APR Energy Reviews

2.5

CEO
1 Rating

Global Company- Jacksonville's Little Treasure

I have been working at APR Energy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There needs to be a meeting of minds for any successful relationship. This is the case also when an employee is seeking the perfect employer. If you are an individual who is driven, motivated, has an entrepreneurial mind, someone who appreciates leaving a positive footprint on this world- then you have found the perfect company. Each day I come to work, I know I am doing something impactful- providing light to foster education and assist with recovering economies just to mention a few of the positives. In addition to creating jobs in the local communities, we also do a community development projects in the vicinity of each power plant that focuses on education or healthcare. What a great thing to be a part of! Now, to me, the great thing about working for a growing company is that I get to grow with the company and have a voice and impact on the future of the business. As I mentioned, it requires a special kind of person to "get it" and appreciate APR. We don't have an easy job and we do business in communities which are overtaken by corruption, countries that went through political changes, countries that are drained in conflict. Given all of this, we still get it done! We build power plant project faster that anyone in the industry, we have phenomenal talent supporting our global operation, and we do all this in the most compliant manner. Now, if that is not an accomplishment and something to be proud of, then I am not sure what is. If a desk job with repetitive tasks each day is something you thrive in, then APR is not the right place for you.

Cons

As with any growing company, there are growing pains.

Disorganized, poor morale, management dances around key issues

I have been working at APR Energy full-time

Pros

Can't think of much, really. They throw good parties and there is usually food around.

Cons

Benefits are not so great, very little vacation - what am I gonna do with 2 weeks??

Not a ton of opportunity for a global company. Unless you want to work in a plant you're limited.

Hold mangers accountable to their groups. It seems like support (operations, supply chain, etc) functions do whatever they need to get by and management doesn't have much of an influence.

1 Company and 2 Work Environments

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at APR Energy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Based out of Jacksonville, close to the beach
    Florida is a income tax free state

Cons

APR Energy is really two work environments in one company, something common in Global project based companies : Jacksonville based employees who work a regular 40 hour week and employees who travel to sites outside of the US. If your are in the former category, than this is an average job, with more then average tension between departments, lack of senior accountability and ok pay. But you are in Jacksonville so you can hit the beach after, often leave early, and the company provides free lunches on Fridays. However, if you are in the latter category and travel abroad it is a different story.

APR Energy has been having a hard time filling the roles that require overseas travel and has been putting pressure on existing employees to go out into the field. I volunteered thinking it would boost my value to the company, assist in fulfilling a needed role and help me make a difference. Huge mistake. The difference between what was stated as my new role and the reality is vast and not worth the time away from family and home for weeks/months on end. Forget about having a life if you travel abroad. In the field you will work 80+ hour week in very bad conditions, terrible food (if you can find it), lack of company funds, lack of appropriate accommodations, the company balking at having to pay local providers for services performed(!!!), little or no support from HR , logistics or procurement, constant harassment from Florida, etc…
    I know the last paragraph sounds unbelievable but, alas, it is true.

The Senior Managements attitude, once you land in your new third world home, which was sold to you as an “entrepreneurial adventure”, can be summarized as “is it done yet?” APR Energy is trying to become project-based but it has no clear structure so as PM you have all the responsibilities but no authority. Other department have functional managers, typical matrix, and work on their own schedule.

Since most people in the company have never traveled abroad this makes essentials like getting funds, renting vehicles, paying bills to local service providers or securing proper in-country visas in a developing country a moot point. Since APR brings online very profitable power plants for some very corrupt governments in hostile countries (ex. post-Gaddafi Libya, etc..), your own security is the least of anyone’s concern. Forget about emergency flights out of the country, in-country life-support, etc… be happy that you can book your own ticket back and get reimbursed later (another point of contention). The work is made more chaotic by the above mentioned lack of clear organization charts and roles. Many Senior Managers , and there are many, most scared for their own jobs, will call you with contradictor instructions due to infighting back in Florida at all hours of day and night. A suggestion from your end to improve a process or an idea brings reprimand. This is largely driven by the fact the Senior management in APR does not come from Engineering backgrounds and is not familiar with how to actually build a power plant, or anything else for that matter, in a third world country. This lack of experience among Senior Management, and supporting departments, results in wrong materials being sent to your site,(such as wrong generators… I am not making this up) different short-term goals being established which interfere with the completion of the project which leads to missed schedule milestone, etc, etc, etc…

