API Healthcare

Updated October 11, 2014
Updated October 11, 2014

Lisa A. LaBau
1 Rating

Industry-leading solutions, but lacking future innovation.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, WI

I worked at API Healthcare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- The GE Healthcare acquisition will bring good things for this small company.
    - The company has a great culture and is constantly looking for ways to make employees happy at work and promote health and wellness.

Cons

- Each department is siloed, and there are even silos within the engineering department itself.
    - There is a lack of communication from engineering management to the teams as well as to our clients.
    - No one is managing client expectations. We are continually fixing bugs instead of focusing on innovation and raising the bar.
    - The Hartford office is too far from Milwaukee and Madison to recruit top-notch talent or college graduates.

Listen to the engineering teams and take their advice.

Positive Growth

I have been working at API Healthcare (more than 8 years)

Pros

This is a company that is in it for the long haul. They know their clients and really care about their relationships. The work-life balance has been good and individuals approach problems with the best of intentions to the clients and their co-workers.

Cons

Many departments have become independent in nature over the years. The company still needs to work on breaking down those walls between teams and building trust.

Great...to an extent.

I have been working at API Healthcare

Pros

Acquired by GE Healthcare
    Nice office in San Diego
    Flexible hours, awesome work-life balance
    Benefits OK
    All employees start with FOUR weeks PTO
    Work from home if sick or other circumstances
    Fun company events some times
    Transparency in all levels of the organization
    Agile
    Innovative culture
    Engineers empowered do learn, grow, and improve products
    10% time to pursue personal technology interests
    One of the best VP of Engineering you will ever work for anywhere

Cons

Acquired by GE Healthcare, tons of brand new shiny bright RED TAPE, but bearable
    Recent acquisition- positive so far, but always has you wondering about your job and future
    Acquisition was sold to employees as "more opportunities for growth" but all opportunities in GE require you to move out of San Diego.
    Promotions don't always seem to make sense

Raises, as it turns out, are once a year and TERRIBLE. If you inquire as to why you got a crappy less than 3% raise despite the fact you were outstanding, brought unique skill to the team, and out produced most others (including those that got promoted over you) by giving your personal time, late nights, and weekends voluntarily for the company, you will be reassured by management that, yes, your 3% and no promotion is a quote "great" raise simply because some people got less than that. So in other words... for someone that works THAT hard and gives THAT much time to the company, your 3% is "great", but only because everyone else's was much crappier.

You can guess- If I worked hard, brought expertise to the team, and put in tons of personal hours only to find out my reward was ~$200 NET a month, I'm no longer motivated to do those things. My time and energy would be better spent and more rewarded monetarily working part time at McDonald's, which I am seriously considering since it is right across the street.

I will say however that base salaries are pretty good here. But if you're ambitious, looking to grow both in salary and in role rapidly, I haven't figured out how to do that yet. I am still confused about others' promotions. On the other hand, if you want a good base salary and are ok with that being relatively constant through the years (and there's nothing wrong with that if that's for you), then the compensation is awesome. You'll even be happy because everything else about working here is really positive.

Be honest, recognition and yearly wage increases are terrible. If you can't/don't want to change that, be honest, and say so instead of trying to "sell" us on why 2% is a "great" raise.

Exciting Growth Company in thr Milwaukee Area

Current Employee - Implementation Consultant in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Implementation Consultant in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at API Healthcare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Make a big difference in hospitals across the U.S.. The software we create really improves the lives of healthcare workers and patients.

Rapid growth is creating new career opportunities

Great people to work with.

Cons

Wish we had more people to get the work done. The company is trying to hire but it is not happening quick enough.

I wish the office was located closer to the city.

Not a good company

I worked at API Healthcare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

J.P Fingado is a very good leader, very positive.

Cons

This was the most miserable job I've ever had. The Hartford office is a very tight knit group of people that do not take well to outsiders and if you haven't been there for 10+ years, you're an outsider. No training and people unwilling to help you. The company culture is very bad in the IT area. Most of upper management have been there forever and have no idea how other companies operate, but think only their way is the right way. Communication is horrible in IT.

Replace all upper management in Engineering with people from other companies and more experience in the real world.

The Acquisition: What we all knew.

Current Employee - Client Services Employee in Hartford, WI
    Current Employee - Client Services Employee in Hartford, WI

I have been working at API Healthcare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

API under Fransisco Partners fosters a transparent atmosphere, good company benefits, and a good company cafe. We are happy to be acquired by GE HEALTHCARE.

