APN News

Updated November 8, 2014
1.8

Gavin K. O'Reilly

Interesting place...

Former Employee - Developer in Brisbane (Australia)
    Former Employee - Developer in Brisbane (Australia)

I worked at APN News full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The team I worked with was pretty good. Any hardware or tools you needed to do your job were provided as requested. The kitchen always had freshly brewed coffee and places in the area to eat and drink were pretty good, so you would always venture out and get something different.

Cons

Career advancement opportunities here were non-existent. I knew I was not going to be here forever, because of the way the organisation works and the bureaucracy of management and the politics in play, I knew getting higher up the chain was going to be hard. They acknowledged people, but many (myself included) would not be thanked or singled-out for doing a good job in favour of people who were there longer and not necessarily better. Lack of training (no matter how vocal you are).

The salary was also pretty non competitive. For my skill level, I should have been on at least an extra 25k on what I was being paid. The news industry is in the toilet and APN's News arm is undoubtedly trying to pay as little as possible which for some in expensive areas, can be hard to accept.

Offer better training to your employees. Also implement processes for career advancement and mitigate political interference from those who deliberately hamper and block employees from progressing through the organisation. The people I worked with were smart and by the time I left, I counted 4 people who also left in that time for better salaries, career advancement opportunities and work environments.

Great job ruined by stale leadership and low morale

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wellington (New Zealand)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wellington (New Zealand)

I have been working at APN News full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good variety of work, reasonable autonomy

Cons

Limited resources, culture of downsizing, low morale, poor leadership in my division/stale leadership

Better scrutiny of isolated business units (long-serving GM used my unit as her personal kingdom, with no repercussions), more emphasis on content/news, embrace new ideas instead of trying to cut costs.

Soul destroying

Former Employee - Journalist
    Former Employee - Journalist

I worked at APN News full-time

Pros

Good if you are looking to get a foot in the door and build a portfolio.

Cons

I was constantly frustrated by management and lack of support. While the journalists I worked with were great, I saw them drained of enthusiasm and become disillusioned due to poor communication from management and from gestures or promises of support that came to nothing. There was talk about skill and career development but very little was actually done. Expectations were high but minimal scaffolding was provided. Six month reviews were done just to tick the box and anyone who voiced concerns were considered to be rocking the boat. I felt that the company thought that there are more journalists than jobs, so it was easier to replace the person rather than try to fix the problem. Disillusionment ran high in the office and people talked about wanting to leave, some did quit not just the job and also the industry. Broaching the topic with burnout with management lead to them becoming defensive and then sticking their heads in the sand.

Invest in your people; they are assets not burdens. Put middle management through leadership and communication courses. Being a boss is easy, it's a title, being a leader and bringing out the best in people is a skill (one that is missing in many sites).

I really enjoyed working here. Wonderful people, decent salary

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative Inbound in Brisbane (Australia)

I worked at APN News full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people I worked directly with we're great. The bonuses when I was there were quite good, one month I earnt an additional $900. (My salary was after tax about $660) so I was very pleased with that!

Cons

At the time the company wouldn't pay for a Christmas party or anything Iike that.

Can I choose zero stars?

I have been working at APN News full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people you work alongside are amazing and had great futures ahead of them.

Cons

Being crushed by the gross mismanagement of the teams. Little to no respect for employees. Yearly review? Been there 7 years and have had 2, and there is supposed to be a follow up every 6 months also. APN dishes out more broken promises than Tony Abbotts political campaign. All talk no action. I watch people who inspired me, become deflated unmotivated and severely depressed about their future.

Forget about career progression, you'll be doing the same thing after 7!years after day01. And they will keep postponing your "yearly pay increase" by 6 months so in 2 years you may only get one increase... Of 1%

Do not believe their lies, get out while you can!

Take some responsibility and do what you are paid to do. Address the issues, tackle the big problems and maybe you'll have better staff retention.

Even one star is being too generous...

Current Employee - Journalist
    Current Employee - Journalist

I have been working at APN News full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

In all honesty, very few. It's great to be working in media as it is a sought-after industry, but this should not excuse APN from treating its employees with such contempt.

Cons

I will keep it brief as there are many. The company is soul-less and treats its employees as nothing more than strokes on a spreadsheet. Employees do not receive yearly reviews and have easy access to re-classification. As such, many employees, including myself, are working in a capacity well above where they sit on the pay scale. Couple this with hideous individual contacts denying journalists paid overtime. This job is not 9-5; there is a lot of overtime. It is only fair employees be paid when putting in countless hours a week in overtime. It's a job - not charity. Fair pay for fair work. Upper management is a chaotic mess and this filters right down to middle management at individual sites. Many managers seek only to adorn themselves with their bonuses and in the process have scant regard for their workers. There is a toxic culture within APN that permeates every level of the business and workers are disgruntled, disillusioned and feel taken advantage of.

APN management needs to stop looking at employees as strokes on a spreadsheet and, instead, see them as people. The company needs to value its workers instead of regarding the workforce as units of labour. People deserve a fair go. If someone is working in a certain capacity, they should be paid appropriately. It is not fair to deny people the opportunity to earn a fair day's wage for a fair day's work. Using this tactic as an opportunity to cost-cut is abhorrent and shameless.
    Absolutely shattered my goal of working in media has turned so sour with this company.