API Healthcare
www.apihealthcare.com Hartford, WI 150 to 499 Employees

API Healthcare Reviews

Updated Apr 27, 2014
API Healthcare – Hartford – “Corporate Headquarters”

J.P. Fingado

Great...to an extent.

ProsAcquired by GE Healthcare
    Nice office in San Diego
    Flexible hours, awesome work-life balance
    Benefits OK
    All employees start with FOUR weeks PTO
    Work from home if sick or other circumstances
    Fun company events some times
    Transparency in all levels of the organization
    Agile
    Innovative culture
    Engineers empowered do learn, grow, and improve products
    10% time to pursue personal technology interests
    One of the best VP of Engineering you will ever work for anywhere

ConsAcquired by GE Healthcare, tons of brand new shiny bright RED TAPE, but bearable
    Recent acquisition- positive so far, but always has you wondering about your job and future
    Acquisition was sold to employees as "more opportunities for growth" but all opportunities in GE require you to move out of San Diego.
    Promotions don't always seem to make sense

Raises, as it turns out, are once a year and TERRIBLE. If you inquire as to why you got a crappy less than 3% raise despite the fact you were outstanding, brought unique skill to the team, and out produced most others (including those that got promoted over you) by giving your personal time, late nights, and weekends voluntarily for the company, you will be reassured by management that, yes, your 3% and no promotion is a quote "great" raise simply because some people got less than that. So in other words... for someone that works THAT hard and gives THAT much time to the company, your 3% is "great", but only because everyone else's was much crappier.

You can guess- If I worked hard, brought expertise to the team, and put in tons of personal hours only to find out my reward was ~$200 NET a month, I'm no longer motivated to do those things. My time and energy would be better spent and more rewarded monetarily working part time at McDonald's, which I am seriously considering since it is right across the street.

I will say however that base salaries are pretty good here. But if you're ambitious, looking to grow both in salary and in role rapidly, I haven't figured out how to do that yet. I am still confused about others' promotions. On the other hand, if you want a good base salary and are ok with that being relatively constant through the years (and there's nothing wrong with that if that's for you), then the compensation is awesome. You'll even be happy because everything else about working here is really positive.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest, recognition and yearly wage increases are terrible. If you can't/don't want to change that, be honest, and say so instead of trying to "sell" us on why 2% is a "great" raise.

Exciting Growth Company in thr Milwaukee Area

Implementation Consultant (Current Employee)
    Milwaukee, WI

ProsMake a big difference in hospitals across the U.S.. The software we create really improves the lives of healthcare workers and patients.

Rapid growth is creating new career opportunities

Great people to work with.

ConsWish we had more people to get the work done. The company is trying to hire but it is not happening quick enough.

I wish the office was located closer to the city.

An innovative company with career growth opportunities!

Hartford, WI

ProsI've been with API Healthcare for less than a year and I truly believe this company has great potential. J.P., our outstanding CEO, has been as open and transparent as any CEO can be. This gives me an enormous amount of trust in the direction he is taking our company.

My direct manager cares a lot about my career and that's extremely important to me. The agile team I am on now is very passionate about our product and it has been very rewarding working with them. Yes, my job requires extra work and sometimes long hours, but I find this to be stimulating and completely worth the effort.

Finally, the company activities and health & wellness initiatives are constantly evolving, but have always been awesome in the past.

ConsYou might describe API Healthcare's corporate office as being in the Greater Milwaukee Area, but the drive from Milwaukee would be roughly an hour long. Aside from the long commute, the small town company still has a bit of growing up to do. Some people who have been with the company for a long time are still developing their professionalism in the workplace. However, with time and the addition of new people, I see this becoming a non-issue.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a large gap in the effectiveness of the management team. My advice would be to recognize and reward those who are helping the company succeed and part ways with those who might be in a position due to seniority and who are no longer providing value for our growing organization.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The Acquisition: What we all knew.

Client Services Employee (Current Employee)
    Hartford, WI

ProsAPI under Fransisco Partners fosters a transparent atmosphere, good company benefits, and a good company cafe. We are happy to be acquired by GE HEALTHCARE.

ConsNo Training Program exists. No continued training. Associates are given a poorly written manual and told to 'figure it out'. Client Services Managers who don't know the product and are constantly in meetings and never available to assist the people they should be managing. Poor pay scale. Good Employees are leaving due to frustrations and management does little to if nothing to retain them.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe recent acquisition by GE HEALTHCARE left us little surprised. The company ramped up sales without providing the support structure to meet the demands of new and existing client services and support. The Client Services team was drowning and time and time again employees voiced their concerns. There were promises of help but it has not happened. Now, we know that Fransico Partners was looking to fatten us up for a big sell and it's finally here. We, as employees of API, hope that GE HEALTHCARE will listen to the employees and our concerns from the past 4 years. We have inadequate managers in Client Services (API tried restructuring this deparment several times). We have Client Services managers who don't know the products, have little daily interaction with their teams, have meeting after meeting to discuss issues but no resolution, and are hard to find in a crisis mode (which happens alot). We need support! We need training! We need a better infrastructure! We are happy to have this acquistion, and hope GE Healthcare wasn't blinded by smoke and mirrors. There are true problems here that need to be addressed ASAP.

Difficult corporate culture

Software Engineering (Former Employee)
    Hartford, WI

ProsA lot of the employees have been with the company for many many years, and a handful of the people are very personable. The business seems to be strong and growing. My managers had good intentions, but needed work on developing their "soft skills" needed to effectively create a positive culture.

ConsFrom a corporate culture perspective, it was very difficult to integrate with the teams. I never really felt like I "fit".

Advice to Senior ManagementCulture is a challenging thing to change, but an important aspect of job satisfaction.

Not a good company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsJ.P Fingado is a very good leader, very positive.

ConsThis was the most miserable job I've ever had. The Hartford office is a very tight knit group of people that do not take well to outsiders and if you haven't been there for 10+ years, you're an outsider. No training and people unwilling to help you. The company culture is very bad in the IT area. Most of upper management have been there forever and have no idea how other companies operate, but think only their way is the right way. Communication is horrible in IT.

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace all upper management in Engineering with people from other companies and more experience in the real world.

Terrible Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Hartford, WI

ProsGood health insurance, company events

ConsComing from the software industry, API felt like working at an antiquated manufacturing facility. The products API produces are needlessly complicated and not end-user friendly. It made sense when I saw the horrible internal tools API used to run its implementation process; its products reflect its own disorganization. Everyone was always in crisis mode, trying to keep up with sales that outpaced hiring because of excessive turnover. Tenured employees did not want to share information with new employees, leading to siloing and projects never coming to fruition. Training consisted of being thrust into your job with, "Read this manual," as direction. The worst part was senior and mid-level leadership not having a clue (or simply not caring) what was going on with the frontline staff. The inexperienced managers had no idea how to cope with crisis, and C-level execs were never around to help guide them. Every few months we'd have a meeting to coax us into believing change would happen, but it never did. More managers were added, more work was sent over and more people left. It felt like we were just buying time and playing software company before our investors sold us.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the people you're bringing in who have worked at modern software companies, and fire mid-level managers that have been put into place based on tenure, not skill.

A Great Opportunity

ProsI have been with the company for about a year, and love it! At a time when many companies are chopping benefits or even closing their doors, API Healthcare continues to experience amazing growth and offers great benefits (paid time off for your birthday, 401k match, company events, etc.). Plus, I get to have a very flexible work schedule.

API Healthcare offers career growth opportunities for those willing to seize them. Even with its fast expansion, the Hartford office still retains a small-town family feel, filled with genuinely wonderful people. The President & CEO sets a phenomenal tone of transparency, strong ethics, and a vision for success. If you're looking for a 9 - 5 job simply to gather a paycheck, then API Healthcare is quite frankly not the place for you. However, I've found that API Healthcare offers great growth opportunity and the ability to be a part of something greater than yourself.

ConsWorking in a small town can provide a challenge if you're looking to get some errands done during your lunch. However, the on-site cafeteria is very good and makes up for the limited restaurant choices. The company is experiencing natural growing pains. You can't be afraid to roll up your sleeves, work hard, and challenge yourself.

Stressful Work

Hartford, WI

ProsHardworking people who are like family
    Fast growing
    Sales through the roof

ConsCompany can't keep up
    Long Hours
    Lack of Competitive Pay - They base it off of market ranges, but pay some people less than the range
    Lack of Direction
    Lack of Training
    Too much work for too few employees
    Lack of promotional opportunities

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers need to have more reasonable expectations with the workload. Upper management needs to support this.

Growing but still feels like family

Hartford, WI

ProsGrowing company that is open to change. They are investing in their staff through company wide training. Leadership is starting to feel like one team instead of silos.

ConsGrowing companies in general can be challenging. This is due to high levels of change that will and need to occur. For folks that may not be ready for change it may not be for everyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork more closely with others and ensure you are taking care of not only your employees but those of other departments.

Worked for API Healthcare? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at API Healthcare reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for API Healthcare CEO J.P. Fingado. All 30 reviews posted anonymously by API Healthcare employees.