Cons

No Training Program exists. No continued training. Associates are given a poorly written manual and told to 'figure it out'. Client Services Managers who don't know the product and are constantly in meetings and never available to assist the people they should be managing. Poor pay scale. Good Employees are leaving due to frustrations and management does little to if nothing to retain them.

The recent acquisition by GE HEALTHCARE left us little surprised. The company ramped up sales without providing the support structure to meet the demands of new and existing client services and support. The Client Services team was drowning and time and time again employees voiced their concerns. There were promises of help but it has not happened. Now, we know that Fransico Partners was looking to fatten us up for a big sell and it's finally here. We, as employees of API, hope that GE HEALTHCARE will listen to the employees and our concerns from the past 4 years. We have inadequate managers in Client Services (API tried restructuring this deparment several times). We have Client Services managers who don't know the products, have little daily interaction with their teams, have meeting after meeting to discuss issues but no resolution, and are hard to find in a crisis mode (which happens alot). We need support! We need training! We need a better infrastructure! We are happy to have this acquistion, and hope GE Healthcare wasn't blinded by smoke and mirrors. There are true problems here that need to be addressed ASAP.

Difficult corporate culture

Former Employee - Software Engineering in Hartford, WI
    Former Employee - Software Engineering in Hartford, WI

I worked at API Healthcare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A lot of the employees have been with the company for many many years, and a handful of the people are very personable. The business seems to be strong and growing. My managers had good intentions, but needed work on developing their "soft skills" needed to effectively create a positive culture.

Cons

From a corporate culture perspective, it was very difficult to integrate with the teams. I never really felt like I "fit".

Culture is a challenging thing to change, but an important aspect of job satisfaction.

A Great Opportunity

I have been working at API Healthcare

Pros

I have been with the company for about a year, and love it! At a time when many companies are chopping benefits or even closing their doors, API Healthcare continues to experience amazing growth and offers great benefits (paid time off for your birthday, 401k match, company events, etc.). Plus, I get to have a very flexible work schedule.

API Healthcare offers career growth opportunities for those willing to seize them. Even with its fast expansion, the Hartford office still retains a small-town family feel, filled with genuinely wonderful people. The President & CEO sets a phenomenal tone of transparency, strong ethics, and a vision for success. If you're looking for a 9 - 5 job simply to gather a paycheck, then API Healthcare is quite frankly not the place for you. However, I've found that API Healthcare offers great growth opportunity and the ability to be a part of something greater than yourself.

Cons

Working in a small town can provide a challenge if you're looking to get some errands done during your lunch. However, the on-site cafeteria is very good and makes up for the limited restaurant choices. The company is experiencing natural growing pains. You can't be afraid to roll up your sleeves, work hard, and challenge yourself.

Terrible Experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, WI

I worked at API Healthcare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good health insurance, company events

Cons

Coming from the software industry, API felt like working at an antiquated manufacturing facility. The products API produces are needlessly complicated and not end-user friendly. It made sense when I saw the horrible internal tools API used to run its implementation process; its products reflect its own disorganization. Everyone was always in crisis mode, trying to keep up with sales that outpaced hiring because of excessive turnover. Tenured employees did not want to share information with new employees, leading to siloing and projects never coming to fruition. Training consisted of being thrust into your job with, "Read this manual," as direction. The worst part was senior and mid-level leadership not having a clue (or simply not caring) what was going on with the frontline staff. The inexperienced managers had no idea how to cope with crisis, and C-level execs were never around to help guide them. Every few months we'd have a meeting to coax us into believing change would happen, but it never did. More managers were added, more work was sent over and more people left. It felt like we were just buying time and playing software company before our investors sold us.

Listen to the people you're bringing in who have worked at modern software companies, and fire mid-level managers that have been put into place based on tenure, not skill.

Stressful Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, WI

I have been working at API Healthcare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Hardworking people who are like family
    Fast growing
    Sales through the roof

Cons

Company can't keep up
    Long Hours
    Lack of Competitive Pay - They base it off of market ranges, but pay some people less than the range
    Lack of Direction
    Lack of Training
    Too much work for too few employees
    Lack of promotional opportunities

Managers need to have more reasonable expectations with the workload. Upper management needs to support this.

API Healthcare Photos