APS Healthcare

Greg Scott

Disappointing

Former Employee - Clinical Care Manager in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Clinical Care Manager in Columbia, MD

I worked at APS Healthcare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Ability to work from home during inclement weather; team leaders appreciate and acknowledge good work ;

Cons

Position entails being stuck behind a desk with little freedom to move about. Company is smaller than they indicated in the interview. Limited flexibility in change to work hours. Benefits were not great.

Consider more flexibility in terms of hours worked and ability to work from home especially since it would be cost-effective for the company.

Care manager

Former Employee - Care Manager in South Portland, ME
    Former Employee - Care Manager in South Portland, ME

I worked at APS Healthcare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Peers, comradery, the ability to enhance the delivery of care across the state.

Cons

Management. In the clinical arena, those who are promoted are the least capable and, not surprisingly, least likely to make waves. Expect to be managed by incompetent, lazy individuals while the hard-working types consistently make management look good without any acknowledgment of their efforts.

Hire and promote those who are doing the good work. Not those who will make you look good by not speaking the truth.

Boring work but great for work life balance!

Current Employee - Clinician
    Current Employee - Clinician

I have been working at APS Healthcare full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I put in 15 years of direct care prior to coming here and was burnt out. I have been here more than 5 years now and would not leave until my kids leave home. The work is boring and repetitive and not very challenging but the work life balance is excellent. Opportunities for remote work and you leave your work at work when the work day ends. My local co-workers are like an extended family. The corporate staff is no where to be seen unless you need them. Responses from HR are timely and helpful. Salary is competitive to the market and even slightly higher based on reports from ex-coworkers who have left to do similar work elsewhere.

Cons

Most positions are based on a contract with a state office or health plan and those contracts are re-bid periodically. Poor technology. Poor corporate IT support. Employee Helpdesk Level I is outsourced overseas and staff are not familiar with proprietary products. Little room for advancement because we all love our jobs and do not leave.

I love my local managers. I do not have to deal with corporate. Despite many changes in the corporate structure and corporate drama since I started, we rarely feel the effects at the local level because our managers do a good job as buffers.

Clinical Psychologist

Current Employee - Clinical Psychologist in Caguas, PR
    Current Employee - Clinical Psychologist in Caguas, PR

I have been working at APS Healthcare as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

We are an interdisciplinary clinic.

Cons

We need more clinics around the Island.

All very professional.

poor job security

Current Employee - RN Case Manager in White Plains, NY
    Current Employee - RN Case Manager in White Plains, NY

I have been working at APS Healthcare as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

great benefits and good compensation, like the online training modules and online compliance training, great time-off opportunities, office space and accommodations, some friendly co-workers

Cons

chaotic management, poor IT support, choppy collaboration with corporate, unrealistic case load expectation, increased focus on metrics and less caring for for beneficiaries, limited or non-existent promotion opportunities

better collaboration with corporate management, better training plan for new employees, improve communication skills of upper management, better training for leadership

collaborative teamwork in reviews of CA State County Seat Mental Health central offices

Current Employee - Consumer Family Member, APS Health Care in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Consumer Family Member, APS Health Care in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at APS Healthcare part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A good good opportunity to work collaboratively with APS team members in reviewing, interviewing, and compiling final reports with results of the review...the access, timeliness, folllow up, and recovery of the mental health consumers at the Mental Health agencies (those who work with Medi-Cal). The scheduling offers great flexibility so that I can work another part time job.

Cons

Sometimes the travel is a bit extensive to outlying areas, but we are allowed travel time to and from our sork site.

I am recently retired from 39 years of teaching and counseling in the San Diego Community College District. I have grown so much over the years in my career, and have been continually learning, working with students, co-workers,and using critical thinking and personal skills to be effective and humanistic, yet professional. I have worked for APS health care part time for the past 3 years, being part of team site reviews of mental health agencies during my break times from the college. Learning this new job has been very stimulating and most interesting, and yes, exciting. I am so pleased that at this point of my life that I have the ability to be trained and then work successfully in a completely different area that my educational background. Now that I am retired from my counseling job, I seek part time work that will give me the opportunity to use all of my above skills, plus learn new skills and utilitze them in a related or new field. I am very people oriented, so it is important that I also work with people in a collaborative manner. It is important that the company I work for has strong ethics and values, and is willing to be open minded about hiring a competent "senior". It is important to me to be able to work in an environment where I can contribute and be of excellent service to that company. Compensation is open, however, I would like to start at $20.00 an hour or better. Health benefits are not an issue, as I do have Medi Care lifetime benefits..

Lack of Experienced Management

I worked at APS Healthcare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The job provided an opportunity to learn the Mental Health side of Health Insurance. Relaxed atmosphere and accomodating when time away from the office was requested.

Cons

Very few of the leadership team had business experience. Often times they had a Clinical background and made decisions based on that point of view. There was lack of structured training and no room for advancement or personal growth.

Consider investing in leadership who understands how 'Business' should be conducted. Provide opportunities for employees to grow and reach higher levels of success.

Mixed experience at APS Healthcare

I worked at APS Healthcare

Pros

Salary and benefits are generous, very comfortable workspace, advanced technology and equipment for all employees.

Cons

Lack of strategic planning, poor communication from upper management, nepotism among upper management.

Very Professional/A Wonderful Experience

Current Employee - LVN in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - LVN in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at APS Healthcare as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Wonderful and professional people to work with. The management was excellent, great leadership qualities. The patients were also a pleasure to work with and the overall experience was very pleasant.

Cons

I only wish the assignment had lasted longer, I would work for APS Health Care again in a heartbeat.

Keep up the good work.

The ship has all but sunk.

Former Employee - Administrative in White Plains, NY
    Former Employee - Administrative in White Plains, NY

I worked at APS Healthcare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked with some really fine people here.

Cons

The atmosphere in the corporate office was tainted by cronyism and an archaic management style where bullying and intimidation were condoned. Overall a pretty unpleasant work environment. Now the lawsuit from UA suing those in the executive corner that were steering the ship. It's a sad end to what could have been something so much better if it had the right leadership.

I don't think there are any people left in management ... they managed to manage themselves out of a job.