In conclusion, if you can stomach the infighting, management by punishment, are in the Jacksonville area and take a desk job, then it might work out for you. Unless you are laid off or quit like two or three dozen people per year. But avoid any roles where you are sent abroad. DO not get sweet talked into it about the difference you will make, how the company will appreciate it, the little extra pay, etc..etc… You will regret it. The time away from those important in your life or having a life and the needless stress, work for works sake, multiple number of inexperienced Senior Managers ....it is not worth it.

But if you do decide to take a job with APR Energy, the economy is tough everywhere, either as a Jacksonville employee or one that travels abroad take this one grain of advice: Do not approach your new job with an open heart thinking that if you work hard, produce results, do whatever it takes to get your job done, you will be recognized and rewarded. You are barking up the wrong tree.

Be Honest

Lack of leadership and infighting result in a high tension and toxic culture... but they pay well.

Former Employee - Manager in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at APR Energy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Huge margins on contracts and lucrative business
    - Salaries trend higher than other major employers in the region
    - Located in a state with no income taxes
    - If you don't like someone you work with it's likely they won't be working with you in the near future as personnel flows through the company like a sieve.

Cons

- Obscene corporate culture and a general lack of professionalism runs throughout company
    - Executive team lacks motivation
    - Corporate infrastructure lacks scalability
    - Managers & Directors lack experience managing employees, which results in work for work's sake instead of working smarter and more efficient
    - Continual strife and infighting among departments
    - Toxic culture that will permeate your personal life and slowly degrade your well being
    - CEO & President lack employee contact, which gives illusion that their is no leadership and no one's driving the company or giving direction

Overhaul the organization and nominate a clear leader who will provide a mission to motivate employees. CEO & President need to retire to the board. Elect current COO to run company as he has the experience necessary to make the organization successful. Regionalization and executive turnover has promoted infighting and constant bickering between departments, which needs to be fixed. Constant urgency in your work and putting out fires results in a culture of high tension and lack of reward since you're always working from behind. Management needs to focus on creating an environment where employees are motivated to contribute based on their own interests and career development. Constant threats over job security have rendered staff unable to focus on making the business more efficient. A simple thank you for doing the small things would go a long way from the executive team but I believe they are too scared about losing their jobs to acknowledge others and push themselves out of the spotlight.

A Multicultural Gem in Jacksonville Powered by Ambition and Knowledge

Current Employee - Marketing in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Marketing in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at APR Energy full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company has an energetic vibe when you first walk through the doors. Each employee is a contributor and all are passionate about the positive impact they can have on the business. I have yet to come across a slacker in this organization, and the benefits are like none other I have ever had, from 401K matching per paycheck, to company sponsored events, a dozen paid holidays PLUS minimally two weeks vacation - that's unheard of in my experience. Not to mention that fact that APR Energy's location in a port city on the coast of Florida is ideal. So, you get a beach town/ relaxed vibe, from hardcore workers, with a level of work-life balance. There are so many positives.

Cons

I have yet to come across any cons, but will update if I do. Personally, I think a workplace is what you make it - this is a fun, challenging and very productive working environment.

Keep doing what you're doing, because it's exciting to be a part of the company's growth. It's clear you've built a dedicated staff and a sustainable business. More business, more business!! Let's go get us some more business!

Harsh sales techniques and harsher working environments

Former Employee - Senior Sales Representative in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Representative in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at APR Energy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A company with a lot of potential in a growing market. A company for those with a sense of adventure / tolerance for pain as the projects are in very remote areas of developing / dangerous countries.

Cons

Very disorganized, often borderline dishonest to Clients in order to secure sales and promises of project deadlines, dishonest to employees, regarding hours worked / conditions/ amount of travel/ structure of organization. Termination of most valued employees ( according to colleagues), very high turnover. Pay is on the low market end for travel / work in developing / hostile environments.

