APR Energy

www.aprenergy.com

APR Energy Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014
APR Energy – “Reviewing power meters”

Global Company- Jacksonville's Little Treasure

ProsThere needs to be a meeting of minds for any successful relationship. This is the case also when an employee is seeking the perfect employer. If you are an individual who is driven, motivated, has an entrepreneurial mind, someone who appreciates leaving a positive footprint on this world- then you have found the perfect company. Each day I come to work, I know I am doing something impactful- providing light to foster education and assist with recovering economies just to mention a few of the positives. In addition to creating jobs in the local communities, we also do a community development projects in the vicinity of each power plant that focuses on education or healthcare. What a great thing to be a part of! Now, to me, the great thing about working for a growing company is that I get to grow with the company and have a voice and impact on the future of the business. As I mentioned, it requires a special kind of person to "get it" and appreciate APR. We don't have an easy job and we do business in communities which are overtaken by corruption, countries that went through political changes, countries that are drained in conflict. Given all of this, we still get it done! We build power plant project faster that anyone in the industry, we have phenomenal talent supporting our global operation, and we do all this in the most compliant manner. Now, if that is not an accomplishment and something to be proud of, then I am not sure what is. If a desk job with repetitive tasks each day is something you thrive in, then APR is not the right place for you.

ConsAs with any growing company, there are growing pains.

Lack of leadership and infighting result in a high tension and toxic culture... but they pay well.

Manager (Former Employee) Jacksonville, FL

Pros- Huge margins on contracts and lucrative business
    - Salaries trend higher than other major employers in the region
    - Located in a state with no income taxes
    - If you don't like someone you work with it's likely they won't be working with you in the near future as personnel flows through the company like a sieve.

Cons- Obscene corporate culture and a general lack of professionalism runs throughout company
    - Executive team lacks motivation
    - Corporate infrastructure lacks scalability
    - Managers & Directors lack experience managing employees, which results in work for work's sake instead of working smarter and more efficient
    - Continual strife and infighting among departments
    - Toxic culture that will permeate your personal life and slowly degrade your well being
    - CEO & President lack employee contact, which gives illusion that their is no leadership and no one's driving the company or giving direction

Advice to Senior ManagementOverhaul the organization and nominate a clear leader who will provide a mission to motivate employees. CEO & President need to retire to the board. Elect current COO to run company as he has the experience necessary to make the organization successful. Regionalization and executive turnover has promoted infighting and constant bickering between departments, which needs to be fixed. Constant urgency in your work and putting out fires results in a culture of high tension and lack of reward since you're always working from behind. Management needs to focus on creating an environment where employees are motivated to contribute based on their own interests and career development. Constant threats over job security have rendered staff unable to focus on making the business more efficient. A simple thank you for doing the small things would go a long way from the executive team but I believe they are too scared about losing their jobs to acknowledge others and push themselves out of the spotlight.

A Multicultural Gem in Jacksonville Powered by Ambition and Knowledge

Marketing (Current Employee) Jacksonville, FL

ProsThe company has an energetic vibe when you first walk through the doors. Each employee is a contributor and all are passionate about the positive impact they can have on the business. I have yet to come across a slacker in this organization, and the benefits are like none other I have ever had, from 401K matching per paycheck, to company sponsored events, a dozen paid holidays PLUS minimally two weeks vacation - that's unheard of in my experience. Not to mention that fact that APR Energy's location in a port city on the coast of Florida is ideal. So, you get a beach town/ relaxed vibe, from hardcore workers, with a level of work-life balance. There are so many positives.

ConsI have yet to come across any cons, but will update if I do. Personally, I think a workplace is what you make it - this is a fun, challenging and very productive working environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing, because it's exciting to be a part of the company's growth. It's clear you've built a dedicated staff and a sustainable business. More business, more business!! Let's go get us some more business!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Harsh sales techniques and harsher working environments

Senior Sales Representative (Former Employee) Jacksonville, FL

ProsA company with a lot of potential in a growing market. A company for those with a sense of adventure / tolerance for pain as the projects are in very remote areas of developing / dangerous countries.

ConsVery disorganized, often borderline dishonest to Clients in order to secure sales and promises of project deadlines, dishonest to employees, regarding hours worked / conditions/ amount of travel/ structure of organization. Termination of most valued employees ( according to colleagues), very high turnover. Pay is on the low market end for travel / work in developing / hostile environments.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease provide a clear sales guidelines, honest SM, Project Directors and deadlines.

A frenzied office and project approach

Project Administrator/Coordinator (Current Employee) Jacksonville, FL

ProsAlways a very active office in Jacksonville,

ConsToo much turnaround of employees ...the best employees who have provided constructive criticism are let, go no org charts, inexperienced / undependable Senior Management, overall disorganization, apprehension of employment, favoritism, large increases in workload and hours without compensation, too much of a turnaround.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease create SOP's, allow feedback from your employees without fear of punishment, hire knowledgeable Senior PM's and Project Directors,

A day in the life of Energy

Logistics Coordinator (Current Employee) Jacksonville, FL

ProsYoung Company and even younger Employees

ConsNot enough PTO
    No hardline SOP

Advice to Senior ManagementKnow that the world does not revolve around the company. Everyone has a home life to tend to.

Too many Chiefs..not enough Indians.

