AQR Capital Management Reviews

3.8
Cliff Asness, Ph.D.

1. Focus on employees is increasing

I have been working at AQR Capital Management

Pros

While the firm had not had to think about more transparency on careers given it's size, that has changed. There is new effort in learning and development, continuous focus on feedback to employees and more openness to mobility and having employees try new roles. VERY accessible senior leaders, who don't want to be told "how great things are" rather "what can be done better." Incredible culture where almost everyone truly likes working together and being part of what AQR is.

Cons

Space -- the firm's growth has caused real strain.-- management and facilities planning need to look ahead and plan more strategically very reactive currently. Compensation is decent, not a differentiator and given the view of the best intellects in the industry can sometimes feel a little disconnected, but fair overall. Innovation is part of the culture, but can be pushed further.

Advice to Management

SLOW DOWN HIRING and let the firm absorb people. Great improvements in managing people and creating a better culture for them through outings, learning, and overall involvement with leaders.

Amazing growth, but high people turnover and old systems

Current Employee - GSS Research in Greenwich, CT
    Current Employee - GSS Research in Greenwich, CT

I have been working at AQR Capital Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company has seen very impressive growth that seems to keep going. I think good business prospects going forward. Smart, dedicated people working here.

Cons

Very high personnel turnover in key teams like Trading, Macro or PM. It seems it's mostly politics and low comp rather than performance. Comp is comparable to a typical mutual fund, but low given the type of talent that works here and the reputation of the firm. Our systems are pretty old and clunky. They're always breaking and you can waste hours trying to do something simple. Massive effort to improve infrastructure is under way, but lacks focus.

Advice to Management

Invest in people and in infrastructure

Great Environment for Developers

I have been working at AQR Capital Management full-time

Pros

AQR was a breath of fresh air coming from a large bank. Things move fast and there is hardly any red tape. Developers are encouraged to learn new technical skills, rather than being pigeon-holed into whatever technology you've used in the past. We have the opportunity to work closely with various business teams, and most of the people I work with both in and out of IT are smart, motivated, and easy to get along with as well.

Cons

Really the only down side for me is the commute from NJ. However, everyone is set up on day one with remote access, and when there is a need to work from home, you have that flexibility.

A great place to work as a Software Developer

Current Employee - Software Developer in Greenwich, CT
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Greenwich, CT

I have been working at AQR Capital Management full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I often joke that "everyone at AQR is smarter than me." That is a large part of what makes working at AQR a fulfilling experience (the pay, location and the rest of work life are pretty good too). My colleagues are smart, passionate, hardworking and interest of to be around. IT is seen as a major driver of what makes the business successful (we are a quant shop after all) and allows us to operate at the scale that we do, instead of just being a cost-center.

Cons

The company has been growing very quickly and there have definitely been growing pains. Also, open plan seating is all the rage across corporate America and AQR is no exception; some people like open plan offices but many folks find it distracting.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on what makes employees happy and productive, in order to maintain a workforce that is smart, hardworking and can maintain the company's reputation as a leader in its field.

Amazing

Current Employee - Vice President in Greenwich, CT
    Current Employee - Vice President in Greenwich, CT

I have been working at AQR Capital Management

Pros

Smart hard working people, Dynamic environment, world class technology, world class technology leadership and vision. Great comp, amazing benefits, short ride to NYC

Cons

massive growth has lead to some growing pains

Advice to Management

Continue the relentless pursuit of in innovation

Analyst

I have been working at AQR Capital Management full-time

Pros

Really great work environment, smart people. I have been here for almost 3 years and constantly feel challenged. Having a good manager has helped me to develop immensely during my time here at AQR.

Cons

Commute can be difficult, fast paced growth has held to a bit of disconnect within groups

Advice to Management

transparency and communication are key

Awesome company to work for

I have been working at AQR Capital Management full-time

Pros

Very welcoming environment that focuses on continuous learning and working with others.

Cons

Growing at a rapid pace.

Great Career Opportunities and Working Environment

Current Employee - Senior Developer in Greenwich, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Developer in Greenwich, CT

I have been working at AQR Capital Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The IT Department is growing rapidly and bringing on many great people. This creates many opportunities for existing and new employees to advance in their career. The impact these new hires are making is starting to be noticed across the board in the quality of of infrastructure, applications and user support. Working here feels like being part of great team. Management is open to change and very supportive with requests for additional hardware, software and tools. Every single request of mine for tools or software and additional human resources has been approved so far. Nobody is holding me back. We work in very modern offices with free parking and the commute to NYC, Westchester and North Jersey is comfortable and relatively fast.

Cons

A big challenge is upgrading the aging software and application infrastructure. AQR started out as a small hedge fund and is now of the largest Asset Managers. It can be very challenging and also rewarding to be part of an effort to upgrade the infrastructure to scale in every respect to the growing demands of the business.

Advice to Management

Keep supporting the growth of your business by investing generously in IT and people. This will pay off in a long term sustainable business that will continue attracting very bright people to business and technology roles.

Forward looking and introspective

Current Employee - IT Department in Greenwich, CT
    Current Employee - IT Department in Greenwich, CT

I have been working at AQR Capital Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked at big and small banks/financial institutions before, and am able to appreciate the opportunities that the firm as a whole, and the IT department in general tends to offer here. They have a startup size mentality (without the red tape hassles that come with big bank) and are willing to support and take care of their employees like a big bank would do. Thats a tough balance to find, and i would recommend working here. The management is very approachable, and tends to help you in the direction you want to go, versus hearing you out with no actions, or just shutting you down. They are also excited to hear new and cutting edge solutions and often support you in your research by sending you on conferences/training. The benefits are absolutely top notch here when it comes to you and your family.

Cons

Like any firm, they have legacy systems that need some work on, but to their credit, they are actively looking at this, and improving these systems.

Advice to Management

They are already doing this - to continue their focus on finding out the pain points in their existing systems and make a solid push for that.

A growing firm!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenwich, CT

I have been working at AQR Capital Management full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity to prove yourself, since the firm is growing so rapidly A firm that truly cares about its employees The new spaces being designed are superb

Cons

Some of the older spaces are cramped and due for an upgrade

Advice to Management

Try to keep that 'small company' / nimble culture as long as you can.

RSS Feed </> Embed