Please provide a clear sales guidelines, honest SM, Project Directors and deadlines.

A frenzied office and project approach

Current Employee - Project Administrator/Coordinator in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Project Administrator/Coordinator in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at APR Energy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Always a very active office in Jacksonville,

Cons

Too much turnaround of employees ...the best employees who have provided constructive criticism are let, go no org charts, inexperienced / undependable Senior Management, overall disorganization, apprehension of employment, favoritism, large increases in workload and hours without compensation, too much of a turnaround.

Please create SOP's, allow feedback from your employees without fear of punishment, hire knowledgeable Senior PM's and Project Directors,

A day in the life of Energy

Current Employee - Logistics Coordinator in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Logistics Coordinator in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at APR Energy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Young Company and even younger Employees

Cons

Not enough PTO
    No hardline SOP

Know that the world does not revolve around the company. Everyone has a home life to tend to.

Too many Chiefs..not enough Indians.

Former Employee - Site Manager in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Site Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at APR Energy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company and the overall staff is young and energetic so the mood in the office is hectic, which is nice. Jacksonville is located on the coast so a big plus of working here is living by the beach. The company is growing quickly and it is exciting to see many new opportunities opening up.

Cons

Recently separated from the company I can say that nowhere have I found the above phrase, in Title, to be more true then at APR Energy. I was a Site Manager for 3 projects in a couple third world countries. I stuck around so long ( year +) due to the economy. This is a common story at APR Energy. People are there because they either can't find other employment or are in FL due to family reasons. On all the projects I was involved with the Project Manager assigned either quit or was laid off. You can imagine the chaos this causes on a fast track site. You will find yourself answering to many Senior Project Manager / Senior Managers most of whom have very little international experience and only rudimentary knowledge of engineering and power systems. This is a very management top- heavy organization but because it is in a very specialized market the typical negatives of such an organization ( turf wars, no agreed upon / different procedures incorrect schedules, late materials, different directions,..) are accentuated.

The young staff represent non-STEM degrees who have migrated to this market, with no Engineers anywhere to be seen… a first for me in a Power company. Combined with a management heavy organization this often equals chaos in drawing take-offs, scheduling,forecasts, issues with travels, visas, timely delivery of correct material to site, no SOPs, ...you get the picture.

Here is a short checklist for those thinking of employment here:

Want many bosses: check.

Want many bosses who issue different directions: check.

Want bosses who want to hold teleconferences at 12 am or 4am site time (where you are located ) because it is convenient for them on the US East Coast: check.

Want bosses who have never completed a similar project to the one you are completing: check.

Want a company with constant turn-around and management by fear: check.

Employ at least some experienced people, cut down on the number of Chiefs to avoid more turf wars, educate existing employees or hire those with an Engineering background not lifelong-Govt employees to run the PMs.

A very, hhhmmm...."challenging" experience...

Current Employee - Procurement Manager in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Procurement Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at APR Energy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The staff is very diverse with many colleagues newly minted US citizens. Fast paced work environment. Because the company has projects all over the world we regularly interact with team members in different countries and different timezones. So, we have work ongoing 24/7. You are always ON, 24/7, and part of a live project. When a project is completed you do feel like you made a difference.....!

Cons

In the procurement department we really need an Engineer as we are not familiar with the technical aspects of the plants our teams build abroad. This constantly results in incorrect materials being sent to the plants and then re-ordering and last minute / midnight shipping. Having multiple bosses is very tiring and frustrating. Often Senior Management does not communicate together and issues contradictory decision to team members. I wish we had a clear line of communication instead of brand new "experts" being hired and laid-off on a regular basis. This creates an uncertain environment where everyone is afraid for their job and hunkers down. This is a big negative in the Field Teams. Sometimes multiple project managers, come and go, per one project! This really disrupts the whole project and procurement process, delays our projects and creates long work hours, needlessly.

Please establish SOP for the whole company that define how different company sections are to interact and who has authority over whom. Also, please hire experienced travel personnel / coordinators who are familiar with issues in developing countries. Maybe an experienced travel consultant ?
    It would be great if we had Senior Managers with an Engineering background to assist in reading drawings!

APR Energy Photos