APMEX

Updated January 24, 2015
Updated January 24, 2015
3.9

Michael Haynes

Without a doubt, the best company I've ever had the pleasure of working for; APMEX Rocks!

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at APMEX full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

APMEX offers, what I consider, the total package and some. They have a salary/bonus plan that's top notch plus health/vision/dental benefits plus paid time off plus retirement plans (the company matches up to a certain percent) plus all the fun corporate events they put on plus Christmas Bonus plus I really really like the culture and the concierge level of service we are expected to deliver to our customers both internally and externally.

Cons

There have been some growing pains; but, I believe we are through the worst of it and have the right management in place to continue going forward. Probably the absolute worst thing about this company, without a doubt, the coffee.

Can we get better coffee?

Bizarre working culture

I worked at APMEX

Pros

Interesting business, decent compensation and benefits.

Cons

Weird cult of personality around founder/owner. Siloed management and working culture where sycophancy trumps competency and professionalism. A small-town company that still hasn't grown up.

The problem is that management is not receptive to advice so there is little to offer.

Dysfunctional Leadership

I worked at APMEX full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Most folks at the junior levels are good people who take pride in their work, work hard, and treat their peers with professionalism and respect.

Cons

During my tenure there were other new team members who were passionate, smart, accomplished and dedicated employees -- ranging from the manager level all the way to the C-suite. Unfortunately, almost all of those people are gone. What is left is a dysfunctional and ill-equiped leadership team that lacks vision and focus, and that distrusts and disempowers its employees.

The leaders who are left could greatly benefit from professional coaching. The owner of the company sets the tone for the rest of the organization and simply does not have the background, skills, or emotional intelligence required of a leader. As a result, the only people who can do reasonably well at the company are those who share the same basic negative characteristics and values.

Too Big, Too Fast

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at APMEX full-time

Pros

Free deli-style lunch is provided every day at both locations. Various bonus programs dependent upon profitability. Company has strong customer relationship values. Tremendous growth in short period of time. Continuing education opportunities paid for if for the interest of the company. Paid holidays.

Cons

The company is trying to define the culture they want to be but in doing so have many times stated, "This is how it is. If you don't like it - leave. We don't want you if you won't get on board." Senior Management lacks personal relational skills and does not obtain the respect they no doubt have earned but rather people fear them instead. Often times people just say, "Yes, sir" instead of discussing things because they are not perceived as good listeners. The company has defined its values and they are good ones. However, these values are only related to the customer experience. Concierge service has been communicated as such for the customer, but not for the employee. Don't expect compliments from any member of management without them being back-handed with criticism. Volatile market typically creates many mandatory overtime hours in operations. In operations, don't count on having every paid holiday off.

Keep compliments separate from corrective criticism. When giving compliments and criticism, it is clear to see that you are only trying to soften the blow of the criticism. Read "The One Minute Manager" for pointers on this. This "Wal-Mart mentality" that has been insinuated must change from the inside. You cannot be bullies inside your own walls and not expect it to leak out.

APMEX Response

Aug 28, 2014Human Resource Leader

Thank you for your input regarding feedback. It's important to make sure everyone gets praise as well as feedback about areas where they can improve. We recently started Concierge Customer Service ... More

People make the company great!

I have been working at APMEX full-time (less than a year)

Pros

It is evident that people take their work very seriously here by putting their best foot forward to help make APMEX a leader in the Precious Metals industry.

I've quickly made friends with many coworkers, even those I've yet to actually meet in person. To be able to communicate with ease amongst other employees not only makes work easier for me, but ultimately trickles down to the customer and boasts the high level of service they receive.

There are many perks right from the start: free lunch bar, covered parking, t-shirt and jacket giveaways, paid leave, insurance, continuing education benefits, bonuses, theater and basketball ticket giveaways and more!

Cons

Precious Metals was a foreign subject to me as I had no experience within this industry when I first started and at times was overwhelmed. However, this is to be expected with any new job. Maybe a week long training course for new hires, before starting their new position, would be beneficial as a way to introduce those to this industry.

Rewarding, educational and challenging.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at APMEX full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I like the people, professional yet fun and helpful.

I enjoy the work. It can be challenging yet it is always educational, we work with artifacts (coins, paper currency, bullion from mints and foundries worldwide).

Perks add up quickly: Insurance, continuing education benefits, paid leave, free lunches, free parking, free shirts, jackets to wear in the secure area, bonuses and other nice surprises.

It is a fast-paced environment, but that only means we are getting lots of business! Management does a lot to ensure that we are rewarded for our hard work. It is a great place to work!

Cons

The highly secure environment limits what you can wear. If you work in the secure area, you will be limited in your apparel, under garments, jewelry so to keep your metal profile very low.

In my experience, there are limited promotional opportunities.

Make every effort to be responsive to the needs of the employees.

Before making leaps into other countries, take care of the needs of the people and work space in the home office. The base operation is the most important of all priorities.

The office in New York was a mistake and should be closed immediately. The costs of operating that office has hurt the profitability of the company.

Great Place to work

Current Employee - Cust Service in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Cust Service in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at APMEX full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The people. Free soup, sandwich and salad bar. When I started work here, everyone went out of their way to make me feel welcome and help me with any questions I had while training.

Cons

Management has been working to reach optimum staffing levels in some departments, but once that is achieved should not be any problems.

Keep doing what you are doing. APMEX is a great place to work!!

Very busy, challenging, fun job!

I have been working at APMEX full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very busy environment. Everyone works together as a team and pulls together. Always something new and exciting to make it a fun environment. Very promising future.

Cons

Stressful at times, but to be expected everywhere. Things can change in a split second so you must be able to adapt to change.

Continue to improve day to day objectives and show employees they are appreciated in this ever changing market. Do more promoting from within the company versus outsourcing. Sometimes there is a disconnect between departments, we need to open up the communication lines.

A rollercoaster ride but well worth it.

I have been working at APMEX full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people here are a real team from top executives to the mail carrier. It's all about team and pulling together to get the job done and to do that job to the very best of our ability. There is recognition of work well done. Seeing the owner work side by side with the team also is a great thing to witness because that is what he does. There are perks too such as the benefits and paid time off.

Cons

There have been growing pains since APMEX is still a fairly young company. The culture of the company has changed several times in the past few years but currently, I feel they are on the right track. Sometimes the learning curve has been too long and management doesn't listen as well as they should to their employees. Also there is required overtime and that can hurt morale but they are trying to remedy that issue. The hourly people should have a better paid wage because the work is hard and long and can be tedious.

Continue to change the culture of this company so that the employee is the greatest asset of the company. Besides having a mission statement and core values, also have the rule that there are "No Jerks" allowed here. This will help all the employees feel valued and everyone is treated with respect and dignity. Allow the employees to grow from within by posting all open positions. There is lots of talent at this company, try utilizing it.

Poor Management

Former Employee - Puler in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Puler in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at APMEX full-time (less than a year)

Pros

they provide you with free lunches, comes with access to a fully stocked soda machine, and full salad bar and 2 soups daily. The people you work with are great and job allows you to converse easily with all employees.

Cons

they work 10- 14 hour shifts a day monday - friday and then take away some of your weekends by making you come in of saturday. on a point systems for absences, if you show up 5 mins late they will point you, but they don't care to think of the 4 hours overtime you're putting in each day. to get hired on you have to pass a background check for credit history and pass a hair follicle drug test

stop being so stuck up and listen to your employees, we have family to you know, andit would be nice to actually get to see them and be able to keep a job