API Technologies Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.5
Robert Tavares

1. Interesting and challenging company , hard to follow the ever changing demands from upper management.

Current Employee - Purchase Manager in State College, PA
    Current Employee - Purchase Manager in State College, PA

I have been working at API Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some very good people that work at API. People who try very hard to do a good job with their assigned tasks, sometimes with little to know guidance or assistance. These out-of-the-box thinkers and the "doers" keep this company running.

Cons

There is very little corporate involvement with each business entities' overall day-to-day process. Most areas are running a muck. Their is little to know planning to most tasks, but no matter what, it better not affect revenue! This mentality has lead to poor planning, poor production (poor workmanship) poor attitudes and overall poor output.

Advice to Management

Develop a plan for improvement, implement it by assigning someone who understands how to project manage and set goals to achieve milestones through the improvement process. Reward employees who are successful. Provide and atmosphere of appreciation, value and worth that make the employees never want to leave. Empower those in the appropriate positions to provide the type of leadership the the company needs to move forward. Not the existing bruit -orce that drives good employees seeking and finding other companies who will work for them.

2. No plan for growth

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in State College, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in State College, PA

I worked at API Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to learn what not to do for profitability.

Cons

Declining buisness that is linked to poor customer service and a non devoted sales team.

Advice to Management

Focous on customer service and retiurning buisness not just the profit margins that look good on paper.

3. test technician

I worked at API Technologies full-time

Pros

after taking over (NHI)for a few years it was a good place to work. Around 4 years ago they decided to move off of Long Island. We received raises and promotions

Cons

after taking over (NHI)for a few years it was a good place to work. Around 4 years ago they decided to move off of Long Island. 2011 125 people lost their jobs and API moved to Windber Pa

Advice to Management

None

5. I am the liason between the factories who make our products and the customers who buy them.

Current Employee - Customer Relationship Coordinator in State College, PA
    Current Employee - Customer Relationship Coordinator in State College, PA

I have been working at API Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work with customers on a daily basis, creating new relationships and fostering old ones. It's an exciting opportunity to help people have the best customer experience I can offer.

Cons

During my time here, I have went above and beyond my manager's expectations and those of our position in the customer service department. I feel there are no opportunities for upward mobility within the company in terms of a professional and monetary standpoint.

Advice to Management

Create opportunities for advancement well before the year review. Also, a higher salary is required for the work that we do.

6. Good people, very over worked, paltry benefits offering

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marlborough, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marlborough, MA

I worked at API Technologies

Pros

Dedicated long time employees are "the survivors" of multiple acquisitions - mashed together.

Cons

Prepare yourself to have a heapload of work dumped upon you without adequate resources ($ or human) to accomplish them. Benefits are truly awful, expensive with a very high deductible.

Advice to Management

Purge all middle management. Good people, local management is working hard to get the company on the right track - but see cons above for reasons why it may be very challenging to move forward.

7. Originally it wasnt so good

Current Employee - Network Administrator
    Current Employee - Network Administrator

I have been working at API Technologies part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very cool and smart people I work with. Managers are very approachable (at least in the upper management ranks)

Cons

Benefits arent all that good. Health Insurance is expensive and it's not very good coverage (even on their BEST plan). Trying to get a raise is like pulling teeth

Engineer

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in State College, PA
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in State College, PA

I worked at API Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great hard working hourly employees. They work hard to meet monthly production goals by working lo but they get no reward of their efforts.

Cons

The companies values changed when API bought Spectrum Control. Spectrum Control had a sense of family. The management at the from the President D. Southworth on down cared about the people working from them. He took the time know the employees working for him and the company The product shipment was important but management would listen to ideas to improve the development of the company growth. Not afraid to spend some money on additional hiring to equipment. Every company has moved to lean manufacturing to cost save but it was at the expense of yields. Very hard to buy replace parts to new equipment to maintain efficiency of production line. Mid to Upper Management lost the important caring for people the help meet product shipment. Wages are not competitive, benefits not great, doesn't make the effort to bring in talent and pay there worth. Professional salaries are below 10-25 percentile ranges, no performance bonuses and don't pay for moving expenses if professional is willing to move.

Advice to Management

Mid and Upper Management needs to be humble!

Great Coworkers

Former Employee - Tester
    Former Employee - Tester

I worked at API Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are generally happy and not depressing. The jobs are simple with a little demonstration, and right off the highway.

Cons

Benefits aren't so great. Management is not so great, and overtime is scarce.

The worst company I ever worked for.

Former Employee - Assembler, Dicer, Supply in State College, PA
    Former Employee - Assembler, Dicer, Supply in State College, PA

I worked at API Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

coworker are saportive and friendly

Cons

to put it simply api technologies is not concerned with its workers. Management and HR all but told me this .Api is one on forefort of mistreating employees. I personaly wittness discrimintation all the way to sexaul harassment. Of course ,as soon I mentioned this to HR then was ask to leave with in the hour . Me being a little guy couldnt afford a laywer to bring this court. I am confident though api will adventually mess with the wrong little guy and my prayer is that he takes the company for all its worth.

Advice to Management

I am an OEF vetran and am no stranger to incomptent leaders. API managment is on the front line of broken leadership. My advise is for Bel Lazar to observe his employees and root this problem from the start. I have never seen such a big group of employees being mistreated by management. many employees including myself are over tasked and under paid. Companies like api are the reason that our country is in decline.

API Technologies Review

I have been working at API Technologies full-time

Pros

Good people. Diversified staff. Certain people/positions are given large responsibilities, which can be a good thing. Opportunity to travel to other sites. Advancement/growth opportunities for those that are willing to consider other locations and/or business units within API.

Cons

The overall benefits package could be better, especially for a company their size. Communication from top-down needs improvement - doesn't reach all employees or there isn't any communcation.

Advice to Management

Communicate to all levels of employees and not just the executives and/or board.

RSS Feed </> Embed