hour for lunch and fix your HR and hiring practices!

J.O.B.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Green Bay, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Green Bay, WI

I worked at APAC Customer Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Ease of Job Obtainment
    Benefits
    Sales/Performance Incentives

Cons

You won't get rich working here. It's more of a stepping stone type of place. Put your time in and move on to something more professional and with better pay.

Side conversations with team leaders who would actually bad mouth other employees was pretty common. I think that definitely could kill morale for those not on the inside of the "clique".

Worked for APAC Customer Services? Contribute to the Community!