API (American Petroleum Institute)

www.api.org

API (American Petroleum Institute) Reviews

Updated Apr 21, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jack Gerard

Great organization.

ProsAttracts and employs top talent. Prospective employees couldn't find a better industry to be a part of at the moment.

ConsLacks cohesive, collaborative culture. As such, employees lose, or never attain, the sense of being a part of the business purpose of the organization.

Great people to work with.

ProsEveryone is very open to talking about current projects and open for you to get involved in it if you are interested.

ConsNew positions don't open up very often.

Solid Corporate Structure and Compensation

ProsStructured corporation with wonderful benefits, opportunity for advancement, and overall work experience.

ConsAPI has a strict 35 Hour work week. The compensation is fair but if you are wanting to earn more money and work more hours, this is not the company for you.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great atmosphere, comfortable.

Technical Editor (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsVery comfortable place to be, great benefits, for many employees a 35 hour work week. The turnover is low and people are generally very happy here. The benefits are great, with 75% tuition reimbursement, lax leave policies, 5% 401k match, and bonuses. We also have a pension that you will be vested in after 5 years of service, which is a pretty rare thing these days. The work you do here is generally very appreciated.

Also, the work can be pretty exciting, depending on what you do. Its interesting to be involved in a number of the facets of energy policy.

ConsThe different functions of the organization make for a disjointed cluster of departments and specialities. This makes advancement and career development somewhat awkward. This is a good place to end your career or a place to work while API pays for school, not a place for growth. Some department are an absolute dead-end.

Also, some people may have a political/moral issue with working at API. As a conservative-leaning person, I've always drank the cool-aid and have felt a certain satisfaction in working for the industry. More liberal leaning people may have more of an issue with that. Either way, get ready for political arguments with friends and family.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would say that senior management needs to put more emphasis on communication with all employees.

Worked for API (American Petroleum Institute)? Contribute to the Community!