Site Manager (Former Employee) Jacksonville, FL

ProsThe company and the overall staff is young and energetic so the mood in the office is hectic, which is nice. Jacksonville is located on the coast so a big plus of working here is living by the beach. The company is growing quickly and it is exciting to see many new opportunities opening up.

ConsRecently separated from the company I can say that nowhere have I found the above phrase, in Title, to be more true then at APR Energy. I was a Site Manager for 3 projects in a couple third world countries. I stuck around so long ( year +) due to the economy. This is a common story at APR Energy. People are there because they either can't find other employment or are in FL due to family reasons. On all the projects I was involved with the Project Manager assigned either quit or was laid off. You can imagine the chaos this causes on a fast track site. You will find yourself answering to many Senior Project Manager / Senior Managers most of whom have very little international experience and only rudimentary knowledge of engineering and power systems. This is a very management top- heavy organization but because it is in a very specialized market the typical negatives of such an organization ( turf wars, no agreed upon / different procedures incorrect schedules, late materials, different directions,..) are accentuated.

The young staff represent non-STEM degrees who have migrated to this market, with no Engineers anywhere to be seen… a first for me in a Power company. Combined with a management heavy organization this often equals chaos in drawing take-offs, scheduling,forecasts, issues with travels, visas, timely delivery of correct material to site, no SOPs, ...you get the picture.

Here is a short checklist for those thinking of employment here:

Want many bosses: check.

Want many bosses who issue different directions: check.

Want bosses who want to hold teleconferences at 12 am or 4am site time (where you are located ) because it is convenient for them on the US East Coast: check.

Want bosses who have never completed a similar project to the one you are completing: check.

Want a company with constant turn-around and management by fear: check.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmploy at least some experienced people, cut down on the number of Chiefs to avoid more turf wars, educate existing employees or hire those with an Engineering background not lifelong-Govt employees to run the PMs.

A very, hhhmmm...."challenging" experience...

Procurement Manager (Current Employee) Jacksonville, FL

ProsThe staff is very diverse with many colleagues newly minted US citizens. Fast paced work environment. Because the company has projects all over the world we regularly interact with team members in different countries and different timezones. So, we have work ongoing 24/7. You are always ON, 24/7, and part of a live project. When a project is completed you do feel like you made a difference.....!

ConsIn the procurement department we really need an Engineer as we are not familiar with the technical aspects of the plants our teams build abroad. This constantly results in incorrect materials being sent to the plants and then re-ordering and last minute / midnight shipping. Having multiple bosses is very tiring and frustrating. Often Senior Management does not communicate together and issues contradictory decision to team members. I wish we had a clear line of communication instead of brand new "experts" being hired and laid-off on a regular basis. This creates an uncertain environment where everyone is afraid for their job and hunkers down. This is a big negative in the Field Teams. Sometimes multiple project managers, come and go, per one project! This really disrupts the whole project and procurement process, delays our projects and creates long work hours, needlessly.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease establish SOP for the whole company that define how different company sections are to interact and who has authority over whom. Also, please hire experienced travel personnel / coordinators who are familiar with issues in developing countries. Maybe an experienced travel consultant ?
    It would be great if we had Senior Managers with an Engineering background to assist in reading drawings!

A great place to work.

Corporate Employee (Former Employee) Jacksonville, FL

ProsCorporate culture and vibe is energetic. Sense of team and entrepreneurship are electric. You really feel a part of something big and great at APR Energy. Despite its size, it is also still very much a 'family' feel there. CEO and COO are genuine, appreciative, and approachable.

ConsCFO was checked out. Under-experienced and under-staffed finance team left holding the bag. Forecasting was a joke. Reporting was late. Financial Guidance for company growth was absent. As a result, company hired, then laid-off, several (~30) people in 2012.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your finance team. Get a CFO who is involved and accountable.

Hhhhmmmmmm..

Field Engineer (Former Employee) Jacksonville, FL

ProsA growing company with a lot of potential. Overall the staff is made of of young people, almost like an internet start-up, which gives the office a nice vibe.

ConsI worked for APR for over two years as a Field Engineer in a number of projects in Asia and Africa. All the projects were late. There were many difficulties in the field which could have been avoided: Procurement team does not have anyone from a technical background so we always received incorrect tools / equipment, / cables...often we would have to scramble find the equipment in foreign countries and buy it ( no reimbursement was given) , the Project Manager quitting in the middle of the project ( this happens repeatedly ) no corporate accounts for people in the field so we are always trying to find money ( since all the projects are in 3rd and 4th world countries with limited or non existent banking services this is a huge problem) to buy food and necessary equipment. The company has very few people who have traveled abroad, not to mention 3rd world countries. This inexperience is a big negative in communication and apprehension of how different operations are in developing countries. This is a special weakness in the HR department. We ran into constant travel problems, visa issues and other employees being stuck in countries, no expense reports, reimbursement problems, etc…If you go out into the field expect to work 16 hours a day 7 days a week with no back office support.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease present clear roles of the job and what is expected at the time of the interview. Highlight challenges to potential employees and work on improving the technical skills of your procurement department. Employ Senior Management that understands conditions in developing countries and have engineering / technical backgrounds. Hiring finance people or Government employees to run Engineering projects is not the best way forward.

Worked for APR Energy? Contribute to